Imageshack not free any more

sunrat

After years of faithful use and my average uploads of about 0.3 images per week, Imageshack have now "upgraded" their site to subscription. $1/month introductory price. Old images will stay but no new uploads if you don't subscribe.

https://imageshack.com/promo

How will the new ImageShack work if you're an existing customer?

Simply login to the new site and all your current images and albums will be there. ImageShack is moving to a premium service model. Starting February 1st 2014 all old accounts, that do not have a premium or pro subscription, will be given a free trial period of 30 days to try the new ImageShack. After the free trial period ends, all old accounts that would like to continue using ImageShack services will need to subscribe to one of the offered premium subscription plans.

The new site is really nice, but I just don't upload enough images to justify paying for it. I wonder if Imagebam will follow? I think I had an account there sometime long ago.

Oh well, I have Box.com and Pastebin accounts anyway.

securitybreach

Well it works fine on Android but of course, I do not actually use the app but instead I click on the drop down Share button and choose imgur. The rest is done automatically

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow. I won't say anything disparaging about ImageShack. I've utilized their service for many years without paying much (I made some small donations a few years ago), so I'd have no leg to stand on were I to start birching about their new for-a-fee service. I'm sure they have server costs and equipment maintenance needs. It is what it is. Can't expect a service like that to remain free forever; not in this day and age. I expect PhotoBucket will be making the leap to for-a-fee service soon, too.

The old service had advertising to help support it. The new one will be ad free.

Enjoy the free internet while we have it. Slowly it is changing where big, formerly free sites see money to be made (and costs that aren't covered by ads). Even theage.com.au , our local newspaper site, limits to 30 free articles per month now. I go to news.com.au if I subsequently read too much news. :) Or the BBC.

How many nickel and dime you to death subscriptions can you deal with?

Exactly. If every site I visit started charging $1/month, I would have to give up using the internet.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

The old service had advertising to help support it. The new one will be ad free.

Enjoy the free internet while we have it. Slowly it is changing where big, formerly free sites see money to be made (and costs that aren't covered by ads). Even theage.com.au , our local newspaper site, limits to 30 free articles per month now. I go to news.com.au if I subsequently read too much news. :) Or the BBC.

I haven't seen an ad online or in an email in a decade.

No more free Internet? Well, nothing lasts forever.

Exactly. If every site I visit started charging $1/month, I would have to give up using the internet.

Well, ad revenue probably is not making enough to operate the sites. Server costs are not low for many of these sites,

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

... people pay...

40 -100 month for cable tv which is mostly devoid of decent content

30 - 90 month for dsl or cable or satellite internet

40 - 90 month for cell service (with 200 - 400 over runs under the old contracts)

90 month for coffee shop coffee

50 - 200 month for storage rental (garbage that they don't have room for in their 4000 sq ft house)

50 - 100 month car insurance

about 50% of your paycheck in taxes (directly removed + sales + property + end of year state & federal)

10 - 40 month online gaming (per game)

10's to 100's month flood / wind hail / other homeowners / renters insurance

And your point? ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Needs? I don't think so. Let me scratch off a few that I have no need for...

0 -100 month for cable tv which is mostly devoid of decent content

30 - 90 month for dsl or cable or satellite internet - Alright, so here's one a I gotta' have.

40 - 90 month for cell service (with 200 - 400 over runs under the old contracts)

90 month for coffee shop coffee

50 - 200 month for storage rental (garbage that they don't have room for in their 4000 sq ft house)

50 - 100 month car insurance

about 50% of your paycheck in taxes (directly removed + sales + property + end of year state & federal) - No paycheck, no taxes.

10 - 40 month online gaming (per game)

10's to 100's month flood / wind hail / other homeowners / renters insurance - Nah... no homeowners insurance for me. Couldn't get any in Florida even if I wanted it. And we won't even talk about flood insurance here.

Anyway, I see Temmu's point now. He saying that if folks can pay $$$ for all this useless sheet that they THINK is essential to their lives, they ought to be able to afford $24/year for ImageShack. :yes: