8" Floppies?

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm pretty sure I heard them say that they weren't on the internet with those systems, so that at least is a blessing. Their elderly systems seem to be working (we're still all here), and I think I'd rather have something old and proven than new and buggy.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You mean you don't think they should control all the nukes via their Twitter accounts?

• Like 2

60 Minutes shocked to find 8-inch floppies drive nuclear deterrent

Bet they're still running Win XP, too. ;)

No way they're running anything as modern as XP. :teehee: The last computer I saw with 8" floppies was running CP/M. But those are probablly running an IBM OS that predates DOS 1.0. :clap: Even DOS 1.0 used 5.25 floppies, not 8".

edit: Now that I think about it, I doubt that those computers even have an "OS". More likely, they are "single task" machines with the task hardcoded and the 8" floppies merely containing the latest launch codes. The original 8" single sided floppies only held 128kbs of data.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 4

No way they're running anything as modern as XP. :teehee: The last computer I saw with 8" floppies was running CP/M. But those are probablly running an IBM OS that predates DOS 1.0. :clap: Even DOS 1.0 used 5.25 floppies, not 8".

edit: Now that I think about it, I doubt that those computers even have an "OS". More likely, they are "single task" machines with the task hardcoded and the 8" floppies merely containing the latest launch codes. The original 8" single sided floppies only held 128kbs of data.

They'd have to replace the floppies once in a while--where the heck do they get new ones? Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

securitybreach

They'd have to replace the floppies once in a while--where the heck do they get new ones?

Maybe they bought millions billions of blanks...

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yep, sure they thought ahead on that. ;)

My sarcasm detector just went off.

13459862467878.gif

V.T. Eric Layton

The Russkies aren't that backward. They have the new VOIP cans nowadays...

string-cans-600x400.png

• Like 2

amenditman

They'd have to replace the floppies once in a while--where the heck do they get new ones?

They can get anything made, they have an unlimited source of income. Us!

The IRS is paying Microsoft to maintain security patches for Windows XP for them.

V.T. Eric Layton

That's scary. My income tax data is manipulated by those pasty-white gnomes under the IRS building using that very secure OS, Win XP. Oh wait... I have no income tax data. You have to have an income for that. :(

By the way, MS is maintaining support for XP for China, too, I read somewhere.

They can get anything made, they have an unlimited source of income.

I just got a mental picture of an old man at a machine in a locked room somewhere, shuffling around and making 8" floppies on demand.

You're kidding. I thought every version of XP in China was pirated.

amenditman

That's scary. My income tax data is manipulated by those pasty-white gnomes under the IRS building using that very secure OS, Win XP. Oh wait... I have no income tax data. You have to have an income for that. :(

This is Microsoft's newest profit stream, maintaining XP security updates for paying customers. The IRS is reportedly paying at least through the end of this year. Should be millions in income for MS.

I'm sure they're not the only ones paying for and receiving security updates. A sweet deal for MS while they can make it last.

Guest LilBambi

I would say billions with a 'bee' ... but who's counting ... they are playing with OPM (Other People's Money) and calling it their own!

V.T. Eric Layton

You're kidding. I thought every version of XP in China was pirated.

No. Serious. Even if they are pirated, the Chinese don't want to fall victim to spam, hackers, and malware even if it is mostly created in China. ;)

Hold the presses... there's been an update to that China/XP story. See the very last line of this article -->http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Extends-Windows-XP-Support-in-China-430204.shtml

More news on that topic --> http://www.thestreet.com/story/12667938/1/backlash-in-china-as-microsoft-cuts-xp-support.html

The Russkies aren't that backward. They have the new VOIP cans nowadays...

string-cans-600x400.png

On a shared media backbone? That almost sounds Russian in its inefficiency.......

Adam