Jump to content
marcos9999

Problem with internet conectivity. --Resolved--

Recommended Posts

Diagnostic run on Network

 

Problem found

 

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device detected or resource (DNS server) is not responding

 

The result is a constant blinking of the asterisk alert bell, when internet cable is removed it stops...

 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If me, I would reboot your network devices. I would also try a different Ethernet cable. Ethernet cables are critical network devices but they can be easily damaged. You might also try a different Ethernet port on your router. They can go bad too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I rebooted the modem, flipped the cables but no changes. Are these the devices you were referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the modem. If you have a separate router, that too. And when you say flipped, did you try a different cable?

 

Do other devices in the house lose Internet connectivity too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I could try one more thing with the cable. Not sure because this is the only computer that is wired. Other devices are wireless and no problem. This is a problem with this desktop or the connection to it. I'll try a entire new cable. There is an extension of the cable that runs in the wall but I'll just connect it and bypass the wall..

 

Thanks for your support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do other devices in the house lose Internet connectivity too?

Not sure because this is the only computer that is wired. Other devices are wireless and no problem.

Wireless devices are other devices. And the fact they don't lose Internet connection tells us the modem and your Internet connection are good.

 

So the problem appears to be with your computer, or the Ethernet switch/port built into the router.

 

Understand routers, modems, WAPs (wireless access points), and 4-port Ethernet switches are totally discrete (separate) network devices even if they are integrated into a single box.

 

Routers,
all
routers, are
wired only
and they connect (or isolate) two networks. Typically those two networks are our local network which is everything on our side of the router, and the Internet.

 

The modem, also
wired only
, serves as the "gateway" device to connect our local network to the ISP/Internet. Technically, we can connect
one
computer via Ethernet to the modem and access the Internet. No router, WAP, or Ethernet switch needed. That scenario would make that one computer a local network consisting of just one computer.

 

The WAP provide access for our wireless devices. The WAP connects via wire to the router.

 

The 4-port Ethernet switch lets us connect 4 or more wired (Ethernet) devices to the router.

 

"Wireless router" is marketing term only. There is no such thing, technically speaking, as a "wireless" router. A wireless router is simply an integrated device that integrates the router, WAP and 4-port switch onto a common circuit board in one box that shares a single power supply. 3 discrete devices that serve 3 discrete functions integrated into one box. A wireless router connects to a separate modem via an Ethernet cable.

 

A wireless router is similar to a stereo or surround sound audio/video "receiver". Instead of a separate tuner, pre-amplifier and amplifier, all three devices are integrated into one chassis and is "marketed" as a stereo or A/V "Receiver".

 

"Residential gateway" is another marketing term for an integrated device that integrates the modem in with the wireless router. 4 discrete devices that just happen to share a circuit board, case and power supply.

 

Some "residential gateway" devices include a 5th discrete device, a VoIP device to provide Internet telephone service.

 

Clear as mud, huh?

 

Any way, it appears your WAP, modem and Internet connection are all good. The problem lies somewhere between this one computer and the modem.

Edited by Digerati

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your msWindows up to date - is there an update that it downloaded and is waiting to install ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Digirati,

 

Did my mother board gone bad? Yes it is in my computer and I've did a safe boot and nothing, same problem. What do you think I should do? The diagnostics don't give me much other than "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device detected or resource (DNS server) is not responding" However the connection does work but just keep bleeping every 5 seconds as if you had inserted a flash drive or any other connection. How can I test my hardware at this point? If I remove the ethernet cable it stops. When hardware check runs is says board is working fine (ethernet board that is). Should I re install the system? One clue is, it happened right after I installed antivirus software kaspersky, I did removed it at one point but it didn't make any difference.

Please help

Edited by marcos9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Did my mother board gone bad?
We need your system specifications (model numbers, version of Windows, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows 10 Pro

version 1903

installed on 8/10/2019

OS build 18362.295

 

Processor: Intel ® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz 3.90 GHz

RAM 16.0 GB

System type 64-bit x64 based processor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

installed on 8/10/2019
So this is a new build? Did it connect fine initially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a update windows install I believe since I never install it myself. And no, it didn't present any problems. The problems begun maybe 3 weeks after that. It connects fine and the internet is just as fast and reliable. But there is this glitch as if something interrupts the connection or the asterisk sound comes up and if you're writing anything it gets interrupted to then resume again, and it happens every 5 sec. I I remove the internet cable the problem goes away. No new build. I put this computer together about 5 years ago and it has performed without a hitch for all these years.

