V.T. Eric Layton

I like those Athlon X2s. My music box PC in the workshop has an X2 4600+. It was just replaced by the home built A8-5600K machine. The X1250 video on the mobo isn't supported by AMD except in FOSS format, and a few years ago this was horrible. So I have an Nvidia card in there.

Edited by raymac46

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/17947348925272239025?q=ddr2/ddr3+mobo&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.56643336,d.ZG4,pv.xjs.s.en_US.QSuMw9GwAyY.O&biw=1016&bih=845&tch=1&ech=1&psi=aOeLUsmHJ8PwhQfmk4DoBA.1384900458828.3&prds=hsec:online&ei=gOeLUpaSHZKAhAfgnoGYCg&ved=0CM0DENkrMBM

Compatible with both am2+ and am3+ cpu's and ddr2 and ddr3 memory (dependent on the cpu). Packed with asrock xfast and oc features. With onboard graphics.key features:cpusupport for socket am3+ processorssupport for socket am3 processors: amd phenom ii x6 / x4 / x3 / x2 (except 920 / 940) / athlon ii x4 / x3 / x2 / sempron processorssupport for socket am2+ / am2 processors: amd phenom fx / phenom / athlon 64 fx / athlon 64 x2 dual-core / athlon x2 dual-core / athlon 64 / sempron processor

If you have everything apart from the mobo then something like the above may be another way to go. :breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, as some of you may have noticed, it's been 24+ hours since I went offline to attempt another Frankenputer. To make a long story short, it didn't work out as planned.

Firstly, my Phenom 9750 is either toast along with its original mobo or I may have had to flash BIOS with an update to get it to work on the older Gigabyte board. Either way, it didn't work.

Fine, I tried to re-purpose ericsshop02 with the Athlon 64 X2 4000+ to use as a temporary main system, anyway. The problem here is I have no usable SATA drives. They are all scrap metal at this point (all data backed up, though).

After all this, I decided late last night to just revert ericsshop02 back to original condition and set it back up out in the shop. I'm typing on it now, actually. All is well in the shop. :)

I've set my Inspiron back up as my main system in the house along with my Latitude as my office system and portable unit. All's well there now, too.

I have a nice Cooler Master Elite 430 case, DVD writer, modem card, GeForce GTS-450 vid card, 650W Arctic Cooling PSU, numerous highspeed case fans, etc. All I need is a mobo, CPU, RAM, and a couple new SATA drives. That means I'm back to the $400+ dollar estimate I posted above somewhere.

Time to get started on that Santa Claus letter writing campaign, I guess... or hit that lottery. ;)

Later...

Well it may take a bit of time but in the long run you'll probably be happier with the FX CPU, a modern chipset on the mobo (USB 3 support), DDR3, SATA3. Legacy can only take you so far. The other stuff looks to be first class.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll be heading out to go pick my brother up at the airport in a few minutes. I'll be buying my lottery tickets on the way home. ;)