Running Old Software

raymac46

a 16 lb sledge-o'-matic
Ah, the old "double-jack". I used to use one of those making little rocks out of boulders when I worked 2015 feet underground at the Magma Copper Company Mine in San Manual, Arizona. I was glad they soon figured out I was smarter than that hammer and the rocks I was beating on as they promoted me to "motorman" where I got to drive a train on the 80 miles of track they had on that level alone. It was still back-breaking work but better than swinging a 16lb sledge for 7 hours a day. At the time it was the world's largest underground copper mine.

As for destroying drives, if it is not easily readable and there might be sensitive data on it, we drill 3 holes through it about an inch from the center hub. Then send them off to a recycling center to keep them out of landfills.

If they have highly sensitive or classified data on them, we have access to a hard drive shredder very similar to

• Like 4

Is the gentleman using Sage Peachtree Accounting 2011? If so, there appears to be a link to a repair utility here. It starts at the US site but the direct donwload link for that software appears to be Canadian as shown below:

http://cdn.na.sage.c...air Utility.exe

It may be worth a shot after speaking with Sage support?

I use the 2014 stand alone version of Sage at my business and have no plans of updating for a few more years. I make two backups each day and I periodically make copies of the raw database and any/all associated files/folders. I know my backups work because the accountant uses it each year :) .

Edited by daveydoom
  • Like 1

Peachtree Accounting was Simply Accounting US edition and there was a separate Simply Accounting Canadian edition. Sage rebranded everything in 2012.

My neighbor has/had the 2011 SA Canadian Edition - I don't think the US and Canadian editions were compatible. Wouldn't expect them to be the same given the difference in tax and employment laws.

Hopefully my neighbor will update his software as part of getting his data working again.

• Like 1

I don't think the US and Canadian editions were compatible. Wouldn't expect them to be the same given the difference in tax and employment laws.

I would agree as that makes perfect sense. However, the repair utility may still work for either version. Sage would be the ones to ask about that before attempting to use that tool :) .

Talked to my neighbor some more. Apparently he had to get the latest version (Sage 50) of the software and then he could reload his data as before.

• Like 2