ETC Computer

epp_b

I'm considering buying a rather large ticket item from a place called ETC Computer:url: http://www.etccomputer.ca/The thing is, I can't find any reviews (not even on Reseller Ratings) about them, so I'm a little bit skeptical. Has anyone bought anything from them or know of any places with reviews on this business? (Has anyone even hard of them B) ?)

Have you called them? You can tell some things about a company from their people that answer the phone.
No I haven't, but good point. I've had a brief conversation with them through their "Live Help" tool.I've had some *excellent* correspondence with a different company through e-mail . . . but they don't have the item I'm looking for in stock B)

ECS G732 with ATI Radeon M9P 64 MB, 512 MB DDR 333 RAM, 40 GB HDD, SXGA+ (1400 x 1050 resolution) LCD screen.XCanPC, whom I'd like to buy from, has this notebook listed on their website but they don't have it in stock right now B)

I'm considering buying a rather large ticket item from a place called ETC Computer:url: http://www.etccomputer.ca/The thing is, I can't find any reviews (not even on Reseller Ratings) about them, so I'm a little bit skeptical.  Has anyone bought anything from them or know of any places with reviews on this business?  (Has anyone even hard of them :whistling: ?)
They look legit. They have a store on eBAY Canada and nearly 100% satisfaction. Looks like they have been in business a while.See: http://stores.ebay.ca/ETC-COMPUTER

Just another question while I'm at it. Has anyone here had experience with ECS and warranties? I don't expect (or hope!) to run into any problems, but I'm a little paranoid about some of the warranty experiences (only 1 year :hmm:) I've read other places online.

Guest Paracelsus

If I'm not mistaken...With an authorized reseller/distributor, if you need service, you can send it to them and they mediate between you and the manufacturer.If not...Then you are responsible to get the system to the manufacturer.

If I'm not mistaken...With an authorized reseller/distributor, if you need service, you can send it to them and they mediate between you and the manufacturer.If not...Then you are responsible to get the system to the manufacturer.
Interesting. They said they'd do that anyway (be the "middle-man" for support).

Guest Paracelsus
Interesting.  They said they'd do that anyway (be the "middle-man" for support).
Sounds good then :thumbsup:Some e-tailer may do this as a way of garnering loyal clientele. I certainly hope that what they say they'll do... and the reality, are equitable.Edit: I hear LabRat shouting... "Caveat Emptor" B)

Then again you could end up with an outfit like the local one in Missouri where we purchased all our school computers. I purchased one from them as well and had several issues that had happily been resolved. Then there was still time on the warranty and I tried to call them and could not make contact. I found out they closed up shop and went away. We had been dealing with them for over four years with great success. There just are not any guarantees in this world so the best you can do is research like you are doing and hope for the best outcome.Julia

Can you tell me what difference this would make?
From ECS, RMA rules:Some websites are selling phase out products, out-of-warranty products, and refurbished products at a below market price. You own the risks if you purchased any of the above-mentioned products. ECS, as a Manufacturer, only supports products that are under Manufacturer warranty. If products you have are out-of-warranty, phased-out, or damaged and you choose to have ECS service you, the cost of service is $50 to repair/refurbish and one-way ground freight.Also:Physical damage, mishandling, mis-use, illegal modifications, no serial number and missing parts will automatically void the warranty. All items MUST be returned properly packaged & protected. Any item(s) returned in envelopes will VOID THE WARRANTY, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Thanks bc2m. They say that they cover the warranty themselves and I contact *them* for warranty support, not ECS (they don't ship it to the ECS headquarters either, they send it to a local service shop)

Most credit cards these days offer an automatic doubling of the warranty (up to one year) if you buy using the CC. I have had good success with both Amexco and Visa when I have invoked this warranty support in the past. IMO, buying any tech parts without using a CC card is foolish.btw: According to Visa rules, companies are not allowed to charge extra for using a CC. They CAN offer a discount for cash, but they CANNOT charge a surcharge for using a CC. I got this in a letter direct from Visa some years back. I'm sure MC is the same. Not sure about Amexco off the top of my head.

Guest Paracelsus
Most credit cards these days offer an automatic doubling of the warranty (up to one year) if you buy using the CC.  I have had good success with both Ameco and Visa when I have invoked this warranty support in the past.  IMO, buying any tech parts without using a CC card is foolish.
EXCELLENT point, IBE98765 :thumbsup:And it's good to know that this has worked in a real life situation.I think most of us sometimes forget about the extra protections afforded by a quality CCThanks for bringing this to mind!!

Most credit cards these days offer an automatic doubling of the warranty (up to one year) if you buy using the CC...
Woah, woah, woah! Explain that a little further please! According to what you say, I could have a *two year* warranty just because I would use Visa? A good warranty is a very attractive aspect of a sale for me.

