Considering FireFox - Should I Wait?

KCDoug

I've been giving consideration to trying FireFox - even went so far as to download it today, but have not installed. Just saw the note about the fromal release scheduled in a couple of weeks. Will it be simpler for me to hold off until the that release? Is my presumtion accurate that the final release will be further debugged and I'd have to uninstall the PR release and do a fresh install of the final version. All that notwithstanding, I'm already a little confused about its potential limitations at some web sites, and whether or not I can use/re-install my google search bar, etc...Expert feedback and other opinions will be appreciated!Thanks,-Doug

Firefox has a built in google search in it already so no real need to use the google bar. I guess I don't see the need to wait, just install and reinstall when the new versions come out.Regardless your going to run into sites that are IE only. There is tricks to get around those tho, like changing your browser ID tag. Anyone that is not running XP SP 2 should be using Firefox for a more secure browser.

There's no reason not to install it now... You won't have any problem upgrading to 1.0 when it comes out.There is a googlebar extension that provides most (if not all) of the "official" google bar. You can install it (and other extensions) from http://update.mozilla.org

Guest Paracelsus

I hesitated for a long time as well, Doug.Had tried many alternatives to IE early on, and gave up on all of them... So I was skeptical about FF. But take it from a "hard to teach an old dog new tricks" kinda guy like me...Two days of using FF (this past August) and I was a complete convert!!!Sure... there's a slight learning curve... but it's far more intuitive than others I'd tried.FF is now my default browser (only us IE when It's absolutely necessary)... and the few problems (very few problems) I've encountered with a small fraction of 'sites I visit... are completely outweighed by the overall superior performance.Like they say on TV...Just Do It!!! :)

Tnanks all for your comments. I have taken 1/2 the plunge and just installed on my laptop that I use at work all day. (Will add to my home desktop after getting used to it.) Quick & smooth install, and made some cursory configurations that I was able to readily deduce from the options menu. Haven't had time to read any on-line documentation yet, but have some initial quick questions if anyone has time:1. I can move the tool bar buttons around okay, but haven't been able to move the address field - I prefer it on a seperate line (second line/toolbar) right under the standard tool bar buttons, and I like it on the left side of the screen . Anybody know how I can accomplish that?2. When viewing some photos I uploaded to my ISP-provided web site, after viewing each individual photo I keep getting the following: (Javascript application) "This application requires IE 4.0 or higher, to work correctly, a new window will open to allow you to download the latest version....)3. I get many more frequent popups about viewing secure/unsecure pages than I get with IE - I haven't found find the way to switch this off.4. Still need to read/understand the tabbed browsing stuff (configuration and use), but think I can figure it out by spending more tiime researching/reading this weekend.Thanks,-Doug

1. I can move the tool bar buttons around okay, but haven't been able to move the address field - I prefer it on a seperate line (second line/toolbar) right under the standard tool bar buttons, and I like it on the left side of the screen . Anybody know how I can accomplish that?
Create a new toolbar on top or or below the address bar and move all the buttons to that toolbar.
2. When viewing some photos I uploaded to my ISP-provided web site, after viewing each individual photo I keep getting the following: (Javascript application) "This application requires IE 4.0 or higher, to work correctly, a new window will open to allow you to download the latest version....)
Do you still use MSIE for your image viewer (JPEG, GIF, and PNG)? I suspect this might be the doing of your ISP.Try UserAgent Switch for Firefox and spoof your UserAgent to MSIE:http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/
3. I get many more frequent popups about viewing secure/unsecure pages than I get with IE - I haven't found find the way to switch this off.
There should be an option to "Accept this certificate Permanently". Choose this, and you'll never be warned for that site again.
4. Still need to read/understand the tabbed browsing stuff (configuration and use), but think I can figure it out by spending more tiime researching/reading this weekend.
It's like a subset taskbar for the individual application, which is, in this case, Firefox. It's handy for keeping your Windows taskbar uncluttered, opening pages behind the current tab, knowing when those pages are finished loading, easy site switching....all things the Windows taskbar cannot do!

If you click on "Customize" ie, right-click on an empty space in a toolbar or View>Toolbars> Customise , You can move anything anywhere in your toolbar and make new toolbars.Personally, I drag everything to a single bar, delete the Navigation and Bookmarks bars, and reduce the Menu to one item using the Compact Menu extension from texturizer.net. That leaves acres of page space!

I run a Win98SE 700mhz pc at home and I'm not happy with the RC for Firefox. It is very slow in starting up and the visual cues just don't show up. I've tried dealing with it as my primary browser for about 2 weeks but I'm going back to Mozilla 1.73 as my portal to the internet (What? you thought I was going back to IE? for Shame .

