Sign in to follow this  
Corrine

Flash Player EoL (End of Life)

With the numerous critical security vulnerabilities over the years, the end of Flash Player has long been awaited. The time is coming, although not until 2020.

See Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe,

The End of an Era – Next Steps for Adobe Flash - Microsoft Edge Dev BlogMicrosoft Edge Dev Blog and

Firefox Roadmap for Flash End-of-Life | Future Releases

• Like 2

Boy! What a mess this is going to cause. There are a LOT of sites on the Internet that are still using Flash. I doubt they're all going to convert this older data to HTML5 anytime soon... or ever. We'll lose a lot of content on the Internet because of this. I plan on keeping a Flash Player plugin available for my browsers for a long, long time after the end of life event finally occurs.

• Like 1

I didn't install flash in my latest OpenSUSE install and have been making out okay, but my browsing habits are probably different than yours.

• Like 2

I felt joy as I read the topic title and clicked on this thread. Then I read "not until 2020" - Nooooooooo

• Like 2

From Update on removing Flash from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer by Colleen Williams, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Edge:

In 2017, we published a roadmap to remove Adobe Flash from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer by 2020. Since that post, we announced our intent to build Microsoft Edge on the Chromium open source project. In this post, we will provide an update on what to expect for the Flash retirement in Microsoft browsers.

Here's what you can expect for each Microsoft browser:

In the next version of Microsoft Edge (built on Chromium), we will continue to retire Flash in the same timeframe as other Chromium based browsers. You can learn more of that timeline in this blog post. Flash will initially be disabled, and the user will need to re-enable Flash on a site-by-site basis; Flash will be completely removed from the browser towards the end of 2020. Group policies are available for enterprise admins and IT pros to change the Flash behavior prior to that date.

For both the in-market version of Microsoft Edge (built on EdgeHTML) and Internet Explorer 11, the current experience will continue as-is through 2019. We plan to fully remove Flash by December 2020.

• Like 1