CD burning and Internet usage in XP

Prelude76

Prelude76

somethings been bugging me. when i make any CD in XP, using NeroBurn, and I am downloading something from internet at same time, instead of burning at 12x, it slows down (loses its buffer) and records at aprox 4x. I have a burner with safe buffer underun technology, but the burner goes, then stops, then goes again. its always losing its buffer. when i stop the downloading, it flies at full buffer and 12x recording.now, heres the thing. I dual boot Win98SE and WinXP. and in 98, even when downloading full ISOs, it records at full 12x, with no hiccups in the Neroburn's buffer level. :D i dont even know where to start with this one. its an annoyance, but a puzzling one. M$ made me think WinXP was more advanced than Win98 :D

This is interesting. I don't have the first clue why it's the case, but I'm hoping someone else does, because it'd be worth writing about in the newsletter and letting people know about. Have you tried other software besides Nero? And how recent is your Nero version?-- Scot

Hey Prelude, I scoured Nero's site and came up empty. How fast is your cpu and how much memory do you have installed? And are you using dma on your cd-r/rw drive? Personally, I have never had an issue using dma on my cd-rw drive, but I know plenty of people who have.

Prelude76

DMA. good idea. gonna check it out this evening, not sure if its on or off.System is Athlon 800, 512 PC133. WinXP SP1. Win98SE. Have Windows XP tweaked somewhat (nothing crazy), such as some useless services disabled.it *might* have something to do with XP chocking on DMA, so i'll investigate it some more. In fact, its not just downloading that chockes the burner. Even mouse movement are erratic and Windows Explorer or any other program causes big time chocking, yet in Win98, I can use the computer smoothly. Both windows have newest NeroBurn, i keep updating it hoping the problem will get fixed B) but now i'm pointing my finger towards XP B) i mean, its come to the point where i just boot into Win98 if i'm going to be burning multiple CDs. If I use XP and dont touch the mouse and pause all downloads, then it runs at full speed.P.S. - my CDRW is LG 24x write

DMA.  good idea.  gonna check it out this evening, not sure if its on or off.System is Athlon 800, 512 PC133.  WinXP SP1. Win98SE.  Have Windows XP tweaked somewhat (nothing crazy), such as some useless services disabled.it *might* have something to do with XP chocking on DMA, so i'll investigate it some more.
Prelude,Since you have an AMD CPU what is your motherboard chipset? If it's VIA, make sure you install the Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers to enable DMA.

Prelude76

got latest hyperion drivers, peachythey just load up automatically. dont they enable DMA by default, or do i have to change something in those drivers?

Here is my 2 cents,I would check the DMA setting for sure.I have not burned with 98 for a few years but I do have XP and burn 20+ a week and have quite a bit of experiance multitasking while burning.I use XP Pro, Nero 5.5.20 and have 512MB of DDR333 on my Asus k7v333 running a slightly Overclocked Athlon XP2000+. With Nero burning a 700MB data CD I constantly have my newsreader downloading something from usenet and I am often also doing some file maintainence. Usually it is moving files from one drive to another or running FSRaid checking PAR files or WinRAR or even a few times I have been running TMpegEnc encoding a 1.4GB TV show I captured down to VCD size. I also run Windows Media player listening to music or watching video while burning a CD. All of these are somewhat of a processor hog. Actually I have seen slowdowns becuase of another issue though. The CPU can adjust to doing many things at once by doing it's pre-emptive Multitasking thing but what I think is happening in your case and from what I have seen on this PC is that there is just not enough bandwidth on the IDE or even PCI bus for all the tasks that are going on. Things that you need to make sure are set up correctly are.If you have the VIA chipset make sure you are running the most recent Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. Make sure your hard drives and CD ROM's are set to DMA mode in device manager. Make sure that the Hard Drive and CDRW are on seperate IDE channels (Hard drive will be Primary Channel Master and the CDRW should be on the secondary as either Master or Slave). My setup is a bit more complicated than your's. I have 4 IDE channels in use. That means 8 IDE devices. I have the RAID board but those 2 channels are disabled. My Boot Drive is Pri-Master, Documents, Downloads and Music Drive is Pri-Slave. Sec-Master is Lite-On 40X CDRW, Sec-Slave is Lite-ON 16xDVD. Siig I/O ATA133 is handleing the other 4 hard drives in the normal configuration. Slow downs do occur between drives on the same channel but my setup allows for the maximum possible speed between the Hard drives and the CDRW. I cannot watch a DVD while burning though. My setup will copy from DVD to CDRW just fine on the fly. You might want to turn off you antivirus while you are burning to see if that helps. Bring up the task manager whiule burning to see the memory load and processor load while burning. I have seen Nero take 85MB while burning. My usual Memory load is about 380MB but that is with many applications and quite a few services running. Processor load while burning should be less than 40% with your setup. Mine is under 10% while burning.Pick up Executive Software's Diskeeper version 7 for Win XP and install it. You could just need a good defragging. Also you might have to run the heavy boot time defrag to get your swap file defragged. Be aware that this could take some time. Version 5's bootime defrag ran me 19 hours once on a W2K PC.If I can think of other ideas I'll post them.Chris

