Can't boot Linux SSD's in older machines. Need a program to

onederer

I thought that he used to hang around this Forum before, but he got tied up developing his brand of BSD. But then, maybe I'm wrong. I didn't check the member's names to find out.

We used to have some coders in this Forum. Guess that they all disappeared! Faded away.

Cheers!

If you have a windows key on your keyboard Press the Win Key + X this will give you a list of things you can do in windows 8.1 If it don't work then it has been disabled. have you tried booting from a UEFI aware Linux Distro Mint 17 is one so is Ubuntu 1401.1 if you can boot from them there is hope. If you have restore disks that means that you can boot UEFI.

I'll try the Win+X trick tosee if that works. A good thing that I have a wireless USB keyboard to do that. And no, I've not tried to boot a UEFI Linux. The restore disks have not been tried because I thiught it was pointless since the DVD drive was just spinning, which would mean that the OS or bios was just neglecting the drive.

Cheers!

Guest LilBambi

Sounds as though my days of dual-booting will be over the next time I have to buy hardware--this is all sounding like way too much headache. Since I won't be able to afford multiple pieces of hardware, I'll have to decide whether to run linux or windows. And I'm sure I'd void the hardware warranty if I wiped windows. Bummer.

This is only for the Windows 8 tablets, not the laptops and desktops as far as I know, most everything is dual bootable by turning off Secure Boot in the BiOS/UEFI except for Windows 8 tablets.

I'd like to make a comment concerning Win 8 tablets, but I'd better not! It doesn't make sense why dual booting should be disabled. After all, Win 8 is a full blown OS, that works in every environment. Talk about being short-changed!

Things you need to Try.

If you are to boot with a Linux UEFI Aware OS unless it has a Microsoft Signing Key, then you have to Disable Secure Boot. If all else fails you could request a updated UEFI Firmware (Bios) if your present one won't let you disable.

How to Disable Secure Boot

You can control Secure Boot from your UEFI Firmware Settings screen. To access this screen, you’ll need to

access the boot options menu in Windows 8. To do this, open the Settings charm — press Windows Key + I to open it — click the Power button, then press and hold the Shift key as you click Restart.

Your computer will restart into the advanced boot options screen. Select the Troubleshoot option, select Advanced options, and then select UEFI Settings. (You may not see the UEFI Settings option on a few Windows 8 PCs, even if they come with UEFI — consult your manufacturer’s documentation for information on getting to its UEFI settings screen in this case.)

Boot From Removable Media

You can boot from removable media by accessing the boot options menu in the same way — hold Shift while you click the Restart option. Insert your boot device of choice, select Use a device, and select the device you want to boot from.

Edited by mhbell
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks to Mr. Bell, I found out how to get deeper into the bios thing. Initially all I was able to do, wast to play with the volume switch and the off/on switch. And that only led me to the MS boot manager, with the rest of the page blank.

Now with what i discovered with the above tips, I was able to access more parameters for booting and other selective choices to make changed to the tablet. I disabled the security boot function. I reset the priority booting sequence for HD's and CDROM drive, with Windows boot manager as the last choice.

In spite of all that, It made no difference. (2) USB hard drives would not boot up. (1) DVD player still would not boot up. Only Windows came up. And that's with the secure boot disabled.

While in Windows, I tried to look at the 3 USB drives to see what Windows could detect. It detected the two hard drives, and neglected the DVD player. One HD had Linux on it, so it couldn't read it. The other HD, apparantly had not been used yet, so it could make out the *.exe files to setup the hard drive for Windows usage. I did not this time, try to get the tablet to boot up a Linux USB memory stick.

So from what I can see, the bios choices are just a sham. The tablet doesn't honor the chosen choice.

And that's where we are at the moment. From what I read, the next generation chip, will honor dual-booting. But that's too late. I'm not a tablet collector. And that was supposed to be available this year.

Cheers!

So, my friends, is it still worthwhile to further persue this quest, or to just hang up the thought, and forget it?

Anyone else come up with other ideas? And, I appreciate your diligence in persuing this matter.

Cheers!

You will not get it to boot a Distro or OS that is not UEFI aware unless you can disable UEFI with a legacy setting in the bios. if none exists then you can only boot with a distro or os that is UEFI aware. There is a way to put some linux distros on a USB key or drive that will have a utility to make them UEFI aware and to boot them, but It is beyond my capabilities at this time. I do know that they exist. Unetbootin and some of the others will not work they are not uefi aware. somehow minni me comes to mind. don't know for sure.

Mel

• Like 1

How True. I believe it won't be to much longer and most new computer manufacturer's will adopt UEFI. and GPT. Much better as far as I am concerned. I am going to replace the motherboard in my main computer with one that has UEFI. I like the fact that I can have as many primary partitions as I want and the same for logical. It really makes things nice when you are multi booting and experamenting with several different OS's. as soon as the different Linux Distro's get signing keys you will not have to disable secure boot to install. UEFI and GPT have been around for many years. (Apple anyone) It is only since 2009 that the PC industry really started to use it. Microsoft is not the one responsible for UEFI secure boot and GPT, it is a industry standard agreed upon by most of the major computer manufacturer's and software makers.

Mel

• Like 1

securitybreach

My motherboad has a dual uefi and legacy bios but it took me almost a year to conver to uefi and gpt. This was due to the fact that I had more data than space to back it all up.

When I finally got an ssd, I decided to go with gpt and uefi while hard linking (ln -s) my old-home's folders to my new /home on the ssd. It works beautifully without any hiccups.