You Broke It, You Fix It

ibe98765

You Broke It, You Fix It By Leander Kahney Wired02:00 AM Oct. 28, 2004 PTWith the new iMac G5, Apple Computer has outsourced its warranty repair operation -- to its customers. The iMac G5 is completely user serviceable. With its simplified, modular interior, the machine was designed to make it easy for consumers to perform their own repairs. If something goes wrong, Apple dispatches a spare part, and the owner performs the do-it-yourself repair, from swapping out a faulty hard drive to installing a new flat screen. The new iMac is perhaps the most user-serviceable machine on the market. But Apple is not alone in outsourcing repairs to customers. The entire PC industry is increasingly moving to do-it-yourself repairs. Almost a third of the repairs to Hewlett-Packard's desktop computers, for example, are performed by HP's customers. The company expects that number to climb to more than 65 percent in the next few years. Apple, HP and most of the other computer manufacturers still offer to perform warranty repairs on customers' behalf, but more and more customers are opting to repair their machines themselves -- a cultural shift highlighting the growing ease and familiarity with technology products. "We've demystified computers for a whole generation," said Jim Kemp, HP's director of Americas Consumer Support, Planning and Infrastructure. "There's savings (to HP), of course, but it's really about customer satisfaction. People love it. It's quick. It's easy. It's painless." (Suuurrrreee it is.... IBE)Both HP and Apple offer customers several choices for repair service: send in the faulty machine, take it to an authorized repair shop or fix it yourself. Full story

Martini Lover

I like the idea. My laptop,(which I use more than my desktop) developed what I considered a small problem but to fix I had to send it in. Three weeks until I got it back. Then a couple of hours re-loading programs and passwords made it tougher. If I could have just replaced a module, I would have been super happy.Each to his own.

I think this approach is the BEST way to do service on systems.With an all-in-one system (either a desktop like the iMac G5 or a laptop); I would rather have the company send me a customer - installable - part then me send in my system (taking days), having them put it into their work queue (could take days), then having them send it back to me (taking more time).It's just easier to troubleshoot the problem over the phone (if possible) then have them send me the part, I install it, make sure it fixes the issue, and I return the damaged part.... makes fixing the computer turn around time much quicker.The iMac G5's design is awesome! You can literally take the entire thing apart, and put it back together with little instruction.

I like it when a vendor sends the spare part to you on trust. For Thinkpads in warranty IBM will send laptop power supplies or other user servicable parts (keyboard, hard drive, CD) to you via overnight shipping. They include a return pre-paid shipping.You then have 30 days to return the faulty part or they will charge you for the original part.I'm sure there are other vendors with similar plans. Kudos to them all!

HP sent a memory recall on a number of notebook models this summer and as the end user all you had to do was run an app to verify if you had the faulty memory. It would then email all your address and serial number info. They shipped a replacement module with 3 booklets telling you how to open up the notebook and replace the memory, plus a prepaid return shipping package. As an incentive, they sent me a generic 32MB USB flash drive. :whistling:

Absolutely, this is a great move. Unfortunately, most laptop manufactures have only gone as far as to make exapandable and user-serviceable bays for RAM, sometimes hard drives, occasionally CPUs, rarely video cards, and scarcely anything else :whistling:

I prefer, for security reasons, to work on my own computer if possible. I don't like the idea of techs having access to my files. Sometimes if a computer dies, you also don't have the opportunity to clear caches, passwords and other items you'd prefer to keep personal.I had to take my computer to a shop recently because it was completely dead. I don't know enough to be sure that it was the power supply. When I got it back, even though they said they couldn't resurrect windows, I changed ALL my passwords just in case they managed to get a glimpse of something. I'd rather err on the side of paranoia, LOL.

