Distros? Meh... Let's talk DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS (DE)!

Hedon James

Hedon James

that's awesome Dr. J! A great comparison of DE running on the same hardware, with the same specs, etc...

Can I persuade you to do the same thing with the System Monitor app? What you say about being surprisingly heavy may be true (I'll take your word for it!), but your readings aren't really a fair comparison to the other DEs on the other distros, as they all included a GUI tool for the reading.

I have a similar dataset for the 'buntu family, and now you have provided an excellent reference for Arch (it doesn't get much better than different DE running on the same underlying distro on the same machine!) But I'd really like to keep the comparison as similar as possible across the board of distro comparisons. Would you mind providing RAM readings with the system monitor tool running? It would be MUCH appreciated!

I'll do it as soon as soon as I get around to it, but unfortunately I've reverted back to Fluxbox only on my Arch VM. I'll do the whole thing again as soon as I have time (experimentation is, after all, the reason I'm holding on to Arch Linux). In the mean time, here's a screenshot of the system monitor (form Debian), showing itself using about 11 and a half MB. While that's not much as far as usage on a Gnome based desktop (especially not mine at the minute - I also have Chromium, VLC, Okular, Kmplot and Libreoffice running currently), but it's a big chunk of idle Fluxbox usage:

Sb5XlvBA.png

Having said that, conky is generally what is used on light systems (Antix, Crunchbang, Archbang), and that's giving me a reading of 47.1MB in Fluxbox.

Mate system monitor only uses around 6MB (I've just switched desktops again). The DE itself uses 204MB on my Debian setup.

Right now I have Cinnamon, Xfce, LXQt, and IceWM running on various and sundry desktops and netbooks. I've also got Gnome Shell and Unity running in VirtualBox. If I've got the horses, Cinnamon is my DE of choice. Xfce is the best all round DE for lighter use. And IceWM is great on a real clunker.

Edited by raymac46

Hedon James

Thank you Dr. J! Spreadsheet updated in initial post! Arch is providing a pretty good reference point for all DE, except Window Maker and Unity. I'm not sure if Unity is in Arch repos, and even if it is, I can't imagine any Arch users wanting to give it a whirl. We've already established it's one of the heavyweights, if not THE most heavyweight, so no big deal there. But Window Maker would be interesting. Any Arch users on here with Window Maker DE to give us a reading?

• Like 1

Unity isn't officially supported on Arch, but it has been ported over on an unofficial repo by Unity fans (Which do exist - I know one or two myself). Here's youtuber AJ Reissig doing a bit of an overveiw...

It's not easy to tell how much stuff is running in the background, but he does have his system monitor open (CPU seems to be taking a kicking)

abarbarian

But Window Maker would be interesting. Any Arch users on here with Window Maker DE to give us a reading?

Would love to give you figures on my favourite Window Maker but I seem to be going backwards with my pc skill set. I ainn't even got a Arch running at the moment.

Fascinating thread though, most interesting. :'(

• Like 1