Computer that refuses to shut down

marcos9999

This is a pc I've put together recently. It works great but has this one glitch, it re start after a few seconds after I tell it to shut down. I remember having this problem with another computer but don't remember how I solved it...I think it was something related to a multi media setting but I can't find it on Windows 8

Thanks

See if this suggestion from Microsoft Community works:

Please use the command line to check if it works fine.

a. Press Windows Key + R

b. In the run box, type shutdown /t 0 and press enter.

This should force the system to shut down, as well as force any open applications to close with no timeout. The command that is run when you use the Settings menu on the Charms bar is basically the same, but a brief timeout is given in case you forgot to save and close something.

This is a home made computer. Works fine no other problem, the only thing is that after shut down it comes right back a few seconds after the shut down, but sometimes at different lengths of time. Have anyone seen this?

Thanks

Guest LilBambi

May also want to go the the UEFI BIOS and tell it to not turn back on after a shutdown/power failure. That should prevent it from restarting if it's a TRUE shutdown.

Also check to be sure that wake on LAN is turned OFF?

The hybrid shut down options appeared to somewhat alter the behavior, it prolonged the off time but a few hours later at random it powered itself on. I was not able to find the WOL function on my BIOS. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H board and it has it's own BIOS screen. So I still not sure what is the cause

Thanks

Problem found. Video card not fully supported by board. A GeforceT GTX 650 Ti not fully supported by Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H. Removed the card and computer worked just fine. I actually impressed with the performance of the board itself without any video card...notice no difference at all in the performance.

Problem found. Video card not fully supported by board. A GeforceT GTX 650 Ti not fully supported by Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H.

Wow what a strange problem. I've never heard of that one before. Good sleuthing!

I have a much older Gigabyte mobo (EP45-UD3R) with a GTX 560 Ti, seems to work well.

Removed the card and computer worked just fine. I actually impressed with the performance of the board itself without any video card...notice no difference at all in the performance.

You will notice when you play Crysis 3.

I have that video card in my Acer Veriton M 6610G desktop and it works perfectly. I certainly wouldn't try playing my Train Simulator game without it.

Have you checked with Gigabyte to see if they have a BIOS update that might fix things for you?

I have that video card in my Acer Veriton M 6610G desktop and it works perfectly. I certainly wouldn't try playing my Train Simulator game without it.

Have you checked with Gigabyte to see if they have a BIOS update that might fix things for you?

I have the latest BIOS updated. The funny thing about this problem was that the computer would turn itself on a random times, like 7 hours later, 4 hours later I even though it was related to AC power issues in my home. After removing the GEFORCE no event. Now I'll call GIGABYTE and ask for a fully supported video card.

Wow what a strange problem. I've never heard of that one before. Good sleuthing!

I have a much older Gigabyte mobo (EP45-UD3R) with a GTX 560 Ti, seems to work well.

You will notice when you play Crysis 3.

Yes...a very strange problem just turn on out of the blue at the most random times as if a gosh was in there. Yes I will replace the video card with some fully supported, will ask for help from GIGABYTE

Interesting. I can't say for sure I wouldn't have a similar problem because after I shut down I kill the power completely with my power bar switch. I do have a Gigabyte mobo in my home built but it's an AMD APU based one with no discrete video card of any type. I also kill it with a power bar switch.