Hardware and software firewalls together?

erw

I'm running WinXP Home with all updates, a cable modem connection and ZoneAlarm Free. I'm considering buying a router so as to have a hardware firewall as well as a software firewall, even though I have only one computer. The router I have in mind is a D-Link DI-604, which is a wired router.Is it possible to have a hardware firewall and a software firewall on the same system? Is it advisable? My impression is that they won't conflict with each other, but I'd like to make sure before I buy the router.

redmaledeer

If you have an old computer around that you're not using:"Smoothwall.org and IPCop.org (Linux) -- Smoothwall and IPCop cost nothing, and turn an old PC into a firewall/router/DHCP server. How's that for saving moolah?"

Yes, yes, I do.The router's firewall blocks incoming attacks, ZA blocks outgoing. :huh:
Correction, ZA blocks income and outgoing, but the router also adds NAT. Multple Layers of security are always good.

Guest Paracelsus

GO FOR IT!!!, erw...I have XPHome with a DSL modem and ZAP. Just added a wired router last weekend, at the advice of several friends (thanks, NRD). :thumbsup: It was much easier to set up than I had expected.Just read and follow the instructions carefully and you shouldn't have any trouble. :huh:

There are many categories of “Junk†and so far No One hardware or software product that take care of all of them. So you have Not other choice but to “Combine Forcesâ€.Link to: Basic Protection for Broadband Internet Installation.As well as Free:Spyware, Adware, Clean and Protect.Link to: Ad-aware 6.181.Anti-Virus.Link to: AntiVir Personal Edition 6.22.09.09Trojan ScannerLink to: a² free Link: Set NetBEUI as the Default Sharing Protocol in WinXP. :huh:

Correction, ZA blocks income
Not when the router is doing it, there's nothing for ZA to block. Which was the situation I was describing rather than the overall capabilities of the sw.

Thanks, all, it seems to be unanimous that I got it right. The router is $25.14 after rebate, including free shipping, from Amazon.com, so it's definitely affordable. I gave away my old PC, no room for it. My cable modem is a D-Link DCM-200, and I've been very happy with it, so I figured a D-Link router would be a good choice.Side note to the moderator: email notification of replies must not be working, I didn't get a thing; I decided to check back anyway.

email notification of replies must not be working, I didn't get a thing;
In My Controls>Email Notifications, you must click on "Enable notification by default" for this feature to work.

If you have an old computer around that you're not using:"Smoothwall.org and IPCop.org (Linux) -- Smoothwall and IPCop cost nothing, and turn an old PC into a firewall/router/DHCP server. How's that for saving moolah?"
That "old computer" will cost far more in electrical bills than a $20 router.

redmaledeer

lewmur - You're right that electricity costs should be figured in.Another factor is the capabilities of Smoothwall/IPCop versus the $20 router. Looking at their websites didn't enlighten me much on that score.