Edited by marcos9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the update by MS installed a new driver for your NIC and it is not the correct driver. I'm not sure what you mean by "asterisk" sound. I suspect it might be the connecting and disconnecting sound made when a USB device is plugged in and removed.

 

Look back into update history and see if any ethernet drivers were installed.

 

You could also, create a restore point then roll back the NIC driver and see if that solves the problem.

 

I don't run Win 10 but I have not let MS install drivers since Windows 2000 when I lost internet connectivity completely when a new driver was installed.

Edited by zlim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you try a different Ethernet cable? These are critical but fragile network devices that are easily damaged.

 

Also, try a different Ethernet port on your router. They can go bad too.

 

If a different cable and port do not resolve the issue, then I would suspect the NIC (network interface card). Assuming this NIC is integrated with your motherboard, you can't physically remove the hardware. But you can uninstall the driver, do a "cold" reboot, and hope the device is properly restored.

 

By "cold", I mean to uninstall the driver, then shut down Windows, power off the computer then unplug the computer from the wall (or, if your PSU has one, flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU to off or "0"). Wait 10 - 15 seconds, reconnect power and boot normally. Hopefully the device will be found as new hardware and Windows will install the necessary drivers, initialize the device and you will be good to go.

 

If you still have the same issue, you can install another NIC. As seen here, a 1Gbps (1000Mbps) is not very expensive. Alternatively, you could install a wifi card into this PC and not worry about Ethernet. I recommend a dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11ac card to ensure the best performance and future proofing. I also recommend one with external antennas as they move the antennas out of the case interior. The better ones have detachable antennas for even more flexibility and potentially greater range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a different cable and port do not resolve the issue, then I would suspect the NIC (network interface card).

 

 

Or, quite possibly, an issue with the router. Are there any other devices working off this router?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All other devices that are running wireless are fine. The only thing left to check is to check the wired connection with another computer. I did plugged a mac laptop on it with no problems but I'll try with another pc

 

Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My laptop PC when connected to the same wire didn't show any problem. So the problem is in my desktop. Now is time to see if is a software issue or a hardware one?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no VPN involved?

 

in a command prompt enter in the following command:

ping 1.1.1.1

 

If you get a reply from 1.1.1.1,

enter in the following 2 commands

nslookup time.gov

nslookup time.gov 1.1.1.1

 

and post the results.

Edited by crp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My laptop PC when connected to the same wire didn't show any problem. So the problem is in my desktop. Now is time to see if is a software issue or a hardware one?

 

Yes - as suggested with the driver uninstall and cold reboot steps listed above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm definitely NOT the MS Windows expert around here, but from my previous experience with Windows and since this issue began just three weeks after your new install of the OS, my guess would be software.

 

Your router should have port lights on it for each ethernet port. When you have your this system hooked to that router via ethernet, does the port light light up? If so, probably not the NIC.

 

I'm not familiar with Win 10 so much, but in Win 7 you could access the Networking portion of Windows and make changes. I would suggest deleting the current auto-made network connection and create a new one. See if that does any good.

 

For the moment, I have no better suggestions. :(

 

Here's an older posting, but the troubleshooting steps are still valid:

 

https://answers.micr...80-4065be3afa33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
since this issue began just three weeks after you new install of the OS, my guess would be software.
I'm confused. I don't see what 3 weeks has to do with this. If the new install of the OS was the problem, it seems to me the issue would have surfaced immediately after the install. The fact it worked for 3 weeks suggests to me the software was good. That's not to say a software update after the install did not cause problems, but it is safe to assume that same update would have been installed whether the OS was installed 1 week ago, 3 weeks ago, or 3 years ago.

 

Lights flashing on the switch port do suggest some data is hitting the port, but those could be collisions too. My point is, lights do not eliminate the NIC as the problem. I note

 

The fact the wireless devices work fine tells us the router works fine since internally to a wireless router, the "integrated" WAP (wireless access point) connects to the router in the same manner the "integrated" 4-port Ethernet switch does. With the problem only happening with Ethernet connections, that suggests the cable, the port on the switch, or the NIC - hence the suggestion way above to try a different cable and a different port. However, since the OP tried a notebook connected to the same port with the same cable and that worked, it once again points to the computer itself - hence the suggestion to uninstall the NIC drivers, do a cold boot, and see what happens.

