new cable modem

burninbush

Big adventure today ... comcast has been nagging me about upgrading my modem, and just when I was about to do it Newegg put a deal in front of me; a Motorola SB6121 (docsis3?) modem. So I ordered it, and today was the connect day.

Short version, download went from 34Mbps with my previous Moto Surfboard [ca 2003 or so] up to a sweet 64 Mbps. Sensibly 2x as fast. Upload went from 4Mpbs to 6.2Mbps.

But getting it to work was a major hassle that took a long phone call to Comcast. The online activation would not work in multiple tries, and even when speaking to a very nice woman it took most of a half-hour before my home page appeared.

Still not finished with the upgrade, the new modem has so far refused to talk to my old wifi router. So I unpacked the freebie little wifi router that came with the new modem from Newegg, and it works pretty well so far.

Onward!

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Congrats! And no rental fee (or purchase fee to get it from Comcast), and no monthly increase to Comcast to get your double speed. Very cool!

Good to hear. I'm with Comcast but they haven't nagged me to upgrade. I've been looking at SB6141 and saw good reviews for it. I did spy an SB6121 but haven't researched it yet. Now I don't have to. :teehee:

Ah DOCSIS 3. My ISP (Mr. Rogers) practices bandwidth capping. Although I was entitled to 80GB per month, Rogers capped me at 60 unless I upgraded from DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3 - and paid more natch. You can't buy your own. Have to rent from them.

Rogers only offered a DOCSIS 3 wifi gateway though - and it sucks as a wifi router. I have my own router and made sure I could get the gateway dumbed down to a bridge only modem before I picked it up.

So I made a 50 mile round trip to the nearest Rogers store and got the new (used) modem. After Rogers tech support spent 30 minutes trying to bridge the modem the guy pronounced it defective. I had to make a second trip. This time I insisted on a new gateway and it went into bridge mode just fine.

Just to show you how crappy Rogers gateway is, the tech who bridged my modem had the same router as I have. He didn't even use his own company's stuff as a gateway,

My modem is a Cisco DPC3825. That is like saying my car is a Yugo.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cisco-dpc3825-upgrade-basic-setup-bridge-mode-cable-modem-mode-1142802/

Edited by raymac46

Guest LilBambi

Haven't seen any of those for other networks. There are some crappy Netgear gateway routers on some cable companies as well. Well, some are crappy and some are OK. I think Netgear is just having a higher than normal failure rate on them. Once you get one that works, it works well.