Blocking Ads in Mozilla/Firefox

unnisasi

I want to add a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Mozilla/Firefox in linux/windows found in URL given below.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Is there such a zone in Mozilla/Firefox?..if so how can add the above list.

Grasshopper

There are a few places that have a comprehensive set of known ad sites that are listed in the hosts file. You can dl it after backing up your own hosts file. If there is a site that doesn't work (ad-listed) and you need it to, then you can just delete the line in the hosts file. The hosts file works independently of the browser, whatever it might be.

nlinecomputers

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Mozilla doesn't run Active X so there no need to block those kinds of sites. You can safely visit sites that for Interent Explorer are browser hijackers.In Mozilla you have a cookie manager which you can populate with your list. Not sure how you can enter it except manually.For linux if you must use a host file(again I personaly would worry. This stuff is aimed at winblows boxes not *nix systems) then I'd see this link:http://elouai.com/hosts-linux.phpIt has a good explanation of the /etc/host and host.deny files.

If you just want to block ads (like banner ads and such), you can do one of two things:1) Install the ChromEdit extension (not necessary, but its 100x easier) and use it to add this code to your userContent.cssor2) Install the AdBlock extension and see This page for a list of filters to use with it.You could even do both for twice the protection (one might catch an ad the other misses)

Thanx steeler fan for life, it works like a charm...this is exactly what i was looking to do & hopefully other members will also benefit from this.

Thanx steeler fan for life, it works like a charm...this is exactly what i was looking to do & hopefully other members will also benefit from this.
Did you use one or both of them?

Hey, SteelerFan, that page you mentioned for AdBlock filters was an eye-opener on the use of regular expressions as filters.I've used the userContent.css method successfully for some time, and often wondered how compact the code could become and still be effective.Is the blocked item stopped from downloading, or just prevented from displaying ?

I was wondering the same thing...It depends on your settings in adblockFAQ# What's the difference between "hide" and "remove"?"Hide" preserves a page's layout -- content being downloaded, but not visibly rendered.."Remove" collapses the layout -- no content is downloaded.