réjean

using a router as a switch

crp

I hadn't realized you guys at kept on posting. Anyway last week I ordered a switch ( http://www.futuresho...54fd617c1d2en02) from futureshop which arrived today. [...]

:hmm: the 4 pins throws me. how does this facilitate in making a port passthrough , directconnect or crosstalk? or did they go 4pin in order to cut down the size of the device? I've seen 4pin used for sharing a regular ethernet jack, but i would still think one of the ports would be 8pin and designated to attach to the LAN.

the other thing that threw me was that it was 'WEB only'. It was only good for browsing the internet?? you couldn't use it if you needed to browse to non-popular HTTP ports?? :bangin: Then I realized :thudna5: it was 'WEB only' in purchase availability.

ross549

:hmm: the 4 pins throws me. how does this facilitate in making a port passthrough , directconnect or crosstalk? or did they go 4pin in order to cut down the size of the device? I've seen 4pin used for sharing a regular ethernet jack, but i would still think one of the ports would be 8pin and designated to attach to the LAN.

I know that 10/100 mode only uses 4 pins. The rest remain unused. Some have used that as an excuse to run two portson the same cable, but I can't imagine the crosstalk issues that would ensue.

Adam

raymac46

I remember doing this for my wife's friend Shari.

She had a DSL modem with one wired port. The modem handled the DSL password to the WAN and then assigned an IP for a LAN. Because it had only one wired port, Shari set next to it with a wire connected to her laptop. Don't ask. :'(

I hooked up an old wifi router to the modem and for a while she ran one LAN inside another. That seemed stupid to me since there was really only one laptop on the LAN - not exactly an industrial network. So I turned off DHCP on the router and used it as a wifi access point with the modem handing out the IPs. That worked a lot better. Finally Shari got a real wifi equipped modem so the old router was retired.

LilBambi

Always good to have a NAT or Stateful Packet Firewall between you and the Internet, even for one computer wired or wireless.

• Like 2

raymac46

Yes one NAT instance is great, but a LAN within a LAN can give headaches with certain applications. I tried to keep it simple for Shari even if it made life a bit more difficult for me.

Edited by raymac46

LilBambi

Which makes great sense.

We have at least two subnets here. But we are not Shari ;)