Got This When I Booted Up My System Today

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

PANIC! Kernel segmentation fault; core dumped...

And then I noticed the parenthetical remark on the far right side of the screen:

(HA! Just kidding!)

It was "Fortune". Fortune is an app I have going on CLI. Whenever I start a terminal or boot to RL3 w/ no X running (standard for Slackware), Fortune puts some quirky saying or quote on the screen. It's fun. Bruno told me about Fortune years ago. I've had it enabled on all my systems/Linuxes since then.

Heh! It did phreak me out a bit this morning, though. ;)

• Haha 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, Linux users, or at least me, are very alert to that word "panic" whenever they're watching the boot screen scroll up the monitor. ;)

It's funny because right below the Fortune comment, was this:

ericsbane07 Linux 4.4.208 login: (flashing cursor)

... but it was definitely the "panic" that I noticed first. Once I saw the normal login below it, that's when I looked up at the Fortune comment again... and laughed out loud. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

I've been using CLI w/ Fortune enabled for nearly 15 years and I don't think I've ever seen a repeated Fortune comment.

https://linux.die.net/man/6/fortune

The fortune sayings are stored in /usr/share/games/fortunes/ on most systems. There are a BUNCH of them (18 text files @ 3.8M).

I had more kernel panics than you can shake a stick at because of an eleven month old ASUS motherboard that went bad. I couldn't figure it out until about a month later when it wouldn't even try to start. The only other time was trying the 5.5 kernel. It seems my hardware doesn't get along with the 5.5 kernel. It seems to like the 5.4 kernel.