Windows-Linux

DarkSerge

securitybreach

Excellent DarkSerge :thumbup:

Sunrat is right, wine works beautifully for most apps. Just check the database...

BTW I have been playing Fallout 3 GOTY for a while and it works flawlessly in Linux via wine.

Yes, I'm good to go now. I figured out what was wrong and fixed it. I simply didn't have gedit installed so I just installed it with my Software Manager. Xubuntu came with a different text editor, Mouse Pad. I have been able to access my Windows share from Xubuntu, but I haven't attempted to share anything from Xubuntu to a Windows computer.

So things are working better than I expected. All my hardware (including my Pantone colorimeter and the software I found for it) work just fine. I guess the only thing that'll keep me going back to the Windows install will be my photo processing. I still like Photoshop over GIMP, and I do bulk processing in Canon Digital Photo Professional software, which I haven't looked into any Linux replacements just yet.

However, I've heard of this software called Wine that I can use to run Windows programs. What is that like? What's the ease of use? I did read somewhere that it has issues with Photoshop CS3, which is the version I have.

That's AWESOME news that all your hardware is working out of the box!!!! I knew your colorimeter would work; I just didn't know how many hoops you'd have to jump through to get it working. Would it be plug'n'play? Would you have to fiddle with it a little? Or would it be so convoluted that you gave up and returned to Windows before you got it working? I'm glad everything is working out of the box! In my observations, an out-of-the-box experience goes a long way to convincing new users that Linux is a viable alternative.

You are correct about the text editor for XFCE desktop. When I saw your post about gedit error, I immediately knew that your error was a different text editor. While Gnome-based desktops have gedit by default (and Ubuntu Unity is based on the gnome shell), KDE users have Kate (kedit?), XFCE users have mousepad, and LXDE/Openbox users have leafpad. Inasmuch as the vast majority of Ubuntu tutorials are written by Ubuntu/Unity users, they mention gedit due to their user perspective. This caused me fits in my LXDE experimentations, until I figured out that leafpad is the alternative editor. Inasmuch as I have both Unity and LXDE desktops in my house, I still type "gedit" when I should've typed "leafpad", so you're not the first to stub your toe on that one Serge! I was going to post the modified command for Xubuntu/XFCE desktop users is

sudo mousepad (target/file/to/view/or/modify)

But I see you have already installed gedit. That is also a good solution! Isn't it wonderful to have options for solutions?

Since you've already addressed that, let's touch on your Photoshop issues. It does indeed install with Wine, and Sunrat is correct that it is highly rated for Wine compatibility. In addition to Wine, I would recommend you also install Winetricks, as it will greatly simplify many Windows app installations in Linux. Once you get it installed and working, you will likely be as fully familiar, functional, and productive as you were in Windows. Since you're already familiar and comfortable with it, and it DOES work on Linux desktops, you should install it, IMO.

But you should also check out Linux alternatives (they are FREE, so no cost in sampling!) and see if any of them are capable replacements for Photoshop. While Photoshop may run in a simulated Windows environment on Linux, a native Linux application will almost certainly run better. The only question is if the Linux alternative will satisfactorily perform the function that you use Photoshop for? While everyone is aware of GIMP as a Photoshop alternative, some other image processors are Blender, Inkscape, Paint, Krita, etc... Here's a quick list of Photoshop alternatives for Linux users:

http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-photoshop/?platform=linux

Or perhaps you're looking to edit RAW photo files? In case you missed it in post #17, I'm told these are excellent softwares for photo processing:

- Darktable, specifically for linux users: http://www.darktable.org/

- Lightzone, a cross-platform application for Linux, Windows & Mac users: http://lightzoneproject.org/

FWIW, did you know that many big movie studios, such as Pixar, use Linux video/imaging software for their movie productions? If it's good enough for the professional major studios, it's probably good enough for us casual hobbyists right?!

