Oh no, I have broken pipes!

SueD

Guest LilBambi

I wondered if there was an issue of an updated nVidia driver that was too new for the version of Ubuntu you were using...

Great idea to install the new Ubuntu.

Smart woman! You knew better than to do it all on one partition! ;)

Cluttermagnet

WB Sue! I had an update from Ubuntu break one of my computers at most a few months back. I think it was an update to 12.04. Anyway, I had been using Linux Mint a lot so I just redid it with LM. Problems solved. Prior to that Canonical had been very good, never a problem after any updates for several years.

I also was taught to make a separate /home partition and have never regretted it. Besides, that forced me to learn more about partitioning back then. Only rarely do I let an install overwrite /home- only if something has become badly broken... :medic:

• Like 1

Hi Clutter, and thanks!

I decided to stick with Ubuntu since my husband is familiar and comfortable with it. 14.04 lts installed without a hitch.

Something happened with 12.04 (probably that same upgrade you're talking about) but I managed to find the solution and fix it then. But it's always good to come back "home" when things get really tough. :)

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet

Yep, I owe a lot to Ubuntu, and I used it for some years and pretty much learned what little I know about Linux on it. I tend to run older hardware, so the ever- increasing 'feature creep' in Ubuntu was a problem for me. So I end up most familiar with Debian distros and that makes Linux Mint a good fit for me- Joe average user, under the hood a little but not a major geek. ;)

• Like 1

12.04 uummmmm! Downloaded the iso . checksums matched . tried to install . All **** let loose . So dumped it and reformatted the partition and installed slack 14. instead .That just slid in like greased lightning .

Ubuntu sure don't like my stuff..

• Like 1

i'd mentioned in another thread that all my towers (all over 10 years old) finally went the way of all computers.

I'm still nursing an 11-year-old tower that still chugs along on openSuSE with xfce.
  • Like 1