 

@marcos - can you log into your router's admin menu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it said:

 

Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1..Please check the name and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
since this issue began just three weeks after you new install of the OS, my guess would be software.
I'm confused. I don't see what 3 weeks has to do with this. If the new install of the OS was the problem, it seems to me the issue would have surfaced immediately after the install. The fact it worked for 3 weeks suggests to me the software was good. That's not to say a software update after the install did not cause problems, but it is safe to assume that same update would have been installed whether the OS was installed 1 week ago, 3 weeks ago, or 3 years ago.

 

Lights flashing on the switch port do suggest some data is hitting the port, but those could be collisions too. My point is, lights do not eliminate the NIC as the problem. I note

 

The fact the wireless devices work fine tells us the router works fine since internally to a wireless router, the "integrated" WAP (wireless access point) connects to the router in the same manner the "integrated" 4-port Ethernet switch does. With the problem only happening with Ethernet connections, that suggests the cable, the port on the switch, or the NIC - hence the suggestion way above to try a different cable and a different port. However, since the OP tried a notebook connected to the same port with the same cable and that worked, it once again points to the computer itself - hence the suggestion to uninstall the NIC drivers, do a cold boot, and see what happens.

 

@marcos - can you log into your router's admin menu?

 

 

Change cable and ports, not change. How do I unistall the NIC driver? What if I buy a ethernet card and connected it there?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> If the new install of the OS was the problem, it seems to me the issue would have surfaced immediately after the install.

 

I'm assuming that after the fresh install, MS sent some updates down the pike that screwed things up.

 

> Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1...

 

What are you trying to ping with that? If you want your system to ping your router to check your network connection, you need to:

 

 

ping 192.168.1.1 

 

 

https://www.dummies....network-router/

 

Were you trying to ping your free DNS service?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> How do I unistall the NIC driver?

 

In the old MS Windows days, you did this from the Device Manager app. I don't know if Win 10 still has that option. :(

 

===

 

Ah! Evidently, it still works in a similar way in Win 10:

 

https://support.micr...-update-drivers

 

===

 

Anyway, I'm steppin' out of this conversation. I'll let the Windows folks continue to assist you. I don't want to confuse any of the issues here.

 

Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> If the new install of the OS was the problem, it seems to me the issue would have surfaced immediately after the install.

 

I'm assuming that after the fresh install, MS sent some updates down the pike that screwed things up.

 

> Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1...

 

What are you trying to ping with that? If you want your system to ping your router to check your network connection, you need to:

 

ping 192.168.1.1 

 

https://www.dummies....network-router/

 

Were you trying to ping your free DNS service?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1.1.1

Ping whatever freakin' external address you want.

 

it said:

 

Ping request could not find host 1.1.1.1..Please check the name and try again.

what about the nslookups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Ping whatever freakin' external address you want.

 

Are you being harsh with me for some reason. There was a definite reason why I was suggesting that the OP ping the router. I want to see if there is at least connectivity to that point. If there isn't, then all else is a waste of time.

 

Also, pinging 1.1.1.1 isn't a normal troubleshooting step to check connectivity in my experience. That's why I questioned the OP's methods here.

 

Anyway, luck with this marcos9999!

 

I'm off this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There was a definite reason why I was suggesting that the OP ping the router. I want to see if there is at least connectivity to that point. If there isn't, then all else is a waste of time.
Exactly. This is why I asked earlier if the OP can log into his router's admin menu. Because at this point we don't even know if he has LAN access.

 

Also, pinging 1.1.1.1 isn't a normal troubleshooting step to check connectivity in my experience
Not sure why not. That is a valid IP address so it would be the same as pinging 172.217.5.4 (IPv4 Google), www.yahoo.com, forums.scotsnewsletter.com or any other Internet address. If you get a response, you know you are getting out of the computer through the router, through the modem and hitting the distant end. That is a normal troubleshooting step. So really any external address is valid to try.

 

However, if the ping fails you don't learn where so using tracert would be more informative. This will tell you if it fails locally or at an external hop. I recommend adding the -4 switch to make it more understandable. For example, at the command prompt, enter:

 

tracert -4 1.1.1.1

 

That said, with no answer from the OP to either question about accessing the admin menu or pinging the router (not all use 192.168.1.1 BTW) we are in a "hurry up and wait" status.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem solved. Bought a ethernet card on Amazon for 20 bucks, popped in and bang. Not only my internet speed increased but I din't see any more glitches. It coughed once but i think it was something else.

 

Thank you all

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...