Plea to use more BitTorrent

sunrat

From http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Kabelverstopfung-Telekom-aendert-Strategie-gegen-Skin-Effekt-2157959.html?wt_mc=rss.ho.beitrag.rdf

Google translate:

Cable Constipation: Telekom changes strategy against skin effect

Due to the higher frequencies with which data are being chased by copper cable , the outer regions of the lines are overloaded. This ensures a displacement of the atoms in their correction now to help customers .

The German Telekom changes its handling of the so-called skin effect , which ensures that the transmission rate in copper cables decreases more and more with time. Previously the company had tried himself to be this process Lord and let the customers feel as little of it , but that's changing now . Also, because the costs are getting higher , customers will now be encouraged to increase their upload rates to help flush out the lines. Means the choose will most likely be Bittorrent , but the protocol is particularly effective against the skin effect .

The transmission frequencies are getting higher - and therefore also increases the problems with the copper lattice deformation.

The transmission frequencies are getting higher - and therefore also increases the problems with the copper lattice deformation. Enlarge Apart from making calls in-law were previously charged on average equal in both directions telephone cable. With the widespread introduction of ADSL but this has changed significantly . Not only that, now far more downstream takes place as upstream, because of the high frequencies - in ADSL downstream all the way up to 1104 kHz with ADSL2 to 2208 KHz and VDSL2 even up to 30 MHz - the so-called skin effect also ensures that the flow of electrons on the outermost area of the copper wire concentrated ( skin depth 66 microns at 1 MHz ) . Over time, the one-sided load results in a continuous displacement of the outboard copper atoms. The resulting asymmetry in the face-centered cubic metal lattice has fatal consequences . This creates echo effects and the attenuation is higher, which significantly reduces the maximum transfer rate of the Discrete Multitone used transmission ( DMT) .

While it was never made to cable twists in Germany fuss, they are carried out publicity about in Switzerland.

The Swisscom Telecom has long been aware of this effect. So far, they had tried at a high cost to solve the problem yourself . Thus, in particular " clogged " pipes cumbersome copper cable had been taken from the earth and put back into the ground in the opposite direction. Because of the ensuing wrong main flow direction of the displacement data of the copper atoms was reversed - the jam so disintegrated by himself before he showed up again after a few years. In spite of the great effort that remained for a long time the preferred approach , as the massive increase in the upload volume , which would actually be necessary, the networks would be overloaded total quickly .

Meanwhile, however, dominate all modern modems a " cleaning mode " , in which an upstream is carried out with a specially optimized data patterns. In technical jargon, the English description "Advanced Particle Relocation in Line" has it enforced. For legal reasons, but must be be initiated by the customer. Provider cause then at the request of such a blow-by from the modem. In low transmission rates should so be sure to insist on the hotline .

Telekom campaign for more uploads

Telekom campaign for more uploads enlarge the idea of ​​the New Telecom , depending on the Up-/downstream-Quotienten discounts is now granted. To whom thus down - and uploaded amounts of data to keep the balance , to feel it on the bill and to reduce financing needs . The giant pink still expected cost reductions , as the cable to be twisted to be made more and more frequently now . To quickly drive the upload rates in the amount he wants as soon as possible to encourage the use of Bittorrent . But that alone was not enough yet , it must be ensured that the user will no longer cancel the sharing immediately if all the files are downloaded. Only through sustained uploads the lines would be cleaned and for advertising Telekom with the slogan "Please seed ! " . (Anders Skämt ) / ( mho )

Posted on April 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Egads! That was a bad translation. :(

I'm ashamed to say that I have not quite mastered the art of torrenting. All I can ever manage is leeching. I haven't been able to figure out the intricate mysteries of my router and port forwarding to allow true torrenting on my systems. I'm sad. Anyone have a tutorial on how to do this?

I don't open any ports on my router. You don't need to. However, I would strongly encourage setting your torrent program to only converse with other users via encrypted transfers. Most clients should have this option. Keeps the ISPs from thinking you are up to something.