In any event, use what works for YOU, but I did want to make you aware of the Linux alternatives. Congrats on getting it to work on your hardware, and welcome to the brotherhood! :clap:

• Like 2

I did install Darktable, I'm not sure what I think of it just yet. I've been using my Windows software for many years now (in the case of photoshop, almost a decade) so it's hard for me to consider switching to something else as my norm. And yes, I am editing RAW photos.

On a slightly different but related topic, Netflix. Still no support for Linux? I have other devices to watch it on, but it would be nice to be able to watch it on here.

Netflix does work in Google Chrome! Fantastic! I had only tried it in Firefox or Chromium on my Linux systems.

So how does Wine work? Do you have to run it as it's own program and open Windows software within it, or does it just kick in when I run something? Example, if I double click a text file, it opens in a text editor. Does it work like that? If double click a Windows program does it open and Wine kicks in, or do I need to run Wine first like an emulator and open the Windows file within?

securitybreach

BTW netflix has only been working on Linux for the last couple of months. Before that, you had to run it via wine.

Besides the installation part, this is useful for any distro and provides lots of tips and tricks for using wine.

BTW I play a few high-end games via wine and most of them will work just fine.

I searched the Software Center for Wine. What do I want to install from the following top results:

-Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (meta package)

-Q4Wine

-Wine Windows Program Loader

Option 3 seems to be the right one, do I need any of the other two?

Cool thanks!

Okay, new question. I'm able to access my Windows shares from Xubuntu. Now I'd like to go the other way around. How can I share something in Xubuntu to access from a Windows machine? (Windows 7)

I don't want to share anything on the Linux partition. I want to share items from other hard drives/partitions (NTFS) over my network. In Windows XP, I share drive X: over my network so on my laptop in Windows 7 I can add it to "My Computer" as a network drive. I want to do the same with Xubuntu. Otherwise, if I want to access drive X: from Windows 7, I need to reboot the Xubuntu machine into Windows XP.

I guess here's what I'm asking:

How can I share drive X: in Xubuntu so that Windows 7 can connect to it as a network drive?

Note: Drive X: is a non-OS drive, NTFS formatted.

Yeah, kind of. Although it doesn't seem to let me share the drive itself like I can in Windows. I followed the instructions and I can see the shared folders on Windows 7, but I cannot access them. I just get an error telling me I do not have permission.

On another note, Photoshop CS3 seems to have issues installing and running with Wine, as does Canon Digital Photography Professional software. So I'm going to stick with Windows for my photo editing (I know there's other software for Linux but I just don't like them.) Right now I don't really have the time or motivation to search out and try various workarounds and fixes. In my experience they never work because there's always a secondary issue to fix to get the first issue to work.

Right now I'll just have to decide on "Windows days" when I have work to do.

Yeah, kind of. Although it doesn't seem to let me share the drive itself like I can in Windows. I followed the instructions and I can see the shared folders on Windows 7, but I cannot access them. I just get an error telling me I do not have permission.

On another note, Photoshop CS3 seems to have issues installing and running with Wine, as does Canon Digital Photography Professional software. So I'm going to stick with Windows for my photo editing (I know there's other software for Linux but I just don't like them.) Right now I don't really have the time or motivation to search out and try various workarounds and fixes. In my experience they never work because there's always a secondary issue to fix to get the first issue to work.

Right now I'll just have to decide on "Windows days" when I have work to do.

sounds like you need to setup samba passwords for the windows user to access linux share.

With respect to Photoshop, version CS3 does appear to be somewhat buggy. Forums are littered with posts that the best solutions are to either downgrade to CS2 or upgrade to CS4. With respect to your Canon DPP software, wine indicates that is gold-rated, so you should be "golden" on that software, depending on version. This may prove helpful:

http://akshathabel.blogspot.com/2013/10/canon-digital-photo-professional-313.html

Or you can choose to work with those softwares on "windows days". Who am I to say that's wrong, when it IS a viable solution? Do what works for you!