Oh goody, I get to be a dissenter for once. While I do agree on this particular topic (computers), overall this push toward making the consumer do work once done by others paid to do so is adding to the loss of jobs in our country. It started with self-service gas stations, and has now expanded to grocery stores and Home Depot. Mind you, I don't mind pumping my own gas (although I used to get paid to do that when I worked at a Texaco station), nor do I mind ringing up and bagging my own groceries (although I used to get paid to do that as well when I worked for Albertson's). What I do find odd is why these companies are saving money on wages, but failing to pass those savings along to those of us who now have to do the work for free.Something's wrong with that equation. :thumbsup:

The iMac G5 is completely user serviceable. With its simplified, modular interior, the machine was designed to make it easy for consumers to perform their own repairs.
Oh goody, I get to be a dissenter for once. While I do agree on this particular topic (computers), overall this push toward making the consumer do work once done by others paid to do so is adding to the loss of jobs in our country. It started with self-service gas stations, and has now expanded to grocery stores and Home Depot. Mind you, I don't mind pumping my own gas (although I used to get paid to do that when I worked at a Texaco station), nor do I mind ringing up and bagging my own groceries (although I used to get paid to do that as well when I worked for Albertson's). What I do find odd is why these companies are saving money on wages, but failing to pass those savings along to those of us who now have to do the work for free.Something's wrong with that equation.
Hmmmmm something new ???? magnavox did that in the 1950's with their works in a drawer . but rest easy jeber it didnt put anyone out of work . before its time maybe .and by the way
Something's wrong with that equation
this part i totally agree with you . it is lining someones pockets though :lol: :thumbsup:

People - you are letting your familiarity and expertise with computers influence your judgment. Yes, "I" would rather do my own repairs. However, remember when we have those discussions about the "average user", you know, the ones still on AOL, the ones whose machines are riddled with spyware and viruses, etc. Plus don't forget those who can't even program their own VCR's. And you think these people are qualified to go messing around with the insides of a computer?????

People - you are letting your familiarity and expertise with computers influence your judgment.  Yes, "I" would rather do my own repairs.  However, remember when we have those discussions about the "average user", you know, the ones still on AOL,...
:harhar:
...the ones whose machines are riddled with spyware and viruses, etc.  Plus don't forget those who can't even program their own VCR's.
I cringe when I hear that :lol:
And you think these people are qualified to go messing around with the insides of a computer?????
Absolutely not, I should have made my point more clear that it was from my personal bias. What I would really like to see implemented by many companies is a two-tier support system. You would basically have two options: Self Guided Support (for geeky users) and Repair Depot Support (for AOL users ;) ). Self-Guided would cost less and you could have piece of mind knowing that you could open up your machine and replace the parts yourself, without having to be concerned about personal files, security, weeks of turn-around time, etc.I would like to see this implemented especially for laptops. I'm sure it's not difficult to make the parts user-serviceable, they just manufacture so that user-servicing voids and warranty, and in order to get some dough when their parts wear out. :harhar:

First Microsoft made the operating system simple enough for the average user to comprehend. Then AOL found many of those same people wanted their online experience to be just as simple, and gave us another easily understood system. So the only thing left are the 'innerds. Can modular, self-contained easy-to-remove-and-replace hardware be far behind? I can easily imagine such a case. The car industry has found it possible and profitable to sell both high-end vehicles and more modest models. One-size-fits-all will probably never apply to computers. Then someday we'll tell our grandkids about the old days when we had to remove 4 screws just to get our hard drives out of the case. :harhar:

First Microsoft made the operating system simple enough for the average user to comprehend.
Really? Then why do those guys in India never seem to understand what is wrong with your system? ;)

First Microsoft made the operating system simple enough for the average user to comprehend.
They did!! B) Dang, I missed it. When did it happen? I wanta get me a copy. ;)

Really?  Then why do those guys in India never seem to understand what is wrong with your system?  ;)
Oh, I tink dey do! Dey just do not all have dee pdoperd eenglish shkills to comooneecate eet, and eet ees vedy diffeeculdt to underdstand dem! B)