V.T. Eric Layton

It's my understanding that if you don't seed as you torrent, you're leeching only. Meaning you're taking advantage of downloads but not offering anything to the P2P network. This is frowned upon in torrenting society. You cannot seed with closed router ports. For security purposes, you're advised to set up a dedicated torrenting directory with limited permissions and allow seeding by using router port forwarding techniques in order to mask your system from the outside world. I've been told that leeching is bad, bad etiquette in the torrenting world.

Have I misunderstood or been misinformed about this?

Any torrenting experts out there?

Not an expert but if you download only then you are a bad egg.

Torrenting is about sharing the load. You can set up a torrent client like Transmission to only use one port of choice and you can set your router to only let Transmission use that port.

Depends on your router, my old Linskys could do that but this new AOL router can not at least I can not see how it is done.

Seeding is another thing entirely but most clients can make new seed files.

I only use torrents for Linux distros an other legal stuff. :fish:

V.T. Eric Layton
Torrenting is about sharing the load.

Exactly.

I had it all set up at one time on this Verizon (Westell) router, but I haven't set it up in quite a while, so I don't even remember how I did it back then. I'm sure there is TONS of stuff online showing how it's done. It just hasn't been a priority for me because I don't download much stuff. However, I've noticed that many sites are only offering torrents for downloads lately. Slackware started offering torrents for their .iso files a while back. That's all they offer from the Slackware servers. If you want to standard download of the .iso you need to go to one of the mirror servers to get it nowadays.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm pretty sure that Roger meant that we enjoy the humor of this terrible Google translation when he posted this. However, it's actually a serious topic, constipation notwithstanding, so I've decided to move the topic to to the Social Media area of the board.

Egads! That was a bad translation. :(

I posted the original link so you can read it in German if you like.

I'm pretty sure that Roger meant that we enjoy the humor of this terrible Google translation when he posted this.

Not the translation but the content. "Advanced Particle Relocation in Line" :D
However, it's actually a serious topic, constipation notwithstanding, so I've decided to move the topic to to the Social Media area of the board.

Noooooooooo! People might think it's serious. I posted it in Restaurant because it's not. Better to start a new topic if you want torrenting help.

When a torrent file is made, the original file/folder is broken up into a mess of chunks. When you download the torrent file (which does not have the shared file in it), you begin to connect to peers to start downloading the file. Each peer sends you different chunks. As you get each chunk in, it is compared against a hash in the original torrent file for integrity. if bad, it is rejected and downloaded again. Once you have a valid chunk, you begin to share it out automatically (unless you have specifically turned it off).

Once all the chunks are downloaded and verified, the original file/folder is reassembled on your drive, and you transition to "seeding", unless you have turned it off.

Leechers ar those that 1. download and stop right away or, 2. Don't share back to the network at all. Commonly, those that are downloading and not yet seeding are considered leechers.

As far as a special torrent directory. I have never set one up. I suppose you could, if you were paranoid. It depends on how much you trust the program, I suppose. I can't think of why a program would look at any other files in a directory unless it was malicious. I've not heard of this being an issue at all.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Adam

i don't like the idea of (mostly) unmanaged / infested pcs connecting to mine for anything

???

It is not like Kazaa or junk like that where a folder is shared over the internet.

Adam

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

???

It is not like Kazaa or junk like that where a folder is shared over the internet.

Adam

That's right. You're just seeding the file you just leeched. You're not giving people unlimited access to everything on your system.

Guest LilBambi

How to Completely Anonymize Your BitTorrent Traffic with a Proxy - Lifehacker:

BitTorrent isn't the quiet haven it once was. These days, everyone's looking to throttle your connection, spy on what you're downloading, or even send you an ominous letter. If you use BitTorrent, you absolutely need to take precautions to hide your identity. Here's how to do that with a simple proxy.