More From A Debian Loser

raymac46

Nice to hear other "war stories" on here. Makes me feel a little better about my own experiences....a LITTLE!

I'd have to agree with Ray's assessment of 3 types of users; and in MY experience, the "one program in the entire world that I MUST have, CANNOT live without - Win user" is the most difficult to work with. I'm somewhat sympathetic, as I can relate to that user; I still have a Win VM for the sole purpose(s) of running Quickbooks (required by my accountant) and accessing Silverlight-enabled(?!) local government websites for county/municipal data sources! However, while I do not have a choice to NOT use something different, most of those users typically have a choice to use something different, but just will not. They're fixated on iTunes (really? iTunes?!), or Quicken, or Outlook, or Office....and REFUSE to give up their comfort zone.

I've pointed out they have no risk in trying something new, for free. I've pointed out that their "tethered" software was once new, scary, and required learning. They're just ADAMANT...."I paid good money for it, and I'm going to get my money's worth." I point out that their software version is 10 iterations old and that eventually it can, and likely will, stop working and they'll have to pay to upgrade at some point....just to keep using what they've already paid for...so they'll own it twice. I point out the "freedom" in not being held hostage to that situation, in not being blackmailed for additional fees to continue using what they've already bought. They agree it sounds nice.....if they hadn't already spent the money on the "other" software.

Not everyone agrees Linux is "scary". I always offer one of my spare laptops for them to tinker with, and provide a quick lesson before asking "whaddaya think? ready to take the plunge?" Most take to it right away. A few admit they were scared of it, but once they used it, it's no big deal. And those who've switched admit it was a good decision. But those last few stalwarts want to know "where's iTunes? where's Quicken? etc..." And I'll have to say to them honestly "there is no _________ on Linux, but there are numerous alternatives available. I personally like ___________, but tell me what you like about ______________and I'll try to recommend something that does that well." They can't articulate what they like. They just want what they want, cuz they already own it and know it, and refuse to try anything else. Ironically, they'll try updated and/or changed interfaces of that software, but will require linux versions to be EXACT replicas; they'll purchase a new system with Win10 or upgrade to Win10, but will require linux to look (and behave) EXACTLY like Win7; and when Win10 looks and behaves differently than Win7, they want to "change it back". It's ironic to me that they'll refuse to accommodate that "switch over" process to the linux ecosystem; but will willingly (perhaps even eagerly) pay good money to embrace that process in the Windows ecosystem. And then want to "undo" it afterwards, except they've paid money for that and want their money's worth...

I can't help those people. I'm a big believer in the "free as in freedom" tenet of open source and linux, but I'm an even bigger believer in "the right tool for the job". Even if that includes their freedoms to choose Windows and/or proprietary software; in fact, sometimes the right tool for the job IS Windows, or proprietary software. But I am free to do the same; and just as I have no right to force linux on users, they have no right to force Windows tech support on me.

I'll do what I can, but if I can't solve the problem in a time frame that is commensurate with "free", I'm done. I'm a little jealous of Ray's position....being retired and being able to offer assistance to others without worrying about how late you'll have to work to offset the troubleshooting hours. In fact, if I was retired and had the time, I think I'd like to start a business. Perhaps it would be a non-profit (unintentionally), but it would certainly be fun. I'd like to collect (recycle) old Windows soldiers, refurbish them, put Linux on them, and offer them for sale very cheap, including training on how to use linux programs and linux in general. I believe that, if given the choice between a newer and more expensive Windows machine, and an older refurbished Linux machine that actually runs better/faster than the newer machine; that folks would choose the less expensive and faster machine. Maybe someday I'll get to test that theory... :D

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 4

I got my mother at least to change to "free" office (LibreOffice) and financial (GnuCash) software when (1) Microsoft Money was no longer available and (2) she could no longer afford to purchase MS Office. I also assured her truthfully that newer versions of Office had changed to the point where she would barely recognize them. LibreOffice was really the closest thing to the Office she was used to. I did make contributions for use of both programs though.

• Like 3

I do agree with Josh that most users today essentially run a web browser. As such they should be O/S agnostic - but they aren't. People like Lillian or my wife's friends believe that their web browser (quite often Chrome) is inextricably linked to Windows and can't run anywhere else. Maybe this is changing as they get iPads. Nevertheless they'll put up with CPU sucking security and endless updates that they don't understand for the privilege of paying for and running Windows.

@HJ I wish you luck if you can set up a refurb business. May as well charge 'em for your services since they have as much a sense of entitlement to Linux tech support even if they got the hardware and software for free.

Non profits like the preschool should be a good market. If you're careful to set up Libre Office to read/save in Microsoft Office formats they'll be fine. Chrome or Firefox will do everything else. Most non profits will have younger folks who aren't computerphobic so that helps.

• Like 2