Accelerators And Alternative Browsers

ani

Hi,I know this may sound prehistoric to some of you. I still have to use dialup to access the net. So, my main concern is about SPEED. There are many internet accelerators in the market, and I have tested many of them, but I haven't found any of them really doing their work. Do you know any good accelerator that REALLY accelerates the Net speed? Are there any registry or system tweaks to do so?As SPEED is important, on the browsers front, IE is out of question. NetScape is too bluffy, and Opera still doesn't load multimedia or Java pages correctly. I am currently using these two browsers, one is Slimbrowser, and other is Avant Browser. Both are good, both work on IE engine. SB lacks in controls, AB looks cooler than SB, but is less stable.visit:Avant Browser's home pageSlim Browser's home pageDo you know any good browser for using with dialup?

Guest ThunderRiver

I just tried MYIE2, and it is quite impressive, but the ONLY reason that it is soo small is because of the fact that it relies entirely on IE. So if you don't have IE properly installed, MYIE2 won't work either. Opera has its own built in engine; thus, you wouldn't need IE.

If I may suggest Phoenix, slim and trimmed down version of Mozilla.It looks beautifull and it works great.Mozilla is open source browser with all the bells and whistles.Netscape is based on Mozilla engine.Phoenix is using same mozilla engine but without all the bells and whistles.There are some different tutorials that explain how you can run phoenix from CDrom, or USB drive or USB keychain.Check it out here:http://texturizer.net/phoenix/index.html

SonicDragon

I use an accelerator called LeechGet and i really like it. It seems to increase speed, but i haven't really tested it or anything. Even if it doesn't boost speed, you can still resume downloads if you get disconnected.

Ani, i have a suggestionfor my downlaod manager's need i use Star Downloader...a very small clean , stable and robust utilityand its spyware free too...and plus free in bree sense too..i hope i got that right :D the link is www.stardownloader.com......or just do a bloddy search on cnet.......u will find it..... :( and let me know did that utility helped u out?

Get Star Downloader at Nonags.com. It's an excellent UI for downloading, beats the default IE dialog box hands down. As stated above d/ls can be paused and resumed or resumed after a disconnection. I have never noticed a significant increase in speed though.

• 4 weeks later...
DavidsonicGuy

Sounds like you might want to check out www.propel.com to add some speed to your present ISP. Costs $7.95 a month. Another option might be check out www.netzero.com who now offers a technology similar to Propel, for an extra $5.00 per month, on top of their regular $9.95 per month. JD

Guest LilBambi

Phoenix (Firebird) is definitely a cool browser and you can turn off images and block third party ads and popups from within the browser.As far as 'accelerators' for dialup ... I would suggest just using a faster browser and skip the accelerators ... they are really a bit of a hussle ... they only appear to be faster by using caching and compression, and the caching actually just causes you not to always get the current version of the webpage. Quite annoying.Just my 2 cents.

I'm on a dial-up too and know how frustrating the slow speeds are.I opted to use Opera (with 7.10 leaving IE and others far behind... at least for me!). All I do is set it to have a large cache (50MB, which might sound ridiculous, but makes it work like a charm). Images get checked for updates once a week, while documents get checked every time they are called for.Ciao!

Guest LilBambi

havnblast --I hear ya! B) Ali --Glad you found something that works well for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work well for another ... But it is always nice when one can find the right nitch for them out of all the choices out there and the limitations of dialup ... boy can I identify with that! B)

I use flashget as a download accelerator. Works better than anything else I've tried.If I want a faster browser, I use Opera. There are also programs out now that tweak the settings in IE to increase the maximum number of connections you can have, which affects download speeds and page loads. I believe IE Accelerator is a program that does this. I'm not real fond of programs that just keep a cache of pages you frequently visit.Dr. TCP is also a nice little program to tweak your tcp receive window settings. Probably more effective on broadband than dial up though. I found that little gem through dslreports.com.

• 1 month later...

I've been using a registered copy of Opera 6, and more recently, an unregistered copy of version 7. Since forty bucks seemed a little rough to lose the ads, and since some of the sites I went to didn't display well, I looked around for something small and cheap. Decided to give SlimBrowser a try. So far, I'm in love! It's plenty fast enough, displays everything correctly, has a tabbed interface, popup stopper, and simple controls. No crashes yet, and it's free. Yes, it needs to have IE installed to run - so what? We mostly all have IE installed anyway.www.flashpeak.com

needs to have IE installed to run - so what? We mostly all have IE installed anyway.
One reason I took to Mozilla, now Firebird is that that I didn't have to download/install IE's patches (what's it up to about a thousand now?).