no space left on device

réjean

I let it finish on its own last night and went to bed. This morning I rebooted into Ubuntu so I could change the bootloader and here I am in OpenSuSE with 28.5 GB free on my / partition. So either it was a botched upgrade last time or deleting the hidden files starting with "." helped but I would think it was the former.

Edited by réjean
  • Like 1

He said that thunderbird was an exception. Anyway I didn't use to delete anything and sometimes everything went well other times it was catastrophic. So go figure.

No problem josh!

But Thunderbird is NOT an "exception". Many apps use the "." file/folder. If you set your file manager to view hidden files you will find several that use it. IMO, the big reason for having a separate /home partition is so that you can keep all those "hidden" flies/folders and NOT have to re-install all of the apps that use them for their "settings".

But Thunderbird is NOT an "exception". Many apps use the "." file/folder. If you set your file manager to view hidden files you will find several that use it. IMO, the big reason for having a separate /home partition is so that you can keep all those "hidden" flies/folders and NOT have to re-install all of the apps that use them for their "settings".

A few people told him there is no need to delete those files/folders. Mind you when I was trying to "startx" among the other messages I was getting one telling me that

xauth: file /home/rejean/.Xauthority does not exist

Something interesting and potentially serious. I just went into my /home folder and click on "Show hidden files" and none of the ones I deleted got reinstalled? It cannot be because I personally copied my ".mozilla" folder from another distro into my /home and here I am using it with all the bookmarks and remembered passwords. Another enigma. Maybe the files/folders are really hiding from me, afraid I would delete them again. :whistling:

Before the install finishes, in case something goes bad again;

rejean@linux-wm43MT-S2PT:~> df -h
Filesystem	 Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1	 31G 3.7G 27G 13% /
devtmpfs	 3.9G 40K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs		 3.9G 84K 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs		 3.9G 14M 3.9G 1% /run
tmpfs		 3.9G	 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs		 3.9G 14M 3.9G 1% /var/run
tmpfs		 3.9G 14M 3.9G 1% /var/lock
/dev/sdb2	 50G 29G 20G 59% /home
/dev/sdb13	 44G 9.4G 35G 22% /mnt/pclos
rejean@linux-wm43MT-S2PT:~> 

after an hour still at the 68 % total progress, updating sloooowly. after 2 hours still at 70%. Now why does it take about 20 min to download and less than 30 min to install but over 2 hours to update/upgrade is what I would like to know.

I do network installs, so I'm downloading during the install. It still goes a little faster than the updates afterwards--I did network 13.1 install in just under an hour, but updates did seem to take 1.5 hours at least. Go figure. I think you're right--botched upgrade. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Yes ebrke something went wrong somewhere. I don't blame anyone, not even myself. It was one of those incidents and from the onstart I knew that a reinstall would fix the problem but I will never learn anything that way. Trying to fix it, even if it doesn't work and I have to reinstall eventually, gives me the opportunity to practice and learn new commands, new ways to make the OS work. I should probably start doing some network installs again which is what I used to do before we got broadband.

• Like 2

I would guess that 28GB messages file is the culprit. I have had log files go haywire and fill the / partition several times. The best way I found is to boot a live CD (I use Parted Magic) and move the whole file to a removable drive. Then reboot and open the new log file that will get created and monitor it to see what is causing all the log writes.

Use this command to list files in order of size

du -sh * | sort -hr

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

Yes, great way to potentially fix filled logs, sunrat!

Certainly couldn't hurt to try it either. If it doesn't work, then nuke the partition and start again.

Although, I it didn't hurt anything in this case to nuke the partition and reinstall because it seemed that the install/update was what filled the logs and if it was that corrupt already; better to nuke and install/update again.

I would guess that 28GB messages file is the culprit. I have had log files go haywire and fill the / partition several times. The best way I found is to boot a live CD (I use Parted Magic) and move the whole file to a removable drive. Then reboot and open the new log file that will get created and monitor it to see what is causing all the log writes.

Use this command to list files in order of size

du -sh * | sort -hr

Thanks for the suggestion and I am writing your command in my notes right now.

I would just say avoid Suse, I swear I have tried installing that on host drives as well as VMs and have NEVER been able to successfully install it. Maybe it has it's own trick and at this point, it's rather moot. Only Linux VM I use now is Mint to be able to troubleshoot issues that those that I have installed Mint; might come up with. ;) And I can honestly say, I very rarely get a phone call stating, my Mint no longer works.

• Like 1

I have been using it on and off for the last 5 years or so and except for the last update/upgrade I never had problems with it, whether I use the KDE or the Gnome version.

I have been using it on and off for the last 5 years or so and except for the last update/upgrade I never had problems with it, whether I use the KDE or the Gnome version.

Me too. I'm actually using xfce with the Gnome libs installed so I can run GnuCash. The problem I described earlier is the first I've had with openSuSE updates and I've been using it since version 8 (10+ years). Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1