Prelude76

actually, apart from the DMA, i think the seperate IDE channels might be the issue here.my setup: IDE Channel 1: Win98 Hard Drive; DVD-Drive IDE Channel 2: WinXP Hard Drive; CDRW Drivethat might explain why i get slowdown when accessing hard drive in XP only and not Win98 when burner is running. I'll take all the points ive seen and fiddle around with it tonite, and post you results tomorrow (i'm also loading SuSE 8.2 tonite, so its gonna be a busy one B)

Guest LilBambi

exactly right ... it definitely doesn't like having cdrw on the same IDE channel as the main OS partition. It can cause even worse problems than Prelude is talking about ... like a whole new set of coasters if the cdrw didn't have that special buffer underrun protection that Prelude was talking about.Even with that protection with my CDRW and Nero, on CDRs that I burn with deep directory structures, I still kick it back a notch.And at 366mhz Celeron and 128megs RAM, 16x CDRW drive (on second IDE channel) and Win98se; I don't do anything else while I burn CDRs/CDRWs unless I want to have some coasters.So at least you can count yourself luckier than some folks Prelude B)

Good call Fuzz, had not even thought about that (the IDE channels) . I have building PC's so long, keeping hd's on one channel and cd/dvd drives on another, that I do not even think about people not having it set up that way. I almost guarantee that is the problem. Especially considering everything else Prelude mentioned in his other post that slows the process down.

Prelude76

ok, but if i'm not mistaken i made the IDE channels that way on purpose.If making CD-to-CD copy, isn't it a lot better to have the DVD and CDRW on seperate channels?And my WinXP 's swap is on Win98 drive, and Win98 swap is on WinXP drive to optimize the swapping.so are all you guys in the same mindframe that its best to have both HD on one IDE, and both CDs on 2nd ide?ok ok, i'll listen to all your advice and swtich the IDE cables around tonite. any bets on if this will solve my problem? :blink: and the kicker is i dont even make that many CD-to-CD copies to justify their IDE channels to be split <_<

Prelude76

well, back to square oneI'm on my home PC now, and I was mistaken. The 2 HDs are on one IDE and 2CDs are on secondary IDE, so that answer doesnt jive. But i can't seem to enable DMA on my CDRW drive. all my other drives are DMA, except that one. I set it to "DMA if available", reboot, and its still PIO mode. that might be the problem, but why does it work good in Win98, and not in XP? Also, any other ways i can check DMA settings and set them, other than Control Panel / System ?

In XP right click "My Computer" Select "Manage" Click "Device Manager" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" you will see "Primary IDE" & "Secondary IDE" under both of them on the "Advanced" tab Transfer Mode should be "DMA if available" and the current transfer mode should be "Ultra DMA Mode 2" is you have a current drive. You did not mention if your CDRW has always don this. If so maybe it is just the drive. You can pick up a good CDRW of 48x speed for under $75USD that might also solve the issue.Chris

Prelude76

alas, its a bit more complex than that. - it is a fairly new drive, 32x write LG with buffer protection and DMA for sure- i have it set to DMA if available, and it still shows PIO mode for the CDRW only (the DVD is Ultra DMA mode 2)- i just check the DMA settings in Win98SE, and sure enough, BOTH CDRW and DVD have DMA enabled and running. (Ultra DMA mode 2, to be exact)so i bet thats the problem, the fact that in WinXP only, my CDRW;s DMA doesnt kick in. Its enabled in BIOS, and shows up enabled in Win98, but XP wont enable it for some reason.so close, yet still clueless how to solve this. will try re-loading Hyperion drivers, maybe they were corrupted. What about firmware update? should i mess with that?P.s.- just loade SuSE linux 8.2 on my system. guess what? DMA is enabled on both drives as well in that system. i think my XP is just plain buggy. ;)

Prelude76

actually, i googled DMA and XP on CDRW drives, and some other people had the same issues. No matter what, DMA was disabled on one or both of their drives in XP. and a popular fix is to delete the IDE channel causing the problem, reboot, and XP most of the times fixes itself by reinstalling the channel. theres also a regedit tweak to fix it. I'll post it for the record. I'll try these fixes tonite and hopefully put a close on this issue. :lol: Run Regedit and find the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000xLast four digits usually are 0001, 0002. Under those keys you will find MasterIdDataChecksum, SlaveIdDataChecksum. Delete the value corresponding to your drive. It will make the OS to redetect the device DMA capabilities after reboot

Prelude76

oh, as a side note, some people had this same problem with DVD drives instead of theirCDRW drives, and since the DMA couldnt be turned on in XP, their movies were super choppy and sound was chopped up too.woah, never realized DMA was so criticial :lol:

I think that if XP encounters some problems with the DMA setting it will kick back a notch automatically and stay there, not allowing you to return to that setting.

Guest ThunderRiver

Also, check out for IRQ conflicts in Windows XpOpen up Run and type in winmsd or msinfo32Check and see if you have any IRQ conflicts or sharing, specifically sharing between IDE CDR burner and Network card or modem. If they are sharing, you are pretty much out of luck because Windows XP will not let you change IRQ setting, which is the main drawkback in Windows system. Technically, if you uninstall ACPI, and reinstall it with Standard PC power management, you should be allowed to change IRQ, but then your system will no longer perform soft-power off then B)

Guest genaldar

If you have windows media player, but didn't upgrade to the nero burning plugin, its possible thats causing a conflict. I'm not sure why ie running would be causing the conflict to flare up, but it might be because wmp and ie are tied together. I'm mostly just guessing, but try it with the newest nero (which includes the wmp plguin) and see if it still happens.