Optimizing notebook battery life

Webb

securitybreach

You can always replace anything given the time and effort. Actually, it shouldn't be that hard if you open up the laptop. Even soldered in is not that hard to replace.

That's the problem. It Isn't worth the cost, time and energy for a $200 computer when I can hook it up permanently to a <$10 AC cable.

I'm currently running battery bar. At least this is closer in line with the inbuilt battery gauge. When installed, it shows over 5 hours remaining, the same as the inbuilt one. Then it dropped to 4 hours and some minutes then 3 hours and some minutes. Then it jumped back to 4 hours and some minutes.

Inbuilt showing 5 hours and 2 minutes and battery bar shows 4 hours and 40 minutes.

I plan on running this until I get the low battery alert. Start time 3:00pm local time.

Local time is now 5:40pm and both inbuilt and battery bar are showing I have 51% or 2 hours and 30 minutes left.

Local time is now 7:25pm; one shows 1 hour and the other 40 minutes. Both show 16% remaining.

I'm not sure what percentage it will warn me then shut off.

At 9% remaining I plugged in the power. This was a 7:45 local time. I had a warning at 10% then told I should plug in, if I wanted to continue working.

Then the orange power light started blinking.

4 hours 45 minutes from the original battery on this netbook purchased in August 2011.

Edited by zlim

• 6 months later...

The battery has developed a severe memory problem.

I went out of town for Thanksgiving and didn't take the charger, planning to use the computer only for email and a couple of forums.

I saw the low battery threshold coming but it always gives me a warning at home so I didn't worry about it.

At 40% the computer shut down and would not restart. I cursed a bit and vowed to recharge it when I got home. When I got home the NirSoft program showed 2% charge remaining, which I suppose is why it wouldn't restart. I seem to have trained the battery to die at 40%. Recharging it up to 90% took excessively long - over 3 hours. The last few percentage points took over 1/2 hour.

V.T. Eric Layton

Ummm... if that battery is anything other than the old style nickel-cadmium, it doesn't develop a "memory" like this old ni-cads did. Lithium Ion batts found in cell phones, cameras and most laptops in the last decade do not suffer from that affliction. When sessions get shorter and battery power "cliffs" instead of gradual discharge, the battery is just plain shot. Get a new one.

Reset everything to zero. Fully charge then fully drain.

I'm not sure yet where I'm going to reset the warnings but it's going to be a lot closer to 5% than 40%.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I stand corrected on my previous statement that li batts did now suffer from memory effect. Evidently, I was stuck with old science knowledge. It seems they've changed their minds. Next the eggheads will be telling us coffee is good for us again. ;)

http://phys.org/news/2013-04-memory-effect-lithium-ion-batteries.html

Glad you got it going, Jim. :)

That article refers to batteries using LiFePO4 electrodes. This type has very consistent voltage over the discharge cycle but is less energy dense than the more common LiCoO2 electrodes used in most portable consumer electronics.

I use a LiFePO4 battery as a receiver pack in one of my RC helicopters. It is still going strong after about 4 years, although I never do a partial charge which is what the article refers to relating to memory effect.

So Eric, you were probably safe in your original statement that there is no evidence of memory effect in most lithium ion batteries.

• Like 1

Then in your situation, when it is fully charged, unplug it and use it on battery. When the battery warning comes on, plug it in and recharge.

Keep repeating this pattern until the battery can't be recharged.

Next time when shopping for a notebook, be sure to check if the battery is easily removable. If not, walk away from the purchase no matter how good it sounds.

I disagree. The battery has a limited number of recharge cycles and if the battery isn't removable, it means the charging circuit is designed for the device to remain "pluged in".

The advice to remove the battery once fully charged, was true of earlier laptops, but it doesn't really apply to current models with improved non-overcharging circuits.

edit: Though it probably wouldn't hurt to unplug and run on battery once every couple of weeks. But even that is getting a little OCD.

Edited by lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

So Eric, you were probably safe in your original statement that there is no evidence of memory effect in most lithium ion batteries.

COOL! :)