Name Computer

While registering my machine at the ol' linux counter, it asks for a "computer name" ( DNS name of machine if it has one. Otherwise, what you call it. ) I'm not so sure it has a DNS name (nor do I really care to find out), so I'm looking for a name for my PC.Does anyone here name their PC's? If so, how do you go about doing it?

steeler fan,I did the same thing when I named my machines.... started a thread in the Cooler. I got some really cool suggestions!My main machine is Liberty.My test and install machine is Rebel.

I have mine, junk, husband and daughter's. That is as fancy as I get. The junk one is my old, old, emergency backup computer and the rest are according to who the current primary user happens to be...... Creativity does not about here!Julia :thumbsup:

I name mine by type machine or something related to model( ie HPvl420..AMD64..etc) sounds dumb and not very creative , I know, But for me it's a memory key for specs , os load and for network.....

For mine I just call it phillipc and my kids' is called emmabean. For the rest that I play around with, for installs, multiple Linux distros it could be any combination of the following, depending on the mood I'm in: anarchist thinkers, variations on the chipset model number, and this month its the code names of the motherboard chipsets. So, for instance, the two machines I'm testing unattended installs on are being named Canterwood and Camino, while the one at work is being called Springdale. Any hardware mavens know the identity of the chipset? :thumbsup: Other times I use the code name of the Windows OS for a Windows OS and the code name of the Linux distro for the Linux OS. So, other names I've christened include valhalla, shrike, bamboo, etc. When I multiboot my computers get schizophrenia because they may have a different name depending on the OS you boot it in.

Are you sure you're not harvesting names for some sort of remote desktop hostile takeover? :thumbsup: Desktop = WallaceLaptop = Grometw-g.gif

Guest Paracelsus

Before it died of Brain Cancer, I called my old PC: "El Dinosauro"My latest one is "LabRat's Domain"I suppose it's a bit like naming a car.And depends a bit on whether you're fond of it...Or consider it a constant source of frustration & expense :thumbsup: :lol:

I name all off mine based on motherboard, processor, and ram amount.Example: 1. Asus-PIV-10242. AsusII-PIV-10243. Intel-PIV-10244. Asus-AMD-5125. Intel-PIII-512

I've used One, Two, Three, .... :lol: And user's names, and type ie laptop, tower, etc and processor type. It's more of the feeling at the moment.

Are you sure you're not harvesting names for some sort of remote desktop hostile takeover? 
:lol: I was wondering that also. :whistling: ;)

In Win XP when I was setting it up, it asked for license info. I said I was Fangorn and my company is Ent.So, in my Mandrake install, I called the main computer fangorn. I gave the daughter's computer a name, too, but I don't intend to network it and forgot what it was. Maybe it's pippen.For you, call it Bettis or the name of some other player from the Steelers. Come on! You choose the name "Steeler Fan For Life" and don't know what to call your computer? :whistling: :lol: :lol: ;)

littlebone

The four that have wandered in and out of here were (are):ChaosPandemoniumFrenzyand BedlamFrenzy has been donated, the other three talk to each other now and then.

For you, call it Bettis or the name of some other player from the Steelers.  Come on!  You choose the name "Steeler Fan For Life" and don't know what to call your computer? <_<  :lol:  :)  :lol:
I like this idea....but I also LOVE Lord of the Rings, so I like that idea too...If I name it for a Steeler...I'm thinking Ward or Porter....

Mine has two names because I have two hdds each with its own os. the small one is mush and the bigger one is (what else ) BIG MUSH .P.S. in case you wonder where the name comes from I have a husky named ( what else ) MUSH <_< :) :lol: