A couple of quick Linux tricks

teacher

If you are in a real hurry to do an email, try pressing the Alt key and the F2 key. This gives you a run command box where you can type in mailto:linuxnut@someisp.com. This will then open Kmail if that is your default in KDE or in my case Evolution! You can also type in an Internet address and it will open your default browser.

Another quick one:Can't figure out why your drive won't umount? Here's an easy way to find out what is typing up the drive so you can kill the app (it shows the ID number)

# lsof +D /mnt/hda10

I learned another quick one tonight. I went in to update my urpmi in Cooker. It froze up after the line "write config file {/etc/urppmi/urpmi.cfg). It would not cancel so I logged out as user and logged back in.Then I got a urpmi locked when I tried again.Found this:

rm -f /var/lib/urpmi/.LOCKrm -f /var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK

Now I have the command back. So now I just nee dto figure out why it is freezing on write config.file (/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg).

Another quick one:Can't figure out why your drive won't umount?  Here's an easy way to find out what is typing up the drive so you can kill the app (it shows the ID number)
# lsof +D /mnt/hda10

I didn't know about lsof. Thanks ;)

Thanks. The more I study Linux the more I find out that I don't really know much. :hmm: So many neat tricks out there. Don't know where we would be without Bruno's tips. ;)