Well, I've been offline for a bit of time (3 weeks+) and now that I've reconected I figured this was a good time to upgrade from release .9 to 1.0PR. Unfortunately, I've got some serious problems now. 1) First off, my bookmarks got wiped out. Not funny. I have to go to my system backup and find the old file. But how to restore that is problem 2.2) Everytime FF starts, a message box appears that says 'Finishing extensions'. The box can't be closed and won't go away unless I use task manager to kill firefox. I think this little dialog is preventing the Bookmark manager from loading. But perhaps that last little thingy (the BookMark manager) is a problem in and of itself.3) My home page is gone.I did an install of 1.0PR on top of v .9. Was this my mistake?

I did an install of 1.0PR on top of v .9. Was this my mistake?
Probably. I uninstalled .9 before I installed 1PR and I didn't have the problems you are having. I did it on 98SE, ME and 2K.

Ah, well. Since I was offline for so long, my backup taken during that time will be of a Firefox .9 that had no changes. Since Firefox is fairly hosed anyway, I'll just copy the .9 stuff over the 1.0 stuff (it's those technical terms that separate us experts from the rest of the great unwashed).Then I'll see if I can uninstall 9, re-install 1.0 and...

Guest Paracelsus

This seems odd to me.I installed OVER .9 on two PCs and had no problem with either Favorites or Homepage.I took the chance because all I would have needed to do would be export my Favs from IE and then import to FF. (I only have a very few that I've added since switching to FF full time)Sorry your experience didn't go a smoothly as mine.

Hm. "Officially" I don't think you are supposed to install a new version over an old one (in the past, they specifically told you not to). Nowadays, they are trying to get their update mechanism working (and as far as I can tell, on Windows it works well--Linux is another story) so you won't have to uninstall/reinstall anything.If you can install 1.0PR fresh and get all of your settings back, going to the future versions should be problem free (1.0 Final should be out Nov. 9), and handled from within Firefox itself.

Guest Paracelsus
Hm. "Officially" I don't think you are supposed to install a new version over an old one (in the past, they specifically told you not to).
I remember that, Neil.But I thought that with either 0.9 or 1.0, the situation had been mostly resolved. I seem to recall reading a post about it here, somewhere... although I can't specifically point to it.Perhaps I've just been lucky? B) But I do like to live dangerously sometimes B) :hmm: , and it wouldn't have been a big deal for me since my Favs are almost identical 'tween FF and IE.

Guest Paracelsus

Yes, Indeedy!!Favorites in IE = Bookmarks in FF.If I were to loose Bookmarks in FF, all I need to do is Export my Favs from IE... and then Import them into FF (as Bookmarks, of course).Sorry for any confusion :o

I remember that, Neil.But I thought that with either 0.9 or 1.0, the situation had been mostly resolved.  I seem to recall reading a post about it here, somewhere... although I can't specifically point to it.Perhaps I've just been lucky?  :o But I do like to live dangerously sometimes  :harhar:  :harhar:  , and it wouldn't have been a big deal for me since my Favs are almost identical 'tween FF and IE.
Hm, sorry. Seems I didn't go as far as I wanted to with that post.While they "officially" still say not to overwrite an old version with a new one, I think that they are trying to support it, at least.However, I'd still recommend an empty directory to install to.Paracelsus, I'd say you've just been lucky :bounce: :w00tx100:Neil

OK, following the excellent advice here, I installed 1.0PR in its own directory (after restoring 0.9 from my backup). That did the trick. I also used V1.0 RC, figuring that I might as well go with something purporting to swat a few bugs. Anyway, so far so good.Thanks all.

Since starting this thread, thought I'd provide an update and ask a coupla questions.Preface: I've been using Firefox for just over a week on my 3 year old Win2k Dell laptop w/128 MB ram that I use for business in my office (T1 network) and home (modem). I've decided to hold off installing FF on my high end home desktop until I get it figured out. If I ultimately decide to fully migrate FF to the desktop I'll probably hold off until the final release in a few weeks.Initial FF Impression: In a nutshell - the verdict is still out. Given how busy I am, I don't have a lot of time try to figure out how to get FF up to the same level of functionality and become familiar with the differences between it and IE. I have had some frustration with the learning curve and configuration, but it's not a deal killer at this point because FF is generally intuitive to use. I'm attracted to its intrinsic higher security level vs. IE, but then again, it's not as big of a target yet - I'm sure that will change with increasing popularity and then it will be interesting to see how quickly security patches will be released and how effective they'll be. Really like the download manager. I also admire the spirit of FF's open development.Unresolved/Misunderstood Questions/Problems/Nitpicks:1. Bookmark Menu - Can't find a way to have my folders appear first /before individual links. Also cannot find a way to get folders and individual links in alpha order as I can w/IE -- even with the right click context menu. Grrrr...2. Location Bar - I know about right clicking to get access the customize option, but I can't get the location bar moved (dragging, etc.) to where I want it. I'd like to have my tool/button bar topmost, with my google bar plug in below it, then my location bar below the google bar. And I don't want the location bar to take up the whole width of the screen - I like it about half the width and then adding my link bar/buttons next to it. Sure is much easier/intuitive in IE.3. I miss some of the toolbar buttons I had in IE - such as the fullscreen toggle. Is there a way to easily add new toolbar buttons?4. Plug ins - Many of the available plug-ins I looked at have insufficient descriptions of what they do and how they work. I'm really surprised/disappointed here. Often times I have to sift through reader comments to try to understand the functionality (description and application examples would be ideal). It's also frustrating to install a plug in and not find its controls/options. Is it in a menu, is there a tool bar button, etc.? 5. Last and least for today, my dial-up ISP for the laptop at home is via AT&T that has a propriatary connection wizard that I have to use. Even though FF is my default browser, after AT&T connects, it opens IE. But I haven't studied whether or not there are any AT&T setting options for this. (I doubt it.)I used to sell sophisticated enterprise software thought I was reasonably good at figuring things out, but some of the above is a mystery to my simple mind. Enough whining for now...but I'm hangin' in there.Thanks for your help & comments!-Doug

