Zuckerberg says basic Internet should be as universal as 911 service

Really ticks me off....sorry...

Aren't you excited about all the innovation that is happening in the mobile space and with all the choices you have for broadband? </sarcasm>

:(

Adam

Well it costs 20.38euro for 15gbts. here . Recently Tor soaked up loads of that ,so went over by 360mb and the provider really nailed me for an extra 14 euro. I,m running on a Huwaie 1752 sim card modem . Mostly I have the blue light on it ,but when it goes green that sucks ,so I dis and re -connect until it gives up and goes back to blue .

There is so much *capital* business done over the net these days that the providers could allow unlimited for a very low fee and actually make a lot more dosh.

But then lateral thinking wouldn't be their greatest forte.

Guest LilBambi

Aren't you excited about all the innovation that is happening in the mobile space and with all the choices you have for broadband?

Adam

I know Adam! It's nuts! :(

I hear ya Capt.Crow...

I try not to do speedtest.net results often as you can imagine...it's depressing!

3617923449.png

Me neither. Above is a very good day. Mind you I do get unlimited and me phone calls at home and abroad for £17 a month. :fish:

I first got on the internet in 1990 with a 30 day trial. I think it was with Prodigy. It was a long distance phone call to their nearest phone number 25 miles away in Portland so was running over a $1 a minute extra just for the phone bill. I didn't subscribe past the 30 days because of that. If I recall correctly I had about 30 minutes of internet time and it was just too expensive.

I'm not sure when, but the phone company finally stopped charging those outrageous "long distance" fees.

Aren't you excited about all the innovation that is happening in the mobile space and with all the choices you have for broadband? </sarcasm>

Adam

Actually, I am. This is how 4G works in urban Finland. No data capping.

3615494931.png

My 4G subscription comes bundled with "wired" (cable) connection...

3617787333.png

The cost? About a half of what Eric is paying. No phone services included, though. "Today's prices" for 4G subscriptions (max. speed 100-150 Mbit/s down, 50 up, no caps) are between €15 (24 months' fixed term) and €20 (open-ended contract) per month.

Dunno if this is of interest to anybody outside Finland, but there are three operators in the game here. Coverage maps:

DNA

Elisa

Sonera

kuvakaappuu14.png

Geographic/demographic low-down? Area similar to the British Isles, population similar to Scotland. 25 % of the population lives within 30 miles of Helsinki central railway station. 50 % of the population lives in six largest urban regions.

Population density map

4G in rural areas (using the 800 MHz frequency band as per ITU's 2007 decision) is under frantic construction. As it happens, (neighboring) Russia is using the 800 MHz band for air navigation systems. An agreement was reached in 2011, but first 800 Mhz base stations went "online" 1.1.2014.

Guest LilBambi

3618218720.png

This is a lie, or at least ONLY from the 'best' server based on ping times. This is an extremely good day.

This is on a day when I tried to load a NASA app on my phone and it said it couldn't load the images because the connection is too slow. So who's telling the truth and who's lying? ;)

Urmie! Great to see you!

What wonderful connections in Finland! Wish we had even 1/10 what you have on your 4G ... wait, then we could use up our 20GB cap in less than one day....sigh...

This is on a day when I tried to load a NASA app on my phone and it said it couldn't load the images because the connection is too slow. So who's telling the truth and who's lying? ;)

They both are. :P

I am sure the ISPs make sure that full speed is available to speedtest to prove it is not their network.....

Adam

I am sure the ISPs make sure that full speed is available to speedtest to prove it is not their network.....

An easier method: (re)defining "Grade F+" as "fantabulous and then some".

Urmas—Image Consultant

• Like 1

ross549 speedtest do not seem to alter results as I have had some really dire results showing lately.

As to Urmas can we not do something to stop him posting such awful speed results :teehee:

As to Urmas's results do not forget that he lives in a civilised country. Not a pseudo civilised country where they just talk about stuff and then look after the rich.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/15/finland.internet.rights/ (2010)

(CNN) -- Finland has become the first country in the world to declare broadband Internet access a legal right.

The move by Finland is aimed at bringing Web access to rural areas, where access has been limited.

corner_wire_BL.gif

Starting in July, telecommunication companies in the northern European nation will be required to provide all 5.2 million citizens with Internet connection that runs at speeds of at least 1 megabit per second.

