Help needed from IE users.....

ross549

Does the main text on this page render with a sans-serif font?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am having a problem with one of my websites....... and I do not have IE on my linux box! :PBasically, a user is complaining that the font in the main text area of this page is showing as Times New Roman. Naturally, that is not the correct font, as the CSS is set to use:

font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
For all things involving text. Now I suspect that something is wrong with this user's setup, but I cannot reproduce the problem, because I don't have IE here. Note: The page in question is religious in nature. You may not agree with it, but I am only using it as an example to help me troubleshoot this user's problem. My intention is not to change your beleif system, only to fix this user! :o

Guest Paracelsus

It's not Times New Roman for me.There is a Fonts setting on the General Tab in IE Properties that allows one to select a Display Font. But the chosen font should only appear on pages which do NOT have a font specified in their coding.

nlinecomputers

Have you check the clients computer to see if he has set any of the Accessibility options. You can force IE to ignorre fonts and use your own. I suspect he has done just that.

i get arial alsohave him check under file/tools/internet options/fonts/ to see what he has it set tohe should choose latin based in the top window the second only applies if there is no font specified on the web page .

Ok, this is starting to get to me......I was talking with a friend who has IE, and this is what we are coming up with:I am going by this page, and her settings have Arial in the left hand box set to Courier New. She has no option to set it to Arial or verdana. Any ideas? I may have to move this top Programming and Web Development, and see what they come up with there. :o

nlinecomputers

You are looking in the wrong spot. Those setting are only for webpages that DON'T have any fonts setup in the HTML code. IE explorer has an accessibilities page for people that can't see very well.In Internet Explorer goto TOOLS/Internet Options. Then hit the general tab and look for the accessibility button in the lower right corner. The box that pops up should have NOTHING checked.image-ie6-options-accessibility.png

You are looking in the wrong spot. Those setting are only for webpages that DON'T have any fonts setup in the HTML code. IE explorer has an accessibilities page for people that can't see very well.
Thanks nlinecomputers i forgot about the accessabilities page :teehee:

nlinecomputers

Ok Ross does he not HAVE that font? Or does he have a lot of third party fonts on his system? Is he certian that he isn't having font issues in other programs?

I am going by this page, and her settings have Arial in the left hand box set to Courier New. She has no option to set it to Arial or verdana. Any ideas? I may have to move this top Programming and Web Development, and see what they come up with there. 
That is strang Adam unless she is running an older version of IE . as i said i am running IE6 and i have all my installed fonts listed in the left hand box . the text fonts on the other hand are limited . but as inlinecomputers pointed out these choices are only activated when there is no font specified in the web page . they are simply default fonts .

Well I don't know the difference between the fonts, so long as a page is readable I usually don't care.But the link you gave looks completely different in Netscape than in IE. I think differences in fonts is the least of the problems for that page.

that site is extremely offensive to me
:w00t: Well then don't click on it. :wacko: :teehee: ;)

nlinecomputers
But the link you gave looks completely different in Netscape than in IE.
How so? I'm using Firefox and it looks identical to me. The website engine is run by phpwebsite so it should render identically.

But  the link you gave looks completely different in Netscape than in IE.  I think differences in fonts is the least of the problems for that page.
Could you elaborate a bit more? What ver of Netscape and IE? What are the differences?

How so?  I'm using Firefox and it looks identical to me.  The website engine is run by phpwebsite so it should render identically.
Correct. My personal webpage has no issues in either IE or Mozilla, and it is running PHPws as well.

i am in IE right now but i usually am in firefox since drake is my default os and i have been on your webpage with both as well adam and i see no difference with either browser .

Could you elaborate a bit more? What ver of Netscape and IE? What are the differences?
I wish I could. Today when I tried to do screen prints for you, they are the same. :) :w00t: ;) I have NO idea how or why or what or a few other questions but yesterday when I clicked on the link, using Netscape 7.2, then clicked on View>IEview the page that came up in IE 6.0.2x was different. It had the same background and heading but it seems like it only consisted of 3 or 4 short boxes of text down the middle whereas the Netscape page had a long column of text in the middle. It was a very different layout. I don't know how or why but at this point I can not replicate the situation. Sorry to cause everyone so much concern but I wasn't dreaming. (leastwise I don't think I was. :P )

nlinecomputers

That font is called Arial and is a sans-serif font. That means that letters are plain and don't have the adornments that a serif font has.Example of sans-serif ArialAa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff HhExample of a serif font Times New RomanAa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff HhExample of sans-serif font ImpactAa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Hh