CANONICAL SHUTS DOOR ON UNITY, UBUNTU PHONE AND CONVERGENCE

mhbell

Hedon James

i3wm FTW B)

I thought you were an xmonad guy,

Things I look for in a desktop environment:

• Solid and stable. I don't want crashes thank you.
  • Familiar enough that I don't have to relearn everything about using a PC.
  • Customizable but it doesn't have to go overboard if the default is nice.
  • No arcane manual configuration with text files to put an icon on a panel.
  • Good set of support apps for terminal, file management, music etc.
  • Available for more than one distro. This always is a good sign.
  • Good community support.

Right now for me that means Cinnamon, Xfce, LXDE, and Plasma. I will consider a lighter weight Window Manager like IceWM if it comes in a distro like AntiX for really old or underpowered systems.

Looks like you have custody of our brain this week. I agree with everything you (we?) just said!

You can have our brain back today. I am listening to mindless 60s rock (Bread and Butter - The Newbeats.) So i don't need it.

No thank you. Getting ready to mow the lawn, first of the season. A mindlessly boring task that I'd prefer to be blacked-out drunk for, so I don't remember a thing when it's over...

securitybreach

Waaaay too techie for this ol' Slacker. ;)

Actually I find KDE and such to be more difficult to navigate and use. Using the keyboard is so much easier.. B)

• Like 1

Getting ready to mow the lawn, first of the season.

No chance of that here. Ground still frozen, still have some snow in spots. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Hedon James
Getting ready to mow the lawn, first of the season.

No chance of that here. Ground still frozen, still have some snow in spots. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Another illustration to support my theory that "trailing edge" is better than "leading edge"! B)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

OMG, am I the only one? Prefer the simpler, mindless Mate desktop. On Mint,

Cinnamon was a little too 'feature rich' for me and Betty, made the mouse do

weird, unexpected things...

I'm only about 12-18 hours beyond the first lawn mowing of the season...

Raymac, I would have snorted coffee all over my keyboard had I been

sipping it- at your mention of Bread and Butter by the Newbeats. Haven't

heard that one in a while. Funny, funky old rock song in a kind of scratchy

falsetto... one of those guilty pleasures one might to be reticent to admit

liking... it has a good beat... probably way more fun than You've Lost That

Loving Feeling by the Righteous Brothers...

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Re : Bread and Butter - Spotify has a number of oldies playlists and that's where I heard it. Not in my actual CD or MP3 collection. First heard it in the 60s when my uncle worked at a radio station. He brought a copy home for my cousin and my aunt loved the song.

Waaaay back when, back when my Linux adventure first started, the very first distro that I installed (at Urmas' behest) was Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake.

Wow. I would have guessed that you started with Linux way before that, man!

I was using KDE (for the most part) at first. Because that's what I used when I was playing around with KNOPPIX, and with my first installed distro, Linspire (not such a great distro, but at least it got me going with Linux).

I think I first saw GNOME with Ubuntu 5.10, but I didn't like it all that much, so I went with Kubuntu 6.06 (and Mepis, which was a KDE distro). I first saw GNOME Shell in Fedora, I think, and I liked it a lot better than the old GNOME (which is why I haven't ever installed MATE).

These days, it doesn't seem to matter so much to me anymore, I can get along fine with just about any setup. As long as it isn't crashing all the time or whatever. I always add a handful of apps that aren't native to the DE I'm using, anyway. People get all worked up about desktop environments and distros but the more time I spend with any one of them, the more comfortable I tend to become with it. I feel like if other people are using it and are happy with it, there are probably some good reasons for that, so I try to keep an open mind about that stuff.

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow. I would have guessed that you started with Linux way before that, man!

Nope. I was late coming to computers and the Internet, actually. The first modern computer that I had any access to was a 486 system running Windows 3.1 that my brother had set up in his office. That was in '93 or so. I did play around with 8080a and Z80 "computers" (if you could call them that) in tech school in the late 70s - early 80s. I also played around with Commodore Vic20 and C64 computers in the mid-80s; mostly for game playing and such.

My first actual experience with the "modern" Internet was in 2000, when I got a hand-me-down Intel Pentium I from my brother. From that time on, I was on the Internet daily. In 2006, the system I was running at that time (an AMD K7 Thunderbird w/ Win XP Pro) choked on a service pack and trashed the entire operating system. I was seriously whizzed off. Urmas and a couple other folks at my private board strongly recommended that I give Linux a try. The first ever distro download was that Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake that I mention above.

And the rest, as they say, is history...

• Like 1