Just brought 19" CRT

ibe98765

only $45 used! Looks clean and seems not to have been used much. Actually, only slightly bigger than my old 17". It's an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451. The extra screen space is great and now I am running 1260 X 960. Working great so far...

only $45 used!
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :whistling:
Looks clean and seems not to have been used much.  Actually, only slightly bigger than my old 17".  It's an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451.  The extra screen space is great and now I am running 1260 X 960.  Working great so far...
That's a bit of an awkward resolution, IMO.I'm looking for the right deal on an LCD. If I look very closely, I'm hoping to get one on eBay for < $300 CAD.

That's a bit of an awkward resolution, IMO.I'm looking for the right deal on an LCD.  If I look very closely, I'm hoping to get one on eBay for < $300 CAD.
I nothice that CompUSA has a 17" LCD for $300US (after $100 rebate) in their circular ad this week. The problem with a lot of the cheap LCD's is that you really need to check out all the specs to figure out where the corners were cut.Yes, would have liked an LCD also but I think the prices will be 50% by next year as a lot of manufacturing capacity is just starting to come online. Also, I read somewhere that some new technology that sprays transistiors on a plastic sheet is about ready to go into manufacturing in the next few months. That could also drastically reduce the price of LCD's (both computer monitors and TV's).What is "awkward" about the resolution choice?

This monitor supposedly has a has the following frequency ranges:Horizontal - 30-115kHzVertical - 50 - 160 HzBandwidth - 300 MHzAt 1280 X 1024, the monitor is supposed to be able to reach 107Hz. I tried running this resolution but the video card (ATI 9200SE) only goes up to 85Hz. And when I tried to use 85Hz at that resolution, I got ghosting and tracking on the screen. So I returned to 1280 X 960 at 75Hz. When I tried 85Hz at this resolution, same ghosting problem. The monitor seems to be running fine overall, so wondering if these limtitions are due to this low-end video card?

I nothice that CompUSA has a 17" LCD for $300US (after $100 rebate) in their circular ad this week.
$300 US isn't that great of a deal.($300 + ~$50 shipping) * 1.3 exchange * 1.14 taxes = $518.70About what I could get a new LCD for here anyway.
The problem with a lot of the cheap LCD's is that you really need to check out all the specs to figure out where the corners were cut.
I'm guessing viewing angle.
Yes, would have liked an LCD also but I think the prices will be 50% by next year as a lot of manufacturing capacity is just starting to come online.  Also, I read somewhere that some new technology that sprays transistiors on a plastic sheet is about ready to go into manufacturing in the next few months.  That could also drastically reduce the price of LCD's (both computer monitors and TV's).
Oooh! I can't WAIT! :)I sure hope you're right about the price drop!
What is "awkward" about the resolution choice?
It's a different proportion.640/480 = 1.33...800/600 = 1.33...1024/768 = 1.33...1152/864 = 1.33...1260/960 = 1.3125Is it a wide screen or something? Maybe "awkward" wasn't the best choice of words.

This monitor supposedly has a has the following frequency ranges:Horizontal - 30-115kHzVertical - 50 - 160 HzBandwidth - 300 MHzAt 1280 X 1024, the monitor is supposed to be able to reach 107Hz.  I tried running this resolution but the video card (ATI 9200SE) only goes up to 85Hz.  And when I tried to use 85Hz at that resolution, I got ghosting and tracking on the screen.  So I returned to 1280 X 960 at 75Hz.  When I tried 85Hz at this resolution, same ghosting problem.  The monitor seems to be running fine overall, so wondering if these limtitions are due to this low-end video card?
I've used the exact same card with no such problems at 85Hz. Although, that's at 800x600, so it may be a different story.

I'm looking for the right deal on an LCD.  If I look very closely, I'm hoping to get one on eBay for < $300 CAD.
Tigerdirect.com has a 17" LCD for $199. after rebate

I've used the exact same card with no such problems at 85Hz.  Although, that's at 800x600, so it may be a different story.
Can you try at a higher resolution and see what happens?I also have an Nvidia MX400 sititng around but I think that is an older card and it doesn't have TV capability, which I want to play with. I might try it though.

Right now, it's giving me that 60 Hz problem again :(If I can fix it, I'll try it (changing the color won't do it)
Problem solved! Your comment about my screen resolution being awkward prompted me to experiment with some other resolutions. I discovered that the max refresh rate is tied to the resolution, at least with this ATI card. At 1152 X 864, I could not go any higher than 75Hz, even though the monitor spec sheet says it can support 127Hz at this resolution. I switched to 1280 X 1024 and am able to run at 100Hz now. Spec sheet says I could go as high as 107Hz at this resolution. I think the root of the problem is this ATI video card itself. But this card is not a TRUE ATI 9200SE. It is "powered" by ATI, but the card was actually manufactured by Sapphire. Either they have coded poor microcode or can save manufacturing $$ by making the card code less complicated/functional. Lesson for me is that I won't be buying any "powered" by cards in the future...

Another possibility I came across in doing some reading was that the fact the card has only 64MB of memory might also contribute to problems at high resolutions.

Hard to believe that. :w00t: I'm going to look into 128MB board now.Does anyone know of a chart that compares various ATI to Nvida boards side by side in chronilogical order as of date of release? There are so many models that it is difficult to compare them all.

Another possibility I came across in doing some reading was that the fact the card has only 64MB of memory might also contribute to problems at high resolutions.
From what I've read, 8MB of video ram should easily get you up to 1600x1200Personally, I have and old 3dfx card with 16mb that has no problem delivering 1024X768Unless you're a gamer, personally I think 64mb is more than sufficient. I game and my old 64mb nvidia geforce still holds up well with most games.

Problem solved!  Your comment about my screen resolution being awkward prompted me to experiment with some other resolutions.  I discovered that the max refresh rate is tied to the resolution, at least with this ATI card.  At 1152 X 864, I could not go any higher than 75Hz, even though the monitor spec sheet says it can support 127Hz at this resolution.  I switched to 1280 X 1024 and am able to run at 100Hz now.  Spec sheet says I could go as high as 107Hz at this resolution.
Huh! I fiddled around with some settings for a bit, and I'm suddenly running at 100 Hz! :w00t: If I had a 19-incher, I would probably run UXGA if I could get it at 85 Hz.
I think the root of the problem is this ATI video card itself.  But this card is not a TRUE ATI 9200SE.  It is "powered" by ATI, but the card was actually manufactured by Sapphire.  Either they have coded poor microcode or can save manufacturing $$ by making the card code less complicated/functional.  Lesson for me is that I won't be buying any "powered" by cards in the future...
I completely agree! I've got the same situation here - my radeon card is a Ge-X-Cube 9200SE - no wonder I got it for only $80 bucks CAD. That's the last time I buy a cheap knock-off of the real mfr.'s line <_<Oh, and "SE" stands for "Slow Edition" :D