Don't Stop Believing, Microsoft.......

ross549

http://gizmodo.com/m...ture-1576383536

You'll notice a pattern here: First, lunge forward and freak everyone out. Second, stagger backward a little and iron out the kinks.

But there's a third step that's perhaps the most important: Get back to moving forward (at a reasonable pace). That's the one Microsoft is now starting to screw up royally.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft is a big player in the 2 steps forward, one step back game. Always has been.

Yep, once they do the two steps forward, one step back, they trudge onward from there.

They weren't playing it as well or quickly this time around though.

It took them way too long to do the one step back ... and it cost them.

They are recovering it a bit now, but they need to follow through on what they said they would do for the Desktop version of Windows 8.1 so folks don't get frustrated again.

I will agree that progress is important, even progress that doesn't interest me personally. But why go so heavily into a touch interface when a sizable percentage of your users (businesses for a start) aren't using that interface and won't be in the foreseeable future. Tablets are making their way into offices, particularly sales offices, but I think their use is limited at this point and I can't see them forcing out desktop-oriented computing for a while yet. And I may very well be wrong, but a touch interface isn't very well integrated into the whole paradigm of desktop computing.

Edited by ebrke

Touch is in it's infancy in the business world, that's true. However, I see touch as the wave of the future especially as we move more and more into the cloud. The browser will be our OS, and everything will be online. It will be a crzy, crazy world we will live in.

However, if Microsoft does not get off their butts with touch and lead in the space, they risk getting left behind, much like Palm OS, Blackberry, etc. in the mobile space.

Adam

• Like 1

. . . The browser will be our OS, and everything will be online. It will be a crzy, crazy world we will live in. . .

And at that point, I'll disconnect, if I'm not dead first. :bye2:

Actually, business has pushed this in to the forefron, with centralized storage of user data and network applications. The personal side is just starting to catch up.

Adam

• Like 1

Now is the time to release a hand-held finger mouse. WiFi of course. So touch will become a mere ancilliary.

Trusting your files to the cloud *bad idea*

I would argue that your files are safer in the cloud than on your local machine.

- Losing files on cloud services is extremely rare, since the providers are backing those files up and storing them in more than one location (normally).

- Your files are not subject to your own security system. Let's be honest- most users do not know how to secure their own files.

- Your files are more accessible, either from a web interface or through some sort of synchronization, eliminating the need for users to plug [possibly infected] USB key between machine or setting up insecure file shares.

And yet, we shun cloud services. They work, mostly. The bugs are being worked out. As in every situation, keeping your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. The same applies to cloud services.

Adam

• Like 1

. . . And yet, we shun cloud services. They work, mostly. The bugs are being worked out. As in every situation, keeping your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. The same applies to cloud services.

I think for many of us there's a gut reaction to the seeming lack of control over our data. Something about the idea that it's "somewhere else" that bothers us. Part of this could be generational--when I was coming up I definitely inhabited a different IT universe than the one that exists now. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Now is the time to release a hand-held finger mouse.
I've owned a finger mouse for about 20 years.

Like this, only mine is white with a black trackball.

finger_mouse.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The desktop is NOT going away ANYTIME soon. In some jobs, mobility is key, but in many (including mine) that desktop is NOT going away and it's vital. I will put a different twist on what was said earlier, tablets being a do all to end all are in their infantsy, but it can't replace the desktop in ease of doing one's job. Yes, eventually we will have things in the cloud (most people do at this point) but me.....I DO NOT want "MY" stuff in the cloud, I want MY stuff to be right here on MY hard drive where no one can see it or possibly get access to it and where I control the security of my information. Now mind you a good hacker if he really wanted to; could get into my box but it would take him some time and effort and I don't really think I am important enough for a good hacker to mess with. ;)

***I write this from my home DESKTOP ;) :hysterical:

Edited by ichase
  • Like 2