Even root can't update "updatedb"= forbiden

onederer

Guest LilBambi

Hey, Banbi!

Did you see the post I put up earlier, with the output, after calling "updatedb", as root, and the output that it gave me? It only went that far, and not further.

root@Microknoppix:/# updatedb --output=onederer

/usr/bin/find: `/run/user/1000/gvfs': Permission denied

It was done using legal switches, no switches, whatever I tried to dream up to get rid of the "Permission denied", as root. It never went past that point. And I had no control that it would use the ?run/usr/1000/gvfs to execute my command. I don't understand what to do about it, and I'm giving up. I don't have the answers.

I appreciate the clue that you sent me, But that command is well and good for a system that's functioning as it should. In my case, you can see above, the results to"updatedb". I'm closing this post, because it's going nowhere. Many people on the WEB, have posted the same problem, I've seen no resolution for them also. It could be that there was some coding that was added to the OS, that broke other things in the process. I can't tell for sure. Anyway, we can't win them all.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Yes, which is why I said, just use updatedb without switches. It always works then.

Ah. For some reason, I thought you were working with a hard drive installation. A Knoppix "portable install" on a flash flash drive (with persistence) is nothing new, actually (see this). And you can certainly do something like that with other Debian-based distros (for example, I have the Debian-based MX-14 on a flash drive here, with persistence). So I can see how what you're doing could be useful. Is what you have something like this?

Yes that's what I'm doing with Knoppix in a flash drive. But I've been blocking Adriane from being installed, to save disk space. I don't plan on using it. The Knoppix setup is quite intensive, and very compact. There's a lot of stuff in there. It's like doing a Christopher Columbus, discovering new and ineresting capailities of this OS.

onederer, you've got me wanting to take a look. The most recent Knoppix release I have is 6.2.1 -- on a CD. I was kinda surprised to see that I noted that it was burned on 12-8-10 -- almost four years ago!

• Like 1