Unresolved/Misunderstood Questions/Problems/Nitpicks:1.  Bookmark Menu - Can't find a way to have my folders appear first /before individual links.  Also cannot find a way to get folders and individual links in alpha order as I can w/IE -- even with the right click context menu.  Grrrr...2.  Location Bar - I know about right clicking to get access the customize option, but I can't get the location bar moved (dragging, etc.) to where I want it.  I'd like to have my tool/button bar topmost, with my google bar plug in below it, then my location bar below the google bar.  And I don't want the location bar to take up the whole width of the screen - I like it about half the width and then adding my link bar/buttons next to it.  Sure is much easier/intuitive in IE.3.  I miss some of the toolbar buttons I had in IE - such as the fullscreen toggle.  Is there a way to easily add new toolbar buttons?4.  Plug ins - Many of the available plug-ins I looked at have insufficient descriptions of what they do and how they work; I'm really surprised.  Often times I have to sift throught reader comments to try to get a better understanding of functionaliity (description and application examples would be ideal).  It's also frustrating to install a plug in and not find it's controls/options.  Is it in a menu, is there a tool bar button, etc.? I used to sell sophisticated enterprise software thought I was reasonably good at figuring things out, but some of the above is a mystery to my simple mind.  But I'm hangin' in there....Thanks for your help & comments!-Doug
1. Manage bookmarks under the Bookmarks Menu - manage your folders their too2. not sure,but mine are all at the top by default3. key strokes work just as easily4. plugins - should be able to go to their home page and find out all ya need or visit the netscape plug-in pages

To get the bars to move where you want themClick on View/Toolbars then Customize. You drag around with the left mouse button. You can also use this to drag buttons that you want on and off the main setup.For full screen just press F11 and then F11 will toggle it off.The very best site, IMHO, for the most and best descriptions of extensions is here:http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?act=portal&site=5this is by alphabet and there are currently 406 extensions so be prepared to spend days there looking them over!!!Write down what you are interested in before you download because sometimes you'll find 2 or 3 extensions that do the same thing and you may find one is missing a feature but another extension is perfect. I have a notecard with the extensions I download and then comments on if I like or uninstalled because I did not like. That way, I can be sure my copies of FF match on all partions and I don't have to spend a lot of brain power trying to remember what extension I love.

Appreciate help comments. I'm getting a better handle on the extensions, downloaded and installed Sun Java.Still can't get the bookmarks menu drop down to organize with folders appearing first, then listing individual links that I don't have in folders to appear below them. Anybody have any solutions to that?-Doug

I put all my individual links in a folder called Unsorted! B) I moved that to the end of the list. If I'm not sure where I want to put a link I save, I put it in there. (It's like my kitchen junk drawer. ;) )From time to time I look at that folder and move links from there into other folders.

With all the playing around I've done with FF the last 24 hours, I finally figured out how to move the folders around.1. In bookmarks, select Manage Bookmarks2. In the right hand window, and the bottom section, select the folder you want to move hold down the left mouse button and drag it where you want it to go in the list.I managed to put my folders before my loose links and I could drag them around if I wanted to alphabetize them.Go here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=102to get a re-packaged version of the sort bookmarks extension. This one is supposed to work with FF1, the older one works with .8 and .9

Ahhh - that's better, I can now find my bookmarks much quicker. Thank's, ma'am for your kind assistance. I searched externsions and never saw this one. I'm kind of surprised that organizing bookmarks wasn't part of the basic FF, but then again, I suppose what I think is basic may not be how many others view it.I don't suppose there is a way to save/store extensions for easy reloading in the even of having to unistall/reinstall FF - or upgrading my PR version to the final release?I'm slowly getting a handle on FF. and will stick with it for a while. Though will wait until final release and see how I like it before loading on my home desktop.Thanks again.-Doug

Doug... what you can do is right-click and download the extension you want, and then to install it, you can just drag it from your computer to an open firefox window. This way you can save all of them :D

Thanks Ryan....I've been doing it the real hard way. Installing on 4 partions by clicking on install so I have to do the same thing 4 times (actually 5 because one of my FF installs had to be "fixed") LOL. Eventually I'll have this figured out and they'll change the extension part again.