Win XP security/privacy

trigggl

I registered with one particular torrent forum and in one of the sections a Moderator offers a rather nice startup package. Within that startup package is two nifty programs, one of which is for XP exclusively. The two programs are Protowall and Blocklist Manager. Protowall uses something built into the XP os to deny activity to specific addresses that are recorded in a list that can be compiled with Blocklist Manager. Well, after figuring out how to use Protowall, and browsing the web, I noticed that a lot of instances of Doubleclick were being blocked. I run the latest Spybot S&D so this kind of surprised me and also gave me a greater sense of security. One of the sources available in the Blocklist manager is a Spyware list. I'm thinking that this is an even better way to enforce privacy and seems even more secure than relying on Spybot. In fact, I'm thinking of finding a way to compile this same list to be used in Linux where I'm not aware of an equivalent program to Spybot. It definitaly seems like a good way to keep bandwidth free for wanted internet traffic by blocking the unwanted traffic.I certainly intend to keep using Spybot SD, but feel like I'm heading in the direction of being even more secure. It's also an interesting way of finding out what company a web site really belongs to. My job's internet filter uses the HP range of IP addresses. I had to permit that particular range to get to some of the controlled sites.

James M. Fisher
Protowall uses something built into the XP os to deny activity to specific addresses that are recorded in a list that can be compiled with Blocklist Manager.
Sounds similar to a modified "Hosts" file, which is a standard Windows file. You can read more about it here and download one:http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people,I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but I load this before I even think about going on the Web. And you may want to have a look at the URL below.This is what its blocking at the moment and it is configurable. :P Successfully loaded 3723931974 IPs from 11291 profiles.PeerGuardian 1Ozi.Edit: deleted a second URL.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, guys, for a very interesting thread. I took a copy of the HOSTS file from the mvps.org site and stashed it in Windows. This is my first time trying that method. All I found in my 98SE originally was a small hosts.sam (sample). Next time I boot into Windows I will try to pay attention and see if I notice anything different about browsing behavior. It sounds like I would not usually see much difference day-to-day. I found that site "Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File" quite a good read with a lot of other interesting security stuff. Quite a goldmine of info there.Peer Guardian looks interesting, too. It sounds like an exe that installs into Windows and has many more listings, plus configurability. Anyway, "3723931974" (3.72G) unique IP numbers sounds impressive. I hope they do not block entire domains just because they have a few jerks on there. Unless, of course, they are evil spammer or phishing domains exclusively. It sounds to me like some of these 'bad' IP addresses are constantly morphing or popping up new. It is no doubt quite a challenge to maintain an accurate and exhaustive list of these black sheep from hour to hour or even day to day.

Cluttermagnet
The Hosts file is easily 'edit-able' either in Notepad, or you can get "Hostsfile reader" here on this page: http://aumha.org/secure.htm
Right, it sure is. I took a look at the one you suggested, and ended up putting it in c:\windows (98SE). I used Wordpad to view it, since it was a bit too big to open in Notepad. Actually, editing looks like a cinch- of course one must be careful with correct form and syntax and such. I don't feel at all intimidated by manual editing of such files, that is pretty straightforeward. What I'm wondering about is the best way to connect with the most up to date info as to which sites or domains belong on an ever-growing blacklist (HOSTS or other forms). This is still beyond my present experience and expertise, though I am well aware there are internet communities devoted to this ever changing challenge and who try to 'get it right'. I note with interest that the two examples given in this thread, a HOSTS list and a utility called Peer Guardian, differ tremendously in size. So they obviously must reflect some very different choices along the way. I will need to read up on this area and understand which philosophies are at work here, so I can develop my own.

called Peer Guardian, differ tremendously in size. So they obviously must reflect some very different choices along the way. I will need to read up on this area and understand which philosophies are at work here, so I can develop my own.
Hi,PeerGuardian is a stand-alone programme that runs in memory when you load it.It doesn't install into the Restricted Zones of your browser, as a lot of host files do.It's NOT a TSR and can be unloaded at anytime if you want to enter any site it's telling you is blocked. :devil: It also has (I think it's 'four' now) optional block-lists that take you right up to the CIA, FBI and foreign governments etc. hence the Size! :thumbsup: It is pretty heavy on memory usage and I would recommend at least 512Mb to avoid any problems. It is good, and I've been using it for quite some time and it doesn't have any Vermin attached to it. :huh: If you need any more info, should you decide to D/L and play with it, send me an E'mail, or a PM, so I can compile something, and we'll sort it out here......Ozi.