V.T. Eric Layton

Israeli firm buys Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN

securitybreach

Nord is garbage, use Mullvad instead.

securitybreach

On October 21, 2019, a security researcher disclosed on Twitter a server breach of NordVPN involving a leaked private key. The cyberattack granted the attackers root access, which was used to generate an HTTPS certificate that enabled the attackers to perform man-in-the-middle attacks to intercept the communications of NordVPN users. In response, NordVPN confirmed that one of its servers based in Finland was breached in March 2018. The exploit was the result of a vulnerability in a contracted data center's remote administration system that affected the Finland server between January 31 and March 20, 2018. According to NordVPN, the data center disclosed the breach to NordVPN on April 13, 2019, and NordVPN ended its relationship with the data center. Security researchers and media outlets criticized NordVPN for failing to promptly disclose the breach after the company became aware of it. NordVPN stated that the company initially planned to disclose the breach after it completed its internal audits. On October 29, 2019, NordVPN announced additional audits and a bug bounty program. Approximately 2,000 usernames and passwords of NordVPN accounts were leaked in credential stuffing attacks that were reported on November 1, 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NordVPN#History

It took them a year and a half to report the incident and even then, it was only because they were outed.

Now Mullvad doesn't ever even ask for any information, including an email address. You can even just send them cash in the mail with a generated token.

XGhzawP.png

They have clients for all OSs and also offer wireguard and openvpn configs as well.

V.T. Eric Layton

If I decide to drop PIA, I'll definitely be doing my homework regarding a new VPN. Thanks for the info, Josh. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yup, I sent them cash for 5 months a few weeks ago. It took 2 weeks to get to Sweden but it worked fine.

• Like 1