Jump to content
raymac46

Levels of a Linux User

Recommended Posts

V.T. Eric Layton

Off topic, but speaking of Vikings...

 

Erik, I just finished reading two books on our ancestors from the North. You might be interested in giving them a go. They were very enlightening; purged all the mythical BS and stuck mostly to the known facts.

 

Northmen: The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD

by

 

Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas

by

Lots of looting, pillaging, bloody encounters with non-Northmen, sea adventures, COLD weather, HOT blood!
 
Enjoy! :)
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Off topic, but speaking of Vikings...

 

Erik, I just finished reading two books on our ancestors from the North. You might be interested in giving them a go. They were very enlightening; purged all the mythical BS and stuck mostly to the known facts.

 

Northmen: The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD

by

 

Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas

by

Lots of looting, pillaging, bloody encounters with non-Northmen, sea adventures, COLD weather, HOT blood!
 
Enjoy! :)

 

Very cool. I'll have to add it to my queue of audiobooks. I generally go throughout a book every two weeks. I listen on my commute to and from work, on my workouts and when I go out to the park on the weekends. We have a massive 1200 acre park in the city called City Park with tons of nature stuff.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

Not sure you'll find those in audio book versions. Ya' never know till you look, I guess. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Not sure you'll find those in audio book versions. Ya' never know till you look, I guess. :)

It's very easy to find them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abarbarian
17 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Off topic, but speaking of Vikings...

 

Erik, I just finished reading two books on our ancestors from the North. You might be interested in giving them a go. They were very enlightening; purged all the mythical BS and stuck mostly to the known facts.

 

Northmen: The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD

by John Haywood

and

 

Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas

by Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough

Lots of looting, pillaging, bloody encounters with non-Northmen, sea adventures, COLD weather, HOT blood!
 
Enjoy! :)

 

Thanks for the links they look like interesting reading.

 

I once ran a one man tour operation and called it Bloodaxe Tours. I was based in York at the time and the Jorvik Center had recently been opened so I cashed in on all the Erik Bloodaxe promotions they were running.

 

https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/about/jorvik-story/

 

😎

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

 

Thanks for the links they look like interesting reading.

 

I once ran a one man tour operation and called it Bloodaxe Tours. I was based in York at the time and the Jorvik Center had recently been opened so I cashed in on all the Erik Bloodaxe promotions they were running.

 

https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/about/jorvik-story/

 

😎

 

That's pretty cool, thanks for the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebrke

Back to the first few posts:  I'm level 9, simply because nothing I do requires anything but FOSS. When you get old, your needs simplify.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
19 minutes ago, ebrke said:

Back to the first few posts:  I'm level 9, simply because nothing I do requires anything but FOSS. When you get old, your needs simplify.

 

So no gaming (need nvidia  or radeon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

I don't actually game on Linux, yet I still run Nvidia because I find that the graphics performance of my Nvidia card is soooo much better in Linux using the proprietary drivers than the generics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

Well noveau is kind of garbage.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunrat
19 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well noveau is kind of garbage.

 

That depends what graphics card you have and what you do with it. Nouveau works fine for my older system with GTX 560 Ti, but I use Nvidia drivers for my other system with GTX 970.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
1 minute ago, sunrat said:

 

That depends what graphics card you have and what you do with it. Nouveau works fine for my older system with GTX 560 Ti, but I use Nvidia drivers for my other system with GTX 970.

 

Well in their defense, they have to reverse engineer everything as nvidia doesn't  contribute at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

I have a GTX950 card in my oldest desktop but I haven't bothered to add the NVIDIA drivers at all. The machine is only used to play music, and I have MX-18 installed which doesn't put much of a graphics load on the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abarbarian
On 3/6/2020 at 12:36 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't actually game on Linux, yet I still run Nvidia because I find that the graphics performance of my Nvidia card is soooo much better in Linux using the proprietary drivers than the generics.

 

I am surprised that you do not play your favourite game on linux as it gets a Platinum rating on the Proton database.

 

https://www.protondb.com/app/4500

 

:w00tx100:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

I don't game on Linux because I ONLY play my own installed games on my machines. And it would be a big PITA to run them in VB or some other virtual environment within Slackware... and performance would suffer. I play on my crippled MS Windows system with about 35,000fps frame rate, so NO STUTTER at all. I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
20 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't game on Linux because I ONLY play my own installed games on my machines. And it would be a big PITA to run them in VB or some other virtual environment within Slackware... and performance would suffer. I play on my crippled MS Windows system with about 35,000fps frame rate, so NO STUTTER at all. I'm happy.

 

He is talking about playing the exact same game on linux natively using steam+proton. Plus, most window's games perform better on linux due to the lack of overhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abarbarian
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

 

He is talking about playing the exact same game on linux natively using steam+proton. Plus, most window's games perform better on linux due to the lack of overhead.

 

Not only Steam. There is also GOG.com where all the games are DRM free and downloadable and playable off line.

 

https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity

 

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'm happy.

 

Phew that's a relief. 😎

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bookmem
On 2/28/2020 at 8:50 AM, securitybreach said:

Check out Genymotion

 

 

Or  use scrcpy to display and control your Android device from your computer.

Gennymotion might be great but it cost over $10/mo.  No thanks.  Not when Memu for Windows is free and works great.  Still a level 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

I don't play standard (popular) games. I ONLY play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games these days, and the one in particular that I play regularly is HEAVILY modded... can't do that on Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
57 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't play standard (popular) games. I ONLY play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games these days, and the one in particular that I play regularly is HEAVILY modded... can't do that on Steam.

 

Yes, you can mod games on steam using their own app (steamlab) or you can edit them in the games configuration directory just like you do now. There is literally no difference in modding a game.

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Well, then... waaaaaay too much work involved for me to start gaming in Linux. It works fine for me in Windows. I don't care to take the time to fix what ain't broke.

 

Thanks for the info, anyway.

  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saturnian

I run only Linux at home. I might use "non-free" software at times but I prefer not to.

 

I'm happy that I've been able to go Linux-only at home, but I'd try running Windows in a VM in Linux, or else I'd run Windows on its own computer, if I really needed that OS, like for the job or something.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauser

I am a Level 8 Linux user. I use free software when I can, but when it doesn't work I will use non-free software as long as it works. I donate when I can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...