EOL for AMD Big Core x86?

V.T. Eric Layton

Well it seems possible this will happen. I haven't seen any new AM3 series chipset in the pipeline, although now the FM2+ socket mobos are out to support the next generation of HSA chips. The "Fusion" pathway seems to be where AMD wants to go.

It looks as if the old discrete CPU and GPU model will be history in a few years - for basic consumer and business desktops at least. The new Athlon II X4 chips are actually GPU dead APUs ot at least stripped down APUs. They fit the FM socket not the AM.

I read somewhere that AMD did not put as much effort into boosting CPU performance in the Bulldozer line because they intend long term to offload a lot of their computing tasks onto the GPU.

Even Intel hasn't really done much to rev up its CPU performance, concentrating more on die shrink, TDP, battery life. A decent Sandy Bridge processor will still work fine in most applications.

Having said all this I am sure somebody will still serve the needs of the hard core gamer - long term it may be Intel as they have the market share and technology lead.

V.T. Eric Layton

PC gamers, of which there are fewer and fewer these days, won't like CPU/GPU common die processors. The technology to match discrete video card performance is a long way off, I think.

Well, I'll go with that FX-6200 if I get the chance. But next time... an Intel? Blech! :icon8:

Hello,

It does seem the trend is towards laptops, tablets and all-in-ones (which are essentially laptops). AMD could be positioning itself to take over a larger percentage of that market.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

I suppose one could be naive and imagine that if AMD keeps pushing GPU development and holds their own with CPUs they'll have a decent APU that'll compete in most situations with discrete setups. I doubt they'll be up to TITAN performance anytime soon though.

Right now a relatively modest FX-6200 and GTX 650 Ti combo will absolutely blow away the highest performance A10 around. But the A10 with a discrete card like the GTX 650 will also be an excellent performer. It's just a waste of the APU technology to do that.

For general computing and watching video, the APU is just terrific. Combining an A8 APU with Linux and having the O/S on an SSD is a beautiful thing. IF SSDs come down in price such a setup would make a great all-in-one.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

...a relatively modest FX-6200 and GTX 650 Ti combo will absolutely blow away the highest performance A10 around. But the A10 with a discrete card like the GTX 650 will also be an excellent performer. It's just a waste of the APU technology to do that.

Most definitely. Which is why my next system (after the FX one) will probably feature a top o' the line Intel CPU (8-core) with dual Nvidia graphics cards. Guess I'll need a 1500W PSU for all that, huh? Liquid nitrogen cooling? ;)

maxresdefault.jpg