xmms installation problem

unnisasi

When i try to install xmms i end up with a Glib missing or not installed error. I had chosen the development & kde,gnome etc options during installation. This is what i get during install.[root@localhost xmms]# ./configurechecking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuchecking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuchecking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether build environment is sane... yeschecking for gawk... gawkchecking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yeschecking for prefix by checking for xmms... nochecking for gcc... gccchecking for C compiler default output... a.outchecking whether the C compiler works... yeschecking whether we are cross compiling... nochecking for suffix of executables...checking for suffix of object files... ochecking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yeschecking whether gcc accepts -g... yeschecking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none neededchecking for style of include used by make... GNUchecking dependency style of gcc... gcc3checking for strerror in -lcposix... nochecking whether byte ordering is bigendian... nochecking for inline... inlinechecking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yeschecking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether ln -s works... yeschecking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yeschecking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ldchecking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yeschecking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -rchecking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -Bchecking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sedchecking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_allchecking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... okchecking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -Echecking for egrep... grep -Echecking for ANSI C header files... yeschecking for sys/types.h... yeschecking for sys/stat.h... yeschecking for stdlib.h... yeschecking for string.h... yeschecking for memory.h... yeschecking for strings.h... yeschecking for inttypes.h... yeschecking for stdint.h... yeschecking for unistd.h... yeschecking dlfcn.h usability... yeschecking dlfcn.h presence... yeschecking for dlfcn.h... yeschecking for ranlib... ranlibchecking for strip... stripchecking for objdir... .libschecking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPICchecking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yeschecking if gcc static flag -static works... nochecking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yeschecking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yeschecking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yeschecking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yeschecking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediatechecking whether stripping libraries is possible... yeschecking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.sochecking if libtool supports shared libraries... yeschecking whether to build shared libraries... yeschecking whether to build static libraries... nochecking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... nocreating libtoolchecking pthread.h usability... yeschecking pthread.h presence... yeschecking for pthread.h... yeschecking for glib-config... nochecking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the*** full path to glib-config.configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install first ***Someone pls help me..can't live without xmms in linux!

wow - xmms is not by default installed upon installation? Thought every distro had xmms, haven't run across one yet that didn't

Well install GLIBC? Even though I don't understand how it is possible for you to not have this..Try installing XMMS using urpmi.bah, Gentoo's so easy - emerge xmms

Your best bet is to update your URPMI database, and just give the command:"urpmi xmms" in a commnad prompt. It should install everything that you need for xmms to run. If not, it will tell you the files that are needed, and again, issue the command previously given, and add on the same line, with spaces between them, the files that are needed.Your machine will do all the work for you. It wiil fetch, download, and install everything that you need to run your desired file. I did that a few days ago. Trust me, it will work, and a lot easier than trying to compile what you want. :zorro:

Hi UnnisasiI agree with previous postes . . use the Mandrake Control Center --> Package Management for installing XMMS, the package is on your install CDs and will bring up no faillure.Additionally you might want to install "xmms-alsa" too . . . it helps to get your sound working in XMMS ( You need to choose the correct output plugin in "preferences" once XMMS is up. B) );) Bruno

Yipee...Finally it workedThanks to onederer & as always bruno for the tips...i needed both the tips to get xmms working.Now i've got another problem i will post it as a new topic..so pls check it out!!