Woah, woah, woah!  Explain that a little further please!  According to what you say, I could have a *two year* warranty just because I would use Visa?  A good warranty is a very attractive aspect of a sale for me.
Yup. Read those fine print statement that CC companies send out occasionally. I've got one here from Bank One entitled "Visa Standard Guide to Benefits", dated 3/1/2004. There are a number of free services built into most CC cards, such as Worldwide Travel Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Travel & Emergency Assistance Service and what I am referring to specifically here - Warranty Manager Service. You can call you CC company and ask then to send you a copy or there might be something on their webpages.
Warranty Manager Service offers Extended Warranty Protection that doubles the free repair period under the original manufacturer's written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible Visa card.
As always, there are exceptions. For instance, motorized vehicles, computer SOFTWARE and medical equipment aren't covered.Also, in this case, you need a U.S. warranty. For you guys in Canada, not sure what happens up there. If you are a U.S. citizen and buy something our of the country, it needs to state that it has a U.S warranty. Again, you need to read the fine print real close.

• 4 weeks later...
btw: According to Visa rules, companies are not allowed to charge extra for using a CC.  They CAN offer a discount for cash, but they CANNOT charge a surcharge for using a CC.  I got this in a letter direct from Visa some years back.  I'm sure MC is the same.  Not sure about Amexco off the top of my head.
Sorry for reviving this thread so much later.Anyway, this is interesting, because I see that this company charges an extra 2% of the purchase price when I select a credit card (I tested my cart with a cheque money order, and no 2% was added to the pseudo bill).

A lot of companies do this. They figure they can always BS the consumer. As I said, it also depends on what credit card you are using and I don't know if this rule applies to purchases by non-USA citizens, though I believe it should be a worldwide policy.If you truly want to buy from them, tell them that CC rules prohibit a surcharge and ask them to sell you the product at the cash price.Alternately, get in contact with the CC customer service and discuss the issue with them. File a complaint against the store. See if they will send you a letter on their policy or if it is posted somewhere on their website. Don't hesitate to ask for a supervisor or manager if you get stonewalled.

A lot of companies do this. They figure they can always BS the consumer. As I said, it also depends on what credit card you are using and I don't know if this rule applies to purchases by non-USA citizens, though I believe it should be a worldwide policy.If you truly want to buy from them, tell them that CC rules prohibit a surcharge and ask them to sell you the product at the cash price.Alternately, get in contact with the CC customer service and discuss the issue with them. File a complaint against the store. See if they will send you a letter on their policy or if it is posted somewhere on their website. Don't hesitate to ask for a supervisor or manager if you get stonewalled.
Ibe, all very good points :hmm: Thanks!
...I don't know if this rule applies to purchases by non-USA citizens, though I believe it should be a worldwide policy.
Ah yes, Canada...the land where the cash price is only half of what you actually pay B) :rolleyes: I wouldn't doubt one bit that it would be an issue of nationality for CC surcharges. In fact, I be surprized if it were the Gov't was the one charging this 2% :lol:

Well, this could be good...I found a local retailer who says they can get the laptop I'm looking for. (well, it's relatively local - it's only about 70 miles away, not 1400!)Plus, these local guys say they can offer me a 1 month exchange policy, something I didn't find with ETC. It will cost me just under $100 more if I buy from them, but I'd say it's worth it for the peace of mind I'd get from buying locally.Oh, and I've checked them out. They're in the BBB and the official provincial business listings, so I'm quite sure they're legit. I've had fairly good and prompt e-mail conversations with them (I got a response at 8:00 PM - talk about service! :blink:)Any thoughts in agreement? Disagreement??

That sounds like an excellent approach epp_b.The exchange policy is good. The fact you can see them face-to-face if needed is good. The respond to your emails in a timely fashion is good. And peace of mind is priceless. Go for it. :blink:

Sorry for reviving this thread so much later.Anyway, this is interesting, because I see that this company charges an extra 2% of the purchase price when I select a credit card (I tested my cart with a cheque money order, and no 2% was added to the pseudo bill).
I've seen it advertised on some sites and stores that the prices you see are ALREADY cash discounted.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PRICING IS 2% CASH DISCOUNTED (CASH, CERTIFIED CHEQUE AND INTERAC ONLY) FOR IN-STORE PURCHASES. WE DO NOT ACCEPT CHEQUES THAT ARE NOT CERTIFIED. SHIPPING CHARGES AND APPLICABLE TAXES ARE NOT INCLUDED. PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. INSTALLATION IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE COMPONENT PRICING. ALL PRICING IS IN CANADIAN DOLLARS.
So, technically, they're getting away with it by saying that if you pay in cash you get a discount, rather than saying if you pay by credit card you get dinged a surcharge! :blink: Semantics I tell ya! :wacko:

So, technically, they're getting away with it by saying that if you pay in cash you get a discount, rather than saying if you pay by credit card you get dinged a surcharge! :lol: Semantics I tell ya! :lol:
Ain't it stupid how you are "allowed" have total disregard for rules just by changing the wording? :wacko: :blink:

That sounds like an excellent approach epp_b.The exchange policy is good.  The fact you can see them face-to-face if needed is good.  The respond to your emails in a timely fashion is good.  And peace of mind is priceless.  Go for it.  :blink:
If & when I do, I'll very likely go through these guys rather than remotely.

It will cost me just under $100 more if I buy from them, but I'd say it's worth it for the peace of mind I'd get from buying locally.
Support your local economy.