and now for some more idiocy from the government

yes, I consider public school administrations as government.

This story makes me wonder when Virginia moved to Florida.

also seems to explain why more parents do a type of home schooling.

Just remember, these idiots are indoctrinating the next generation of Americans.

What makes school administrators get these God complexes?

They are a bunch of screw-ups who mostly seem to make bad decisions.

How can you apply any set of rules with a zero tolerance policy in a school full of kids?

Maybe none of them are parents, or were ever kids. That would explain their attitude that their rules are perfect and will apply to every situation without exception.

They are a bunch of screw-ups who mostly seem to make bad decisions.

And that is why we have the much maligned "common core" curriculum being pushed to the schools these days.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

It should be mandatory for all children in the U.S. to attend schools run by the Blessed Sisters of the ******* like the school I attended as a child. Sister Mary ******* and the gang really got those lessons across. Of course, rulers across knuckles, selective starvation, standing in corners for hours, and water-boarding were all part of the curriculum. Well, maybe not the water-boarding. I don't think that had been invented yet. ;)

IMAGE REMOVED at member request ~Eric

It should be mandatory for all children in the U.S. to attend schools run by the Blessed Sisters of the ******* like the school I attended as a child. Sister Mary ****** and the gang really got those lessons across. Of course, rulers across knuckles, selective starvation, standing in corners for hours, and water-boarding were all part of the curriculum. Well, maybe not the water-boarding. I don't think that had been invented yet. ;)

I went to that same school, Eric.

I can read, write, calculate, and cringe with the best of them, all thanks to the Sisters.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

There are some really good private schools too guys. ;)

I wish home schooling was a viable option when my kids were growing up.

So much changes in a generation!

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm being very tongue-in-cheek with my satire on the nuns who taught me for the first eight years of my classroom education.

While I don't particularly care for the forced indoctrination into the mysteries of religion foisted upon me as wee laddie by those Irish nuns, even that had its beneficial effects later in my life; making me into the happy, carefree atheist that I am today. :)

The fact of the matter is that I'm very grateful to my parents, who wanted me to have the very best possible education that they could manage to provide for me. And I'm forever indebted to those dedicated and oddly dressed ladies from the Land of Eire, who used all the tools at hand to hammer some actual knowledge and discipline into all those little scalawags they had charge of in those classrooms.

They were most definitely strict; some even pushed the limit at times, seeming to enjoy their work a bit too much. However, many little boys and girls, like myself and Bob above, left the care of those nuns as much improved specimens of humanity than were were before the sculpting with rulers, harsh words, and other improvised punishments for infractions deserved or not "molded" us.

I can read. I can form a sentence. I can properly (usually) punctuate and capitalize (That's not a hit against you, Temmu. Just saying...). I can even add and subtract sometimes. I know my multiplication tables all the way to the 12s, too. I have Sister Mary Magdalene (later Sister Debra - a name change), Miss Stavarski, Miss Gonka, Sister Deloris, Mrs. Stewart, and Miss Mann to thank for that. Yes, there were lay teachers at my school, too. However, they followed the decrees of the higher ranking nuns who ran the place 100% of the time.

I have many adult friends, who couldn't properly formulate a sentence if their lives depended on it; neither can the read one. They were all products of Florida's (and the rest of the South's) wonderful public education system. My tax dollars hard at work. That's a whole nother story, though, for another day.

Here's where I went to school for the first 8 years of my educational life (grades 1-8): St. Lawrence Catholic School, presided over at that time by Father Lawrence Higgins and the Sisters of St. Clare from Newry, Ireland. The sisters are still around, by the way. Their convent is across the Bay from me these days in St. Petersburg, FL, but they're still a very active bunch.

Group_Photo_All_2007.png

The fifth nun from the left (Sister Bridget) is one of the nuns who taught at St. Lawrence back when I was going there many years ago (1966 to 1974). She's still alive and well. I emailed the convent to inquire about her a year or so ago. She's enjoying her well-deserved retirement. :)

OK, then... so much for today's jaunt down Memory Lane. ;)

It should be mandatory for all children in the U.S. to attend schools run by the Blessed Sisters of the ******* like the school I attended as a child. Sister Mary ****** and the gang really got those lessons across. Of course, rulers across knuckles, selective starvation, standing in corners for hours, and water-boarding were all part of the curriculum. Well, maybe not the water-boarding. I don't think that had been invented yet. ;)

Can the image please be removed. I am not and was not Catholic and I realize Pope Pius12 was at least a sympathizer with the Nazis but the nuns and priests in Germany were not.

V.T. Eric Layton

Shall I just remove the entire post for you, crp?

Did you read my follow-up about that being "tongue-in-cheek" humor?

V.T. Eric Layton

crp,

I was serious. If the post/image offend you, I will remove them. I just wanted to make sure first that you understood that I have the utmost respect for those nuns. Humor is just humor, though. Often, it's a bit tasteless when coming from me. :yes:

crp,

I was serious. If the post/image offend you, I will remove them. I just wanted to make sure first that you understood that I have the utmost respect for those nuns. Humor is just humor, though. Often, it's a bit tasteless when coming from me. :yes:

The aspect of the picture that strikes a nerve is the swastika and use of Himmler. Can you take that part out or find a similar picture without it?

And yes, I got the humor of the post before seeing the image.

addendum- the image as it is adds nothing to the humor.

Edited by crp