Installing Hard Drive

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

I was thinking about buying another hd to run linux on and was wondering how hard it was to install another hard drive? Do the cables i need normally come with the hd or do i have to buy those separately?TIAPS maybe then i can change my avatar to a penguin LOL

You can probably connect the harddrive to the slave on your primary IDE cable... Check your cable that your current harddrive is plugged into and see if it has a spare connector, and if it does, you can use that...If you buy a retail-boxed harddrive, they usually come with an IDE cable (I believe)...

Sonic, It is really an easy procedure. Open up the case, mount it (you more than likely have an open 3.5 inch bay, which is the standard internal hard drive bay size), plug in the ide cable and the power cable (like Ryan said, they both are more than likely already there). Format the drive, and you are done. It is really that easy.

But don't forget to set the little plastic jumpers to designate Master/Slave or there will be **** to pay! :rolleyes:

But don't forget to set the little plastic jumpers to designate Master/Slave or there will be **** to pay! :lol:
In the words of Homer Simpson...."DOH"!!!Thanks Peachy.

Sonic, just word of advice, if you really want to have full performance from your HD, then hook it up alone on one cable.In case where you have only 2 IDE chanels on your motherboard, and one is occupied with say, CD and/orDVD then jooking it up to same ribon with first HD would make sense.You can also buy ATA controller card and get yourself two additional, fast IDE channels (the best option IMHO).Also, advice if you are buying ATA HD, and you are not sure which one, I would suggest you to get Western Digital SE (Special Edition) in any 60 GB, 80 Gb, 120 Gb, ..These HD's are special since they have 8Mb cache buffer on them as opose to 2 Mb in the rest of the ATA HD's.They also carry 3 years warranty as opose to 1 year for other drives.This all comes with price difference of some 10 - 15 bucks, well worth it.If you have future in mind, want high performance and money is not an issue (hard to imagine), Serial ATA is the thing.Special HD from this bunch would be Raptor, again from WD, with 8Mb cache and first ATA drive with 10000 RPM. :lol:

scott88008

Maximum PC recommends the following configuration: Primary Master-main hard drive; Primary Slave-DVD-ROM; Secondary Master-CD-RW or recordablr DVD; Secondary Slave-second hard drive.

One last little detail. Pay attention to your cables. Look for the pin numbers and make sure you have the cables so the same end is towards the 1 pin. The standard I believe it to put the side of the cable with the red on it towards the one pin. Some won't let you do it backwards, but there are those that still do! If the cable is backwards, it will not recognize the drive.

Grasshopper
Maximum PC recommends the following configuration: Primary Master-main hard drive; Primary Slave-DVD-ROM; Secondary Master-CD-RW or recordablr DVD; Secondary Slave-second hard drive.
I may be wrong (and often am), but my understanding of a drive controller setup is that if you have an ATA 100 or 133 primary HD (primary master) hooked up on the same cable as a nonATA device -- such as a DVD or CD ROM drive -- (on primary slave) then your performance on that controller will be taken to the lowest common denominator, which would be the non ATA device.I'd like to see Max PC's reasons.Have I been completely misled? ;)

I may be wrong (and often am), but my understanding of a drive controller setup is that if you have an ATA 100 or 133 primary HD (primary master) hooked up on the same cable as a nonATA device -- such as a DVD or CD ROM drive -- (on primary slave) then your performance on that controller will be taken to the lowest common denominator, which would be the non ATA device.I'd like to see Max PC's reasons.Have I been completely misled? ;)
They must of had some special set up for doing it that way. I have never put cd-rom/dvd/rw/etc on the same IDE channel as the hard drives. None of the major PC vendors do either. It does effect the performance. I would like to see the article and read the reasons for them saying to set it up that way.

Okay folks, I feel silly today. I just slapped a new HD into my computer. I put it as slave. When I go to my device manager it shows the hard drive and the right amount of space on it. It has not assigned a letter to it. I know way back when we had to manually assign a letter to it. Am I missing something? Is it possible that I read the diagram wrong and put the jumper on the wrong way? If I did that would it still read the drive and know how much is on it?I am using XP Pro by the way.

Julia, right click on your "My Computer" and select "manage", then go to "Disk Management and you will see all disks and logcal volumes there.Pick your new disk and select Format, or if you are going to install Linux, just leave it unformatted and during the Linux installation, format it with desired FS.You can format it under Windows just to check it out before you take a plunge in Linux :o

A little late but thank you. I did that (had not added a hard drive in a couple of years) and went right off into Linux land. It is up and running as a Linux drive. Funny though, it does not show up under XP. Anyway, do appreciate the quick assist (was it only yesterday?).

Guest LilBambi

That's great Julia!BTW: Linux is aware of other OS partitions, they are smart that way.Windows only sees its own partitions.