Lampyridae

Guest Paracelsus

What Do You Call Them in Your Area???  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Paracelsus

With mid-Summer upon us...My mind wanders back to those Halcyon days of yore... Days of care free life as a child in a very small town in western Pennsylvania. A favorite pass time for us was catching Lightning Bugs in a jar. (We did a few other things with them as well... But that's best left to the imagination :whistling: ). Anyway...In that area, and in south Jersey where we later lived, we always called them Lightning Bugs. I know many people refer to them as Fire Flys...So I am kind of curious if this is a regional thing.It would be interesting if those who vote, would post what region of North America they reside in.We don't have any in north Texas :P ... And southern California, where I previously lived, is also bereft of these fascinating Coleopterans .

We used to see them occasionally in Wisconsin. I have seen them in the Norfolk area as well. They are FIRE FLIES!!!

I can't think back that far. I think thety were lightening bugs in Missouri. Can't say that I have seen any at the beach. It hurts the brain to think back that many decades. :PJulia :)

I voted lightning bugs. And I think we did the same things, besides putting them in jars, that Paracelsus and his cohorts did.There were also "Dining" needles, which is probably a name my own invention. I more than likely mis-heard "Darning" needles. Anyway, those were what we called dragonflies on Long Island when I was growing up.

Guest Paracelsus
I more than likely mis-heard "Darning" needles. Anyway, those were what we called dragonflies on Long Island when I was growing up.
Yep! I know that one as well.Got my BS from Southampton :) Almost majored in Entomology.

Lightning Bugs Northern panhandle, West Virginia.Lived in Wyoming for 5 years - no lightning bugs. It seems that the winters are too harsh in Wyoming. I think that lightning bugs survive through the winter underground. We love watching them when they come out in the summer! :)

Guest Paracelsus
They're all over up here in Nebraska...I prefer to call them Fire bugs :D
Or..."Lightning Flys"???I foresee you have a great future as a Diplomat :D :P :)

They are FIRE FLIES!!!
I don't know cobber, but in Australia we call them fireflies in the plural sense and firefly in the singular sense. :) And sometimes we don't call them anything at all, especially when you can't see any. ;) But we have to make small allowances for foreign languages and idioms I suppose? :PROLF! B) Ozi.

They're lightning bugs, and I'm really glad to see them back again here in northeastern NJ. I remember them from summer nights when I was a child. I didn't see any for years--I think they were victims of pesticide use--but I've noticed them again in the last few years.

Wellll..... I have been all up an down this state (CA) as a child and as a trucker and I have not seen them anywhere so as was said earlier, can't call 'em if I can't see them .... ;) B)

Guest Paracelsus
I don't know cobber, but in Australia we call them fireflies in the plural sense and firefly in the singular sense.
I prefer the "Elizabethan" spelling... Flys ;)(y's are much B) er than i's)

Well growing up in Eastern Tennessee we called them "Lighting Bugs"..same with here Virginia ...But was stationed in Boston for while and they called them FireFlies..(At least that's what I think they were saying... ;) ..one of those "Strange Southern Boy in a Strange Nothern Town" sorta thing..

We call them "lightning bugs" in the Ohio Valley...I believe the pre-emergent, underground larvae, are what we know as "glow worms"... ;)

I prefer the "Elizabethan" spelling... Flys ;)(y's are much  B) er than i's)
Paracelsus....I am concerned that using "Elizabethan" spelling might be a bit too refined for the Water Cooler. Edited by ross549

We call dem dare tings litenin bugs in my neck of the woods......Indiana. I use to catch them by the dozens and then let them out in my room after bed time. Then when I would get real sleepy I would open the window and screen so they could get out.....in my mind back then I had to make sure they got out so I could catch them again in a couple of days and do it again.

Paracelsus....I am concerned that using "Elizabethan" spelling might be a bit too refined for the Water Cooler.
Foresooth Varlet! is there no liberty to spake as thee wishes? B) Shakeyourspeare. :) ROLF! :lol: PS: Why do fireflies have their 'headlights' on their bum, do they fly backwards so that they can see where they're going; or is it they just like to see where they've been? :thumbsup: Ozi.

Guest Paracelsus
PS: Why do fireflies have their 'headlights' on their bum, do they fly backwards so that they can see where they're going; or is it they just like to see where they've been? :whistling:Ozi.
Don't most creatures like to advertise their "Naughty Bits"?? :thumbsup: B)

Don't most creatures like to advertise their "Naughty Bits"?? :whistling:  :lol:
Hello Paracelsus,So! in fact they are not fireflies at all, they are 'Flashers' :'( aka Flasher-Flies.That explains why you don't see them in the daytime.....the deviates are all wearing their overcoats. :P Ozi.

(y's are much  :P er than i's)
I think you may be right, though I hate to admit it. :whistling: Ol' McDonald had a farm........E, Y, E, Y, O! :'( NOPE! I've changed my mind again! they did zilch to help that little ditty :lol: Ozi.