Miracle of Miracles!!!

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

... the Day...When Our LAME IS dept. would upgrade our PCs!!!Haven't seen the system specs yet... But they will be going to XPPro and Office03.Now all I need to do find a way to sneak over all the "Unapproved" software apps and tools installed on this one :o :D

sounds great paracelsus :o :whistling: just make sure you get sfnl in the new one :rolleyes: i promise not to tell on you :devil: p.s. sorry to copy your title for my post but believe it or not thats exactly what i was going to use :D

Guest Paracelsus
p.s. sorry to copy your title for my post but believe it or not thats exactly what i was going to use
Well... I was going to send you a Flaming PM about trying to steal my Thunder :PBut I decided to chalk it up to... "Great Minds Think Alike" :thumbsup:
Celebrate! Glad to hear you got an upgrade.
I'm afraid to say that I must retract my initial enthusiasm. A little birdie just roused me from my Idyll :'(If IS knows how to implement Admin privileges....I won't be able to install ANYTHING on my own. :medic: :thumbsdown: :rant: :'(Ah!, Well... It was a nice ride.

Well... I was going to send your a Flaming PM about trying to steal my Thunder tongue.gifBut I decided to chalk it up to... "Great Minds Think Alike" thumbsup.gif
:medic: :thumbsdown: :rant: :thumbsup:

Now all I need to do find a way to sneak over all the "Unapproved" software apps and tools installed on this one
Pssssttttt...two words....."usb drives"..... :thumbsdown:

Guest Paracelsus
Pssssttttt...two words....."usb drives"..... :thumbsdown:
Hee-Hee, Jebs...I just may have to do that. Or dig out my ol' PP Zipdrive and give it one last fling before consigning it to my collection of future technology antiques :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paracelsus
:clap: :yes: It's Happening!!! It's Happening!!! :clap2: :bounce: The actual PC hasn't arrived yet so I still don't know what the Specs are... But we're getting Dells. Just got done hooking up the new Monitor to the old PC. A 19" Flat Panel!! :hmm: I'm in LOVE! Finally...I can rise above 1024x768!!! :thumbsup:But the best part is...It's an outside contractor setting up the units. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Admin Privileges won't be set to disable software installations by users

:bounce: Yeah for Paracelsus.If you treat the guys right when they install the pc, offer them a soda or coffee and an donut, they might tell you the Admin password if there is one. :clap2: :hmm: You should also ask if you are to/can call them if there is a problem with Windows.

But the best part is...It's an outside contractor setting up the units.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Admin Privileges won't be set to disable software installations by users
My suggestion is that you install what you want quickly. Otherwise, they are likely to come in and lock it down and then you won't be able to install. Here, they used an image of one of my computers to install the software and missed a few jewels. :bounce: Things like Firefox! It sure makes it easier to have it as IE never works with our Novell. :hmm:

Guest Paracelsus

Good Point, Julia.I've had conflicting reports as to whether the ability for users to install apps will be disabled or not. But at least they are going to image our drives onto the new system.The specs I've heard are:2.1GHz Pentium IV512 RAM (I hope the MoBo can take more. I have a Mothballed Dell here I can Cannibalize)40GB HD (I've only used 6 of the 20 I have now)CD/DVD BurnerHaven't heard what the Audio/Video hardware is yet.

"...there are certain, er, utilities" whispered temmu."go on" croaked the client.
:lol: I like the way you think, Temmu!!!(LabRat says... "We'll be in touch with you later this week".) :D :hmm:

Guest Paracelsus

Sorry Temmu...It looks like I may not need your services after all. The contractor finished the PC setup and moving all my files and programs, just before lunch. Everything in my Download and Install directories is still there.Just finished installing FireFox; WinRAR; SpyBot and Reg Mechanic.While I was at it...I gave my user account Full Permissions, and disabled Remote Assistance. IS will have to break into my Lab office if they want to reset anything now :o I also set an Admin and user Password for "Setup" :thumbsup:Pretty nice system:40GB HD2.7GHz P4512RAM8MB Video MemoryOptical MouseCD/DVD burner2 Front Access USB2 portsI can live with this for a while :ermm:

Yes, that is very cool...... we cannot even change the clock at work..... :wacko:
sure you canjust get in and change the admin account password - then make yourself an admin and add an extra user with admin - and next time they need to get into your pc, they'll have to reset the password and they might miss the fact you changed a few things :teehee:

Guest Paracelsus
...8MB Video Memory...lmaoso much for playing Doom3 at work!
I Know... I Know.... :wacko: But you don't know the company I work for -ct-This is just an office PC. (I have some much better systems on the Instruments in my Lab. But they're dedicated PC's and not on the Network)This probably seems like a tinker-toy system to many folks... But it's orders of magnitude better than what we had. :teehee:

This probably seems like a tinker-toy system to many folks... But it's orders of magnitude better than what we had.
well i for one would be happy with that "tinker-toy " system it sure beats my 500mhz antique . so anyhowCongratulations paracelsus "I sure wish you luck with it :teehee: :wacko: :w00t: ;) :D :)

Hey it's way better than my office machine at work. All I got's a lousy Pentium 4 1.8GHz with 256MB of RAM, 30GB hard drive and onboard Intel Expletive Graphics controller. Note, the hard drive was replaced in July after only 15 months of daily use. And of course because ITS gave me a limited user account for installing software in the labs I managed to login to mine and, oh, slip the Authenticated Users Group into the Administrators Group.... :teehee: I have to be a little careful though, because back in March I was visiting a Russian site looking for Windows rootkits (it was for research purposes, honest!) and infected my computer from one of the zip files I downloaded. Since ITS monitors virus infections across the network they knew I got zapped. The remark the ITS manager (and my old boss, by the way) said to me was, "Be careful what you download... " They also noticed my little trick and locked me out of the Administrators Group. But, when they replaced my hard drive and re-ghosted it I had a window of 3 minutes to make right with the world. :wacko: