Flood, flood, flood

Peachy

You will need Real Player installed on your system.
You must have a ton of adware/spyware on your system ! :( I wouldn't touch that player with a 10 foot pole...But to each his/her own I guess... -_-Sorry to hear about your flood. I hope you have a good insurance agent.

You will need Real Player installed on your system.
And apparently the newest version. I have an older version that wasn't burdened with the crap Guitar Man references and it won't play the files. I thought Windows Media Player would play them but it didn't either.The story and still pics can be seen here.Sorry to hear of your predicament Peachy. Hopefully everything drys out ok.

Cluttermagnet
Try JetAudio.  It can play Real files.
Wow- Sorry about your troubles, Peachy! What a mess. We had some flooding in areas fairly close by to us here on the US east coast. My local area dodged the bullet on this one, but it was really bad in various places here.I'm with epp_b on Jet Audio. I tried that player after hearing a lot positive about it in these forums. I have to say I like it so far, and I have seen no evidence of any spyware like I would get if I installed RealAudio (I would not!) I tried both streams Peachy posted and both 'worked' for me. I can only get 28.8K on my dialup and these streams were supposedly 43K, but both played with only a few brief buffer underruns. Usually 43K streams are impossible here. Anyway, so far so good with Jet Audio, and I'm tentatively recommending it with the caveat that I have only limited experience with it so far. This is one 'clean' way to play RA and RAM files, etc. with no spyware. :(

We dodged a weather bullet last night. They were forecasting 20-50 mm more of rain but I don't think we got any. The basement is drying up. Ours is unfinished; more like a crawl space than a usable one so there's not much damage to any property. The only thing we are concerned about is our gas furnace. When it dries out completely we get the gas companies repair contractors to come in. I use the old Real Audio Basic 8.0 which was not as intensely spyware-ridden. It did force me to download the Real Audio 9.0 codecs. I don't have any trouble with Real Audio. And my system is typically clean except for this past week when a malware dialer snuck in and installed itself. See other yesterday thread from yesterday.

SonicDragon
so there's not much damage to any property.
Good news Peachy! Nice to hear that you didn't have to deal with that other patch of rain :">

I'm in PA which has had flooding this week. One county had 13" ( over 330mm) in 12 hours. We had the sump pump going on Monday but we didn't get flooded. The county south of us did and part of New Jersey and Delaware.Too bad we can't pipeline all this water to the West coast to put out all the forest fires raging. :">

zlim...........Send that water ...... in a ligt to moderate rain fall ... over several days ... not only to help the fire fighters but also to fill up our resivoirs ... they are so low that there is barely enough water for the fish to live in now .....

Real Player Enterprise is free of all the crap
Really!! Does it automatically start when you boot? And have an icon on the desktop? And one in Quick Launch in addition to the one in the System Tray? Does it put an icon to itself in the IE menu? And lock a link to itself to the Start Menu? And are all these things optional when you install? All this so when you click on the URL for a RM file on a webpage it will automatically be invoked.

James M. Fisher
And are all these things optional when you install?
Pretty much; just chose "Custom Install". Those options not available at that time can be adjusted by going into Preferences afterwards. Edited by James M. Fisher

linuxdude32

We were lucky, Peachy (I'm in the same city as Peachy) especially so since we're in a basement apartment and would've lost pretty much everything. From what I understand, home insurance only covers damage due to sewage backup (which happened in many parts of the city, too) not flooding and businesses pay a premium for flood insurance so most don't have it. Our downtown core was extensively flooded. Many businesses will probably go under unless the Province steps in to help - damage is estimated in the millions of dollars. Here's a good website with flood pictures taken by a local photographer/web designer:http://www.daneagleton.com/20040715/Late afternoon we received another torrential downpour but this time it didn't last as long. Was some localized flooding. I feel really sorry for people who had just finished getting water out of their basements (or basement apartments) only to have more water come in today. Peterborough normally doesn't get flooding despite the fact that we live on a river and have several creeks that flow through the city. We had smaller flooding about two years ago (mainly people's basements in some valleys in the city) and that was from a 100-year storm. I wonder if they'll end up calling this a 200-year storm? B)

linuxdude32
You guys ok?  We've had thunder storms and heavy rains now for about an hr on this side of the pond.
Nice and dry here now. We received quite a downpour late afternoon around 3 pm. Was still going when I laid down so not sure how long it continued but no flooding here to report. It's amazing how fast the water disappears once the rain stops (other than all the stuff in basements, etc.).How was your basement, Peachy? Edited by linuxdude32