Ad-Aware and LSP

Ozidave

I borrowed this from another Forum in which I was actively involved in resolving a very bad attack of 'Virtumundo' on four computers and the use of Ad-Aware to remove it amongs't other problems. These comments are NOT mine and I am using them ONLY because I was involved with it, and the authors will remain anonymous. :lol:

I'll go ahead and try to make the selected changes with adaware and so forth, but all the problems have been cleaned up, and my boss says that he had to reformat his laptop's drive - something about his internet connection refusing to connect after getting rid of the spyware, don't ask, I thought it was a little drastic
That is because a LSP (Layered Service Provider) was deleted without removing the entry that tells windows to use it. (spyware uses LSPs to intercept data from web page loads and add advertisements, etc...) It breaks the chain and windows no longer understand how to access the internet (there is a step missing). It was most likely removed improperly because adaware wasn't set to custom mode (an absolute must when removing LSPs) must and updated (another absolute must).------------------------------------------------------------It appears that Ad-Aware does not handle the LSP in Smart-System-Scan very well, I can't find any other reference to this? Do our Highlanders' know anything about it? :lol: The Ad-Aware mentioned here was well out of date, so was this something in the older versions?. :( Ozi.

nlinecomputers

What happened is that the winsock was damaged. It can be repaired.You can find this program LSPfix.zip at cexx.org that can fix many such issues.At the bottom of the page are links to other programs that do similar work. Sometimes they do it better.Google searches on Manually repairing winsock will get you instructions on how to fix by hand if you need to do that.

What happened is that the winsock was damaged.  It can be repaired.
Hi Nline,Sorry, I should have made the question: Does Ad-Aware actually remove the LSP without repairing or re-numbering the remainder :D I have never heard of this, and was hoping someone has either experienced it, or has any further info to qualify the statement that was made.......? o:) Ozi.

nlinecomputers

It will remove the spyware New.net is the most common offender and sometimes it fixes it but most of the time it breaks the winsock. So you run ad-ware to remove the parasite and then call up LSPfix to repair the now missing winsock.A wipe and reinstall is usually not required.

Hi Nline,Thank's for that info, it has left no doubt as to the fault and the remedy. :whistling: Thank's also for mentioning New.net, that just stirred the grey-matter and the need to make another thread. :thumbsdown: Ozi.