Personal Website Setup

jodef

Why hasn't anyone mentioned hosting your page yourself?  So long as you're just experimenting and not hosting something that can't afford to be "down," then that's the way to really learn.  Or so it would seem to me.  Though you do need an ISP that doesn't "block" ports.
And hope you don't get your boxen hacked! B)

nlinecomputers

Amen on that. I had my website hacked a couple of weeks back. As it was on a professional host the damage was limited to my site. I was expecting the hack as I was running outdated and not well designed software (PHPnuke) Keeping hackers out of both your system AND your site is a lot of work. Let the pros host your site and you can keep the crackers out of your system.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned hosting your page yourself?  So long as you're just experimenting and not hosting something that can't afford to be "down," then that's the way to really learn.  Or so it would seem to me.  Though you do need an ISP that doesn't "block" ports.
A good deal of ISP's, even the ones that don't block ports, have strict policies against running a server.

And hope you don't get your boxen hacked! :rolleyes:
The only thing on the "box" is my email server and the web page. But I would rather be in charge of "security" for my page than trust someone else. I've got several "spare" boxes around that I don't care about risking.

A good deal of ISP's, even the ones that don't block ports, have strict policies against running a server.
You may be right but I've not experienced that problem in my area. Cox cable, my "at home" provider does block port 25. Both incoming and outgoing. You can pay extra for a commercial account to avoid this. Fortunatly for me, my "at work" connection is via a T1 line with several "spare" ip addresses.