With that being said, welcome to the world of trying to use Windows software in Linux. This isn't meant as a criticism, but I'd like to point out that you likely prefer the Windows software because it is what you know; you found the software to solve a problem; you're familiar with it; you're experienced with it; and you're productive with it. Nothing wrong with that. But as time goes by and your horizons are expanded with linux experiences, you will eventually get familiar, comfortable, and productive with linux softwares. If you had started with GIMP and DarkTable or LightZone and switched to Photoshop, you would probably feel the exact same way you do right now! I liken it to an english-speaker learning a foreign language. Until you're immersed and fluent, there are some things you only know how to say in your native tongue!

I'm far enough removed from Windows machines and windows software that I now prefer the Linux offerings. Windows is strange to me. Then again, maybe it's just me that is strange?!

Either way, do what works for you to be productive. But as you get more comfortable and more familiar with Linux offerings and conventions, keep an open mind towards new tools and software. Eventually, you'll likely come to a similar place as the rest of us. But there's no rush. Take your time...absorb what you can, when you can...and enjoy the experience!

• Like 1

sounds like you need to setup samba passwords for the windows user to access linux share

Many years ago when I used Samba, I recall I had identical username/password accounts on the linux and windows boxes. It eliminated a lot of hassles.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

You should never share an entire drive unless it is a data storage drive only.

Any drive that has an OS on it would be vulnerable if the entire drive was shared.

securitybreach

You should never share an entire drive unless it is a data storage drive only.

Any drive that has an OS on it would be vulnerable if the entire drive was shared.

:thumbsup:

The drives I want to share are just data drives. None of them are OS drives. The user names and passwords are identical on my Windows 7 laptop and my desktop when running Xubuntu. Tonight luck is on my side because without changing anything from last time, I'm not getting the same error when accessing the Linux shares from Windows 7. Maybe because I've restarted both systems since my last trial. I'm mostly wanting to share my Photography storage drive and my Music and Movies drive - nothing with an OS.

As far as software, I'll just have to take time to adjust I guess. I played around with Darktable for a bit and it didn't make much sense to me. I have a little GIMP experience and played with that a bit too.

Edited by DarkSerge

http://gimpmagazine.org/There is the excellent Gimp Magazine. Started in 2012 and they are up to issue 6. Free of course and they must be good as they have the sense to offer a torrent download. B)

Darktable has some good help,

http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/index.html.php

http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/index.html.php

Edited by abarbarian

The drives I want to share are just data drives. None of them are OS drives. The user names and passwords are identical on my Windows 7 laptop and my desktop when running Xubuntu. Tonight luck is on my side because without changing anything from last time, I'm not getting the same error when accessing the Linux shares from Windows 7. Maybe because I've restarted both systems since my last trial. I'm mostly wanting to share my Photography storage drive and my Music and Movies drive - nothing with an OS.

As far as software, I'll just have to take time to adjust I guess. I played around with Darktable for a bit and it didn't make much sense to me. I have a little GIMP experience and played with that a bit too.

Yep, the restarts are what made everything work for you. When you created "shares", you modified the Samba configuration files (/etc/smb.conf), but Samba was still using the configs it loaded at startup. When you rebooted, your Samba configs with shares were loaded. For future reference, another way to accomplish this WITHOUT shutting down & restarting your machine is to simply shut down and restart Samba. This must be done from the Terminal.

From the terminal, simply type:

sudo service smbd restart

With the terminal still open, also type:

sudo service nmbd restart

The network service daemons (smbd & nmbd) will both restart with new configs, within seconds, and you're good to go. A real time saver, compared to shut down/restart!

• Like 1

Perhaps my next photo edit day I'll play a bit with Darktable and GIMP after looking at those links above. Mostly I want to do bulk processing in Darktable like I do with Canon DPP. The main problem I'm having with getting Canon DPP to work is that I can't find my original disc and I'm trying to get it to run through the updater.

Ideally I'd like to share those drives like in XP, but as long as I can access the folders I need to on them that'll do for now.

Thank you to everyone who's been helping me out with all this. I've been using Xubuntu 90% of the time now with only a few Windows XP boots for networking or photo editing.