Outloook Express VS Thunderbird

murphy2003

Guest LilBambi

What's easiest is not always what's best.Outlook Express comes with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Windows. That's easy.But it is not very safe...no matter what you do, unless you are willing to go move back and forth between clicking/unclicking the attachment security for virus protection in the Tools|Internet Options, Security Tab, every time you need to get an attachment that might be considered 'potentially' dangerous. Also running with only plain text helps but then all the links may or may not work and emails may appear weird at times the way Outlook Express does it.This was one thing that a client learned the hard way. He was faithfully doing everything to keep his computer up to date including his AV software (Norton). But he refused to click/unclick the attachment security for virus protection in the Tools|Internet Options, Security Tab because it was a nuisance (and he's right!), but he got wormed by accidentally opening an email that used a tricky social engineering technique that came through his company email server and it came in before his company email server had the update that included this worm. (He has to use OE because his company requires it). He had to pay to get his computer cleaned up again. You can bet he turns the attachment security item off/on now. :whistling:Thunderbird on the other hand, will not execute any code in emails, and you can turn off HTML and read emails only in place text by default very easily, AND you can turn off images inline (which is not possible in Outlook Express), so you are much safer. Also, did I mention that you CAN use the preview pane unlike Outlook Express with many of the current wave of viruses because some of them can be executed just by viewing with a preview pane in Outlook Express.It may not be as easy as using something that comes with Windows, but it is in my estimation a much safer email client....and I've used alot of them before I settled on Thunderbird.Hope that helps a little. There are many more things that make Thunderbird a much better option but these might be the things that would be of most interest security wise.

I would use thunderbird except that I can't check my hotmail accounts with it. Other than being lazy and opening up my hotmail account via the web, thats the only reason why I haven't switched. I hope that someday they'll allow for other email clients to use the hotmail account optionJames

nlinecomputers

Well I use Outlook, not outlook express, but only because it's the only real program that has the features arranged like I like. If they'd make an Evolution for Windows I drop it. Or if I ever get fed up and ditch quickbooks then I'll goto Linux and not look back. Then part of me says just buy a Mac and the Mac version of QBs and avoid all of that. But I ain't that rich. :P

yeah i would do the same. I'd drop OE and outlook in general for evolution. I loved it on the linux partition i had going. I wonder if they would ever think about making a version for windowsJames

Just as Fran said: OE is "easier"... There's nothing complicated about it and it's already installed on your machine... Thunderbird IMO, is just better... It has none of the security negatives of OE, and has a few different features that work very well. I don't know that I'd survive without the junk-mail filtering. I've got it tuned very well and don't even worry about it anymore. :P Having multiple email accounts, I can say that Thunderbird handles them better as well. Tbird creates a whole new set of folders for each account, keeping everything well organized because it's all separated. The themes and extensions are also a great benefit. My suggestion to you is to download and try a few things... I'd also recommend trying other software such as Eudora or The Bat!, etc. Everyone has their own preferences, so trial and error is the best way to go. o:)

hotmail popper would be nice, although I don't like programs running in the background. Call it anal if you will. I want the option to check all my email accounts at once without the issue of background programs runningJames

Guest LilBambi

Good luck murphy2003 .. the junk mail controls are a great feature!Be sure to go to the second tab (Adaptive Filters) and click the "Enable adaptive junk mail detection and everything will be available on the first tab (Settings).Although all spam filtering software is being taxed with the devious spammers these days, the junk mail controls in Thunderbird sure take the hassle out of it and you don't have to load a separate program to do so.BTW: I too have multiple accounts set up in Thunderbird all under one 'identity' ... I really like that feature!

SonicDragon
Having multiple email accounts, I can say that Thunderbird handles them better as well. Tbird creates a whole new set of folders for each account, keeping everything well organized because it's all separated.
This is also one of my favorite features. It makes everything so much easier!