Oh the fun...

Grasshopper

nlinecomputers
Man. That's scary-looking. :lol: Glad to be totally outside of hurricane country.
Well he lives in Oklahoma so he is outside of hurricane country too. :lol: But they are ground zero of what is called Tornado Alley. Hurricanes might have alot more damage but at least you get alot of warning. For Tornado all you need is a hot muggy day and by late afternoon you are trying to find a hole to hide in. I use to live in Lubbock Texas(about an 8 hour drive southwest of OK city.) which was almost destroyed when I was a kid back in 1970. There is still a building in downtown Lubbock that is 20 stories tall that if you stand at the corner of the building and look up you can see the twist in the building structure. They had to put in special braces and tension blocks in the building to make it stable again. It killed 26 and was at the time the most damaging Tornado in history untill the Witchata Falls Tornado in 1979.

Being in Nebraska, I can tell you all about tornadoes... A little town about 20 miles from Lincoln (where I live) was literally destroyed last weekend by a couple tornadoes... 18 touched down in all that night.I went down to help them clean up on Monday and Tuesday and the destruction was incredible. The only building in town left standing was the bank (8" solid brick walls)... EVERY other building in town is beyond repair. Luckily only one person died.I also happened to be in Wichita when the tornadoes went through there about 6 years ago. It's amazing what WIND is capable of.

We had tornado touchdowns in Southern Indiana last night, too. The plant where I work has a "sister" plant about 15 miles away, and that plant had a wall pulled down by a tornado that tore up other parts of the town where it is located. There were other touchdowns even closer, and quite a bit of heavy rain. The flooding was worse than I've seen in years, if ever.

nlinecomputers

Holy S---!I hope everyone is all right. I understand what you mean by that high. I use to do some storm spotting when I was a teenager but a near lightning hit put an end to that. Trust me my mother was meaner then any tornado.Where do you be Stryder?

Hey Nate. I am in Indianapolis. I have been an amatuer storm chaser for almost 15 years. Been fortunate enough to ride with the pros on about 20 occasions over the years and this is the closest I have ever been. That dude was right on top of us. Literally a stones throw away. Trees and power lines are down all over my neighborhood. And luckily there seems to be only minor damage to houses in my neighborhood, although a couple of cars were tossed around like a kids toy and one flattened by a big maple tree. If I was wasn't already, I am now officially labeled the neighborhood nutcase. While most people were in their basements I was outside following it the whole time. They may think I am nuts, but I was first on the scene immediately afterwords going door to door to see if everyone was all right and offering assistance to those who did not have power and phone service. Somehow there was only one fatality in the state. 16 different counties had confirmed tornados, with many counties having multiple touch downs.

CNN reported this morning that there were 176 tornados yesterday! Is that a record? Simply amazing.

CNN reported this morning that there were 176 tornados yesterday!  Is that a record?  Simply amazing.
It may be jeber. I know the old record for a single day was in the 140s a few years ago, not sure if that number had been passed before yesterday. And the record for a week was set last year in May with 384

nlinecomputers

How big was it?I was in an f5 tornado when I was only 5 years old (May 11th, 1970 Lubbock TX.) and it destroyed about 1/4 of the city at the time. I've only chased a few of them all in rural areas. One was a f4 and a couple of f2. I was almost hit by lightning after chasing that F4 down near Sweetwater TX

My guess is an F3. Maybe, maybe F4. Because as it left my area it went through a Semi-truck training school and threw seims all over the lot. And I mean threw them. The news last night showed a half dozen or more semis/trailers laying on their sides all over the lot. And to be able to throw the weight of a semi around like a rag doll you are getting up to F4 wind speeds.

Glad your town was lucky. The area I am from in Missouri was not that lucky. When I pulled up the obits from the local paper the towns listed were that of the path of the tornados. the youngest killed was 24 and the oldest was 104. Growing up in the tornado belt I will take my hurricanes any day. You all know I never go out and take pictures or watch. :lol: At least we get plenty of warning.Glad everyone on the forum appears to be safe and sound!Julia ;)