xmms

rolanaj

I have a few songs saved to my hard drive and when I try to play them in xmms it looks like they are playing but no sound at all. They play fine in totem so I don't understand the problem.On a side not is there any way to enqueue songs with xmms, that is one of the features I always liked about winamp.

Xmms is clone of Winamp, therefore you will like almost identical look and behaviour.For queing up songs you can use Playlist.Right click on Xmms anywhere and choose "Playlist" or hit the small button "PL" right beside "EQ" which stands for equlizer.You can drop song or entire folder with songs to Playlist.For sound you might have to disable mp3 placeholder plugin and if that doesn't work than try changing output plugin to arts or Alsa.You sill find this in preferences, right click on Xmms and choose preferences.One of the tabs will be "Output" .I hope this helps :P

Thanks for the response zox

For sound you might have to disable mp3 placeholder plugin
I was unable to find this plugin at all.
and if that doesn't work than try changing output plugin to arts or Alsa.
There were two options for output Alsa and Oss driver, neither one of which seems to work. Sould I try to install Arts? When I click on a song Totem automatically opens is it possible that this interferes with xmms?

Totem and XMMS should not interfer with each other. I easily use both. I prefer Totem for most things but can do both without problem.

I have tinkered around with the setting but nothing has changed, still no sound in xmms. I reinstalled Mandrake 10 the other day, I did the full install instead of the upgrade. I now have a hardware modem, talk about a big difference. However I haven't got all the updates and bug fixes, maybe I should do that first and if it still doesn't work I could uninstall it and reinstall it.So I have a couple more questions related to sound, is there any way to play a midi file in Linux? Also is there any place that lists what program an extension belongs to. I have been sent files with an .au(?) extension and had no idea what they opened with.

RolanaI would definitely do the bug fixes and updates before doing anything else. Midi files can be played in Linux. There are some files specifically for midi you can install, even tied in with xmms. You can always click on the files and see what wants to open it.

Teacher,When I click on a midi file I get the dialog box asking me what I would like to open it with so I am assuming that maybe there isn't anything installed by default. I'll get the updates first and see how everything works from there :wacko:

There is not a down arrow on that dialog box? I usually have choices. If not, then go to your add software and then do a search for midi. I bet you will find the extensions you need on the disks you already have. ;)

A few files from the disks to choose from:kdemultimedia-kmidiplaymidiplaymidi-X11timidity=instrumentsAs you can see there are quite a few to choose from. Search for "midi" and you should have more than you can use.

Hi RolanaFrom what I understand you have the midi problem solved but still have a XMMS problem . . . . . I take it that we are talking Drake 10 here ?If so the mp3 placeholder plugin is nothing to worry about, default should be okay there . . . but you only should use the ALSA output plugin !!Next to that you need "aumix" to be installed.If after that you still have no sound and crashes/freezes: Unistall "xmms" "libxmms1" and "xmms-alsa" and just re-install them again. Maybe it just was not happy after the first install ;):happyroll: Bruno

Ok now that is seriously weird I just went in and changed back to the alsa plugin ( I am sure I had tried this before) this time it worked perfect. Sounds good too. :'(

So now xmms is working and the midi file is playing but kscd wont play a cd, totem will play the same cd though. I am still working on updating Mandrake 10 though so maybe this is a bug or something.