$1.04/Gallon Gasoline

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Earlier this evening, I bought 20 gallons of gasoline for my old trucky (actually topped off both tanks) for $20.78. It was Shell gasoline. How'd I manage to buy gas for 1998 prices, you're wondering? Well, my local grocery store chain (Winn-Dixie) offers Fuel Perks® with the purchase of their groceries. I accumulated (over 50 days) enough perks to get a 2.08 discount.

How 'bout them apples? 061.gif

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It's a very cool program. Besides, the store has decent sales and good regular pricing. I can't complain. :)

As little as I drive these days, and even with my very sad gas mileage in that truck, I probably won't need gas again till November. ;)

I remember paying 18 cents per gallon.

In the '70s, after the "Arab oil embargo" when gas prices jumped to over a dollar....

My grandfather remarked that he remembered paying less than 5 cents pet gallon...

Then after a brief pause, he'd say.... "delivered".

I can remember gas below 50¢ a gallon AND you got a glass or a dish (could be plate, cereal bowl, cup or saucer) with the gas purchase. My mom used those white with red stripes along the edges dishes for a long time.

We used to get S&H green stamps with our fuel oil purchases and saved the books to buy items we wanted.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, me too! Kinda dates us a bit, eh? ;)

And to see the pricing which is *gasp* actually lower than it was a year ago, thankfully, is something else by comparison. It's no wonder the cost of anything like food, etc. has gone through the roof.

ZADDROx.jpg

That map snapshot for 8/26/2014 is courtesy of GasBuddy's Temperature Map (National Map). Click the image to go take a peak at GasBuddy.com National Map. I am sure most of us are familiar with GasBuddy and been using it since the gas prices went way out of sight.

I thought I did really well to find stations in Richmond at $3.05/gal. The average best price right now near us is about $3.12/gal and we are thankful! Just as the government and gas companies want me to be ....

Our price in PA is higher because there is now a new road tax tacked on. It is dropping but not like your's in VA. We got gas today at $3.279 which is lower than it has been for a long time.

V.T. Eric Layton

cool! good job!

my dad said (and he may (or not!) have been joking) that when he was younger, they had gas wars that drove prices down into the dimes per gallon range!

The cheapest gas I ever remember was from around 1969 or so. I was 8 years old at the time and a pal and myself used to walk down the block to a little corner gas station (it was an old ESSO - Put a tiger in your tank!) to fill up our tin with gasoline for our lawnmower that we used to cut the neighbors' yards that summer. The price of the gas was 19.9/gallon. We charged $3 to mow a yard. Nowadays, these kids come by and offer to mow a yard for $30-$40 a pop.

als-auto-care-brick-nj-shop-late-1960s-300x193.jpg

Guest LilBambi

if in the usa,

remember to take of the .37 / gallon tax off of you income tax. you already paid it at the pump.

I wish. This double and triple dipping is what is eating taxpayers alive.

Cluttermagnet

Yeah, I seem to remember it in the low 30 cent range per gallon in the early 1960's.

We don't have any stores with as good a promotion as that, Eric. We're in a kind of

'mediumish' price region, basically depicted in yellow/green on Fran's GB map above.