The one-megabit mandate, however, is simply an intermediary step, said Laura Vilkkonen, the legislative counselor for the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

The country is aiming for speeds that are 100 times faster -- 100 megabit per second -- for all by 2015.

"We think it's something you cannot live without in modern society. Like banking services or water or electricity, you need Internet connection," Vilkkonen said.

Finland is one of the most wired in the world; about 95 percent of the population have some sort of Internet access, she said. But the law is designed to bring the Web to rural areas, where geographic challenges have limited access until now.

"Universal service is every citizen's subjective right," Vilkkonen said.

In June, France's highest court declared such access a human right. But Finland goes a step further by legally mandating speed.

On the other hand, the United States is the only industrialized nation without a national policy to promote high-speed broadband, according to a study released in August by the Communications Workers of America, the country's largest media union.

Forty-six percent of rural households do not subscribe to broadband, and usage varies based on income, the study found.

The UK gov talk a lot and spend millions on advertising what they will do. They do however as usual do very little. Mind you they do not really have the time as they are too busy fiddling their expenses, fiddling with kiddies , lying to the police and counting their bribe loot etc etc etc.

:pirate:

ross549 speedtest do not seem to alter results as I have had some really dire results showing lately.

On a slower connection such as yours the test will have far less trouble getting through the ISPs backbone network. On mine, however, the ISP would have to ensure the speed to the speedtest site is running the best it can be.

The speedtest test is really only good for showing your connection to the ISP. It won't reveal anything significant about the ISP's network or show bottlenecks to Netflix, etc.

Adam

As to Urmas's results do not forget that he lives in a civilised country.

That's simplifying things a bit. I live in central Helsinki where I can choose between the three (major) operators' best offerings (gigabit FIOS, 150 Mbit/s 4G LTE...) and, in my case, it is pure market economy competition between three players. One and a half million people within the greater Helsinki area. Lucrative "as is" for operators.

But when we talk about "all places rural" (as abarbarian and Fran all too well know), THAT is when a policy (and the necessary set of sticks and carrots) are needed. THAT is what the talk about "legal right" is about. Operators are under obligation to provide a decent — both in speed and price — connectivity THROUGHOUT the country. And yes, the infamous "taxpayers' money" is a part of that equation.

Maybe a tad simplified. However.

I only live three miles from the town center and I know folk who live deeper in the country that me who get much better speed than I do. My btaodband is supposed to be on a 8 Mb line, in what universe, cuckooland perhaps. An what about Floppybootstomp he lives in London (pop.6to7million) and just around the corner from an exchange and he could not get connected to it(not enough lines etc etc ) and whilst he did find a fairly decent provider eventually his his speeds are not anywhere near yours and certainly not as well priced.

There are folk in this country who can not get a telephone line let alone broadband.For goodness sake there are folk who can not get BBC programs and the BBC is funded out of the public purse and is supposed to allow everyone to have it.

My country is ruled by folk who worship greed and accumulation of wealth and the protection of that wealth and position at any cost.Things may be changing or seem to be changing but I doubt it will last. :pirate:

Edited by abarbarian

"Granny in the cabin".

mokkietu2901LS_mo.jpg

An imaginary creature in political parlance here. "What does this decision/law/whatnot mean to the granny in the cabin"? That is, how does it affect the lives of the people who are the least well-off.

"Civilised"... that is a civilised question. Needs to be asked over and over again.

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

On a slower connection such as yours the test will have far less trouble getting through the ISPs backbone network. On mine, however, the ISP would have to ensure the speed to the speedtest site is running the best it can be.

The speedtest test is really only good for showing your connection to the ISP. It won't reveal anything significant about the ISP's network or show bottlenecks to Netflix, etc.

Adam

Or NASA apps. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. The ISPs do not have 100% control of the speed of data delivered by remote sites. To prove that your connection to the ISP is solid, the ISP should give maximum priority to speed tests to show that your connection to the ISP is solid.

Now, their peering points are another matter entirely.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

If you notice, every time I post a speedtest.net result, I not that there is only one single peak at the high point, the rest is considerably less.

However, it doesn't help the F/F+ rating that Verizon Wireless has been given. So I think they know what they are doing. Not to mention that their throughput and data caps suck!

Right, though I suspect your speed issues are more closely related to RF issues than raw bandwidth available to the tower.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

True. Or at least mostly likely so.

They say we are on the fringe now. Most times we get full bars, but there are times when it inexplicably goes to 1x and low bars.

Edited by LilBambi