Virus attempts

Jeber

Why do those who are trying to spread viruses and trojans even bother if this is the best they can do?...

FROM:    administration@jeber.net | Save AddressDATE:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:51:33 -0700TO:  <**********@jeber.net>SUBJECT:  Notify about using the e-mail account.Dear user, the  management of Jeber.net mailing system  wants  to let you know that,Some of our clients  complained about the spam (negative e-mail  content)outgoing from your e-mail  account. Probably, you have  been infected bya proxy-relay trojan server. In order  to keep your computer safe,follow the  instructions.For details see the attached file.Have a good day, The Jeber.net team                        Document.pif (Binary attachment)
FROM:    administration@jeber.net | Save AddressDATE:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:41:55 -0700TO:  <**************@jeber.net>SUBJECT:  Warning about your e-mail account.Dear user of  Jeber.net  gateway e-mail  server,We  warn you  about some attacks on your e-mail account.  Your computer maycontain viruses, in order to keep your computer and e-mail account  safe,please, follow the  instructions.For  more information  see  the  attached file.Sincerely,    The Jeber.net team                              TextDocument.pif (Binary attachment)
Besides the poor spelling and syntax errors, the idiots sent this to the administrator of jeber.net, me. I'm the "Jeber.net team". Duh...let's not make this too obvious, shall we. And then, let's append a binary attachment that only the totally clueless would open. To top it off, they reference an account that only receives business mail. I have never sent any mail out to anyone using that account. Wow, it makes it really hard to fear people who act so stupidly. Now excuse me...I have to write a couple checks for a business venture in Africa I can't really discuss, or I won't collect my 25%. :thumbsup:

Guest Paracelsus
:huh: :P :happyrollsick:We get these where I work, all the time. Unfortunately....Some folks fell for it. Not only did some employees fail to realize that our IS team (all three of them) only send out notices as either "helpdesk" or their own names... But also that an internal e-mail will not have an "@" addy appended.Not to mention that some didn't understand that you should never execute a PIF :)

some didn't understand that you should never execute a PIF
And were those "some"s not running antivirus sw on their machines. :P And your internal servers let viruses pass thru? :huh: Good grief!

Guest Paracelsus
And were those "some"s not running antivirus sw on their machines.  :)  And your internal servers let viruses pass thru?  :P Good grief!
You don't know Poco Graphite, Inc., Ed ;)The place is so backward, it like something out the sixties at times.Protection of any kind was almost non-existent until the past two years...Other than what employees, like me, did